Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Configuring two 4-ch. amps??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:38 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Question Configuring two 4-ch. amps??

Okay audio guru types, I'm lost (as usual, I know...):

So I'm set up right now a Sony DSX-310BTX using the preamp outputs to a single Soundstream PN4.520 amp running the following speaker setup:

Biketronics 7.1s in the fairing and Biketronics HAT 6.5s in the lower fairing pods, run in parallel off the front channel of the amp.

Pioneer TS-D1602R 6.5s in the tour pak pods and Pioneer TS-D6902Rs in the Hogtunes Lids run in parallel off the rear channel of the amp. (these speakers are subject to change: I'd ideally like to have Biketronics speakers in both locations; possibly 7.1s in the pods and their 6X9 kit in the lids for better weather resisitance)

My question is this:

What should the wiring setup be to run a second SS amp (or similar 4ch amp) in the tour pak so I can power the back of the bike on it's own amplifier? How do I connect the second amp to the head unit? Does the second amp get it's own power/ground connections separate from the connections at the front of the bike? The latter part isn't such a huge question, my main question is how in heck do I connect the second amp to the Sony (for rear signal)? Also, where's the best place to locate an amp at the back of the bike while losing the minimum amount of storage space (and preventing a heat issue)?

Is a second amp TRULY necessary? Meaning, am I running a risk of damage to any of the speakers for lack of power? Or risking the amp in some way currently? This setup is simple enough, and in my brief experiments (haven't had much riding time since the lid install), it sounds good to ME, but...

Please chime in!

Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 PM
4nic8
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does the head unit (sony) your using have 2 RCA or 4 RCA Preamp outputs? if it has only 2 (a left and a right) then you would use RCA Y Adapters to run a separate set of RCA cables to the second amp, you will not have fader control, but then you already wouldn't if it only had 1 set anyway.

If it has 2 sets or more, they should be labeled front, rear, sub. Front goes to front amp, rear to rear amp, anything marked sub is "generally" setup as a mono output so it won't have stereo separation.

is a second amp truly necessary, well it comes down to what the primary amp is rated for, ohm stability, wattage, and what its overall performance has been. if your running a 2 channel amp you could just change to a 4 channel amp thereby using just 1 device. 4 channel amps are generally a little larger, although with Class D amps its not much different size size anymore. 2 channel amps can be cheaper - although generally by a very small amount. Some people might go with (2) 2channel amps instead of 1 - 4 channel because they have the space, already own a two channel so why not use the investment, or want an output and ohm stability level at a size and price point they can only get in the 2 channel variety. the nice thing is you have options, you just have to figure out what you really want.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:27 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You would be going from 65 watts per channel , to 100 watts per channel. I'd say that's a pretty significant difference, especially with those speakers. The Pioneer 6X9's will take all the power you can throw at them !!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

[quote=4nic8;12644505]does the head unit (sony) your using have 2 RCA or 4 RCA Preamp outputs? if it has only 2 (a left and a right) then you would use RCA Y Adapters to run a separate set of RCA cables to the second amp, you will not have fader control,

This is correct. I have mine set up the same way. Ideally you want each speaker to have it's own channel. You need exactly 6.5 ft of RCA from the tour pak to the HU to make it neat. (2 lines) As GP said those pioneers will take whatever you throw at them.

Is the second amp truely necessary? A big fat YES! Matter of fact Just go with the TN4.900D in the tour pak! Sweet Amp!

The second Amp would have a fused power wire and ground as well. Mine is mounted to the front of the tourpak.

Last edited by Gannicus; 04-27-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Okay; I tend to over-explain my thinking (ask Ultra!), so bear with me please!

Here's how I see the various connections, and keep in mind, I've got a cold and tore a muscle in my side, so I'm feeling as sharp as a marble just now:

First, here's the equipment that I HAVE right now:

Sony DSX-310BTX head unit (separate 4v preamps for front/rear/sub)
1 pair Biketronics 7.1" speakers (mounted in the batwing)
1 pair Biketronics 6.5" speakers (HAT version, mounted in the lower fairing pods)
1 pair Pioneer TS-D1602R 6.5" speakers (in the Tour Pak speaker pods)
1 pair Pioneer TS-D6902R 6X9" speakers (in the HogTunes speaker lids)

All the speakers are 4 ohm, and are currently wired in parallel (creating a 2ohm load for each channel) to the respective channel (F/R) of the single Soundstream Picasso Nano 4.520 amp that's mounted in the fairing above the radio (the UltraNutZ install method).

Here's where I start to get fuzzy (but I THINK I'm correct):

To set it up so that each pair of speakers is getting the full amount of rated power (at 4ohms) for each channel, I know need a second amp to mount and wire into the Tour Pak, preferably with the ability to keep the TP detachable, so the addition of quick-connects for all the wiring will be necessary.

Since each amp has a front and rear channel, it seems to me that to keep the head unit's fade function working right, I would have both amps' front channels connected via a Y cable off the Sony deck's Front-channel RCA connection, with one short RCA going to the fairing mounted front channel and one long RCA cable with a means to keep it detachable connected to the tour-pak mounted amp's front channel. The rear channels would be connected exactly the same way.

THEN, I'd need to run speaker wires for the 6.5"s in the lowers back to the tour pack to connect to that amp's "Front" channel speaker connection. I'd then have each pair of my front-of-the-bike speakers wired to the two separate "front" channels; the 7.1s connected inside the fairing and the 6.5s connected to the TP. I would then connect the wiring that was run for the Pioneer 6.5's running into the fairing to connect to that amp's "Rear" channel, and then reconfigure the 6X9s wiring so they ran into the TP for that amp's "Rear" channel.

More questions: for the power/ground leads out of the pack, is there an issue with running those two wires together to the battery? What's a good spot to connect the ground wire to under the seat (I'm guessing direct connection to the battery isn't recommended)? Can the signal RCAs run alongside the power/ground wires without issue? Do I have to run the speaker wiring into the TP in a manner that they are away from either the signal or power leads? Is there a need for a remote-on lead to go to the second amp as well as the front amp?

Is that arrangement correct?

I know I can't add another 4ch amp in the fairing, and don't want to give up major space in the TP to add a bigger, more powerful 4ch amp in the TP. I think I'm right, but just want someone who's done this to chime in.

Also- Gannicus, how much space did you lose in the TP? And how did you mount that amp in there? Looks like you have a plate that you mounted the amp on, then you bolted through the TP (I'm guessing you drilled new holes, and didn't try to use the small holes for the pouch, correct?).

Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could always mount the rear amp in one of the saddlebags.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:42 PM
4nic8
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, i would use 1 4 channel amp for the front (batwing, and lowers) so out of the front RCA outputs from the sony, id use 2 y adapters and connect all 4 RCA cables into the amp.

I would use the second 4 channel amp for the rear 4 speakers doing the same thing with y adapters - also use the y adapters right at the amp so uyour not having to run 2 full sets of RCAs from the headunit to the amps -

This method would allow you to continue to use the fader function, front to back anyway. if you wanted to control in addition the upper and lower of the front you could wire it so the balance would cover that. for instance use a y adapter off the LEFT front rca output of the headunit to go to the front left & right of the amp and the right front rca output to the rear on the amp. this would give you dirty way if adjusting output between lowers and upper speakers by using the balance control. only wierd thing would be in a song that does stereo seperation - tone out of left only or right only - would play upper lower.

hopefully thats not too confusing..

Old 04-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also use a 4180 and run everything off one amp. More money, yes, but more power to each speaker, simpler install, and you lose no space in your tour pack.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
You could also use a 4180 and run everything off one amp. More money, yes, but more power to each speaker, simpler install, and you lose no space in your tour pack.
How well does the 4180 fit in the fairing? And if I'm reading it's specs right, I can run my exact same setup (each pair of speakers wired in parallel), so really the only change would be how it mounts compared to the SS.

Of course, I would need to save some pennies for a bit; $650 is like four Soundstreams!!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vhmike73
How well does the 4180 fit in the fairing?
Fits right on top of the radio.

Quick Reply: Configuring two 4-ch. amps??