Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please share your expieriance

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:12 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Please share your expieriance

Ok guys I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of hogtune speaker lids, as far as the speakers go I'm still In limbo. I'm trying to decide between the jbl p963, the biketronics 6x9, the pioneer 6902r, and the Polk mm691 are a option. I didn't have any luck with the Polk mm651s but I believe the issues with that speaker are only with that specific speaker so I'm not ruling polk out as a whole.

I know there are a lot of people running the pioneers mainly becouse of there price point and the bass they produce, but what's it really like having these speakers in your bags? Do they sound good out on the road or just in the parking lot? Is it a real pain having to worry about getting them wet? Will they survive if they do get wet?
Biketronics, as far as biketronics go I have a lot less concerns with them. There water resistant, they would keep my bags dry, LIFETIME WARRANTY, great customer service, and from what I've read they will hold there own with almost any speaker out there as far as sound goes. The question I have is are they worth the money? I know some say there are a few that may sound slightly better. With that said the ones that may sound slightly better aren't water resistant don't have the warrant, ect... So to you that have made a switch to or from biketronics what are your thoughts?
As far as Polk and the jbl speakers I mentioned the polks have a reasonable price and are water resistant, I've had other Polk products and have always liked the sound. How do they stack up and are they reliable? The jbl p963 come highly recommended from a well respected source but I've read very little about them and from what I see they have a decent price as well don't don't have any water resistance qualities but I don't know much about them so any info would be helpful.
Any info from this wealth of knowledge forum would be much appreciated. Please share the good the bad and the ugly about any expieriances that you've had. Oh and always keep the rubber side down!!

Old 04-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
Ok guys I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of hogtune speaker lids, as far as the speakers go I'm still In limbo. I'm trying to decide between the jbl p963, the biketronics 6x9, the pioneer 6902r, and the Polk mm691 are a option. I didn't have any luck with the Polk mm651s but I believe the issues with that speaker are only with that specific speaker so I'm not ruling polk out as a whole.

I know there are a lot of people running the pioneers mainly becouse of there price point and the bass they produce, but what's it really like having these speakers in your bags? Do they sound good out on the road or just in the parking lot? Is it a real pain having to worry about getting them wet? Will they survive if they do get wet?
Biketronics, as far as biketronics go I have a lot less concerns with them. There water resistant, they would keep my bags dry, LIFETIME WARRANTY, great customer service, and from what I've read they will hold there own with almost any speaker out there as far as sound goes. The question I have is are they worth the money? I know some say there are a few that may sound slightly better. With that said the ones that may sound slightly better aren't water resistant don't have the warrant, ect... So to you that have made a switch to or from biketronics what are your thoughts?
As far as Polk and the jbl speakers I mentioned the polks have a reasonable price and are water resistant, I've had other Polk products and have always liked the sound. How do they stack up and are they reliable? The jbl p963 come highly recommended from a well respected source but I've read very little about them and from what I see they have a decent price as well don't don't have any water resistance qualities but I don't know much about them so any info would be helpful.
Any info from this wealth of knowledge forum would be much appreciated. Please share the good the bad and the ugly about any expieriances that you've had. Oh and always keep the rubber side down!!
Of the speakers you mentioned my experience have been with the 6 x 9 Polks and the Pioneers. I've heard the JBL's on another guys bike but they were the JBL GTO938's. I've not heard the P963's.

IMO at the price point every guy who owns an ULTRA should have a pair of Pioneers! Either on the shelf or in the bike. They require POWER! Don't get em if your only gonna put 75 watts to em. You won't be Happy. 150 watts is a whole different story!!!

The 6 x 9 POLKS require much less power and sound awesome in town. But on the road, the sound seems to fade at about 65 to 70 mph. and you can't hear em as well.

I can hear my Kickers at 90. . . That's my .02 on the subject.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:38 AM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an Alpine 149BT head unit, BT 4180 amp, BT (HAT) 7.1's in fairing, HT lids with BT (HAT) 6x9's and I am happy. I never have to turn it past 26/35 volume at any speed even over the D&D Fatcats and it is loud AND more importantly, CLEAR. Dry bags and warranty weighed heavily on my decision, however....I'm pretty sure the only way for me to do any better is to add more speakers and power.....Hmmmm.....

Old 04-19-2014, 07:47 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

I've done a lot of research and asked plenty of questions as well. I was torn between the Pioneers and the BT's. I decided to do with the Pioneers and a PBR300x2. HT Lids are currently at the painter so I can only comment on my research and basically you can't go wrong with the Pioneers based on price.

If the get wet and blow up I not gona cry to much based on the price. Everything should be back from the painter and installed next weekend.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by camsmith
I have an Alpine 149BT head unit, BT 4180 amp, BT (HAT) 7.1's in fairing, HT lids with BT (HAT) 6x9's and I am happy. I never have to turn it past 26/35 volume at any speed even over the D&D Fatcats and it is loud AND more importantly, CLEAR. Dry bags and warranty weighed heavily on my decision, however....I'm pretty sure the only way for me to do any better is to add more speakers and power.....Hmmmm.....
LOL, Camsmith if you have a more powerful amp than the 4180 (That fits in the fairing) Please Share! You already have the ultimate set up Sir! I can see more speakers but that amp is a beast!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:18 AM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
LOL, Camsmith if you have a more powerful amp than the 4180 (That fits in the fairing) Please Share! You already have the ultimate set up Sir! I can see more speakers but that amp is a beast!
Nah others on here have closer to the "ultimate", but mine sounds pretty good for just 4 speakers. I'm not getting rid of the 4180, just thinkin of maybe adding Some lowers to house some BT 6.5's and maybe a BT 2180 or Fosgate PBR 300x2 in addition to what i already have...

Old 04-19-2014, 10:34 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master

So do the pioneers sound good out on the open road at highway speeds?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master

I'm also very curious about the infinity kappa 6x9s, 110w rms 2ohm 96db

Old 04-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Direwolf64
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished installing the Pioneer 6902's in the Hogtunes lids. Powering them with a RF PBR 300X2. They sound great in the garage! Waiting on the weather to go on a ride!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Doesn't really answer your question but I currently have Polk 691's in my lids and powered by PBR 300x4. In my garage, the bass is thumping but on the road, unless I'm leaning heavily back, I can't even tell that they're on--an again, that's with them in the lids. I can't imagine that 6x9's facing the wheels will be any better.

Quick Reply: Please share your expieriance