Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooking up radio, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hooking up radio, need help.

I have a 2011 FLHTP. These came with no radio. I purchased a Rockford PBR300x2 amp, biketronics 7.1 and a sony BT3100 reciever and also the radio install kit.

I'm looking for the best way to hook this system up. I want the radio to come on when I turn the key on, I've seen some systems set up with a switch to turn on to power the radio.

What gauge speaker wire should I use?
The amp says to ground directly to the battery, is that what people are doing?
I'm a little confused on how to do this.
I have RCA cables from the reciever to the amp.
Any info would be great.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:19 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RED_5
I want the radio to come on when I turn the key on.
Not really any different than installing a car stereo. I'd tap the orange wire that comes off the main headlight. Euro spec models have a tiny 5 watt light in their headlight that US models don't. There is two wires that separate from the main light's plug. That orange wire will power on your stereo when you turn the key. I'd run the +/- amp power to the battery directly. Speaker wires for what ever the amp calls for. The only addition I'd suggest is some form of handlebar mounted volume controller. HTH.

Last edited by yzergod; 04-22-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

There are a bunch of amp install kits that would work great for you and RF makes one that will work great. Only thing I can add to above is an in line fuze in the hot wire (closer to battery the better) to the amp. Both pos and neg will run under the tank and to the battery. Spend a few minutes and read a few of UN's instalation instruction sheets, a sticky in this forum with great install advise. You will learn alot from all of our mistakes. Hours and hours of reading here for ya. Good choices made so far on equipment, take your time and you will do fine. Lots of good people here to help if ya get in trouble.
Kris

Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I have a 2011 FLHTP. These came with no radio. I purchased a Rockford PBR300x2 amp, biketronics 7.1 and a sony BT3100 reciever and also the radio install kit.

I'm looking for the best way to hook this system up. I want the radio to come on when I turn the key on, I've seen some systems set up with a switch to turn on to power the radio.

What gauge speaker wire should I use?
The amp says to ground directly to the battery, is that what people are doing?
I'm a little confused on how to do this.
I have RCA cables from the reciever to the amp.
Any info would be great.
both yzergod and blackpearl#1 have you covered here but I'll add a little more to it.

the radio is going to require 2 power sources. 1 (usually red wire) will be connected to the orange/white wire yzergod pointed out. The other is a yellow wire and this needs to be connected to battery power. this is what maintains your channel and clock memory.
the ground wire (black) needs to be connected to ground. I would find a good solid spot to connect it to, not the black wire on the headlamp harness.

for the amp, simply run 2 10ga wires from the fairing back to the battery box. As blackpearl#1 pointed out, put a fuse holder on the wire connected to the + terminal and put a 25A fuse in it. The other connect directly to the ground terminal.

for inputs to the amp, being that the RCA outputs from that particular radio are 2v, I would not use them. These PBR amps don't play well with 2v RCA outputs. Cut the RCA connector off the amp input harness as illustrated in the PBR instruction sheet. Now connect your front speaker wires on your radio to the amp input that you just cut the RCA connectors off of.

set your gains, you're done.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM
RED_5
Road Master

Thanks for the info.
So don't use the RCA cables?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks for the info.
So don't use the RCA cables?
that is correct sir. use the speaker wires on the head unit to go into the amp. Save the RCAs you cut off the amp inputs for later use with a 4v or higher output signal.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:00 AM
RED_5
Road Master

So just trying to figure out why not to use the RCA cables. Some tell me to use them others don't. Why are they there if you shouldn't use them? Why are the wires better then the RCA cables?
I'm connecting everthing this weekend and would rather do it once.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:16 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

use them. Then disconnect them and use the speaker wire inputs. You'll see/hear for yourself.

These PBR amps like I said do not play very well with the 2v RCA outputs on aftermarket head units or the line level adapters for stock head units.

It takes voltage to drive an amp to it's recommended power ratings. 2v simply does not do it with this amp.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 AM
gator9329
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good stuff thanks guy

Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM
RED_5
Road Master

Yes great advice, couldn't have done it without this forum.
System sounds great! Didn't use the RCA's.
Those speakers, amp and head unit work great together.