Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Think I Need Some New Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM
vitalidle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Think I Need Some New Pipes

After many hours of reading and surfing....I have come up with some audio parts and pieces to soothe my psyche from this sucker punch they termed the polar vortex. Just last weekend here in the good ole UP of Michigan.

I must say I couldn't have done it without everyone who has contributed to this section of the forum. Thank you. I started with a 09 Standard which you all know has no HU. Well that was okay for awhile, but the novelty of the loud pipes have somewhat abated. So it was time to break her out of her lonely winter existence shackled to the garage for what seemed like infinity, and add some High Fidelity. Here is a pic fresh from the dungeon.....

Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 PM
vitalidle
Intermediate

I decided to keep it simple.....well that bit me in the ***! I wanted to keep my storage space where the HU usually resides, so if I was going to accomplish that goal there was a tradeoff....no HU means I have no handlebar controls....and that just plain sucks. In the end I have chosen to follow this path of no HU, and come up with a way to still have handlebar controls over my ipod. When I was coming up with my plan I wanted speakers in the fairing, as well as adding lowers with speakers. I wanted to go with components up top, so I could utilize some tweets in the gauge holes that are filled with a plastic cup on a standard instead of gauges. Those cups came in real handy with my tweet installation. To back up a bit I was going to install the aquatic av HU in my initial plan with just fairing speakers with no amp on the cheap, so I started looking for 2ohm speakers that the aquatic av could push. Well there really isn't a lot of 2ohm speakers to choose from that caught my attention.....infinity's or Jbl's were a couple I liked, so I purchased the 660c's for the fairing.

As I progressed with my plan I found out you could drive an Ipod with just an amp, so this really got my attention, and the plan was altered. Well now I have 2ohm speakers, and no HU to drive them, so whats next....the soundstream amp seemed to be the answer, and was 2ohm stable. Plan B might just work out after all......

Last edited by vitalidle; 04-15-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:23 PM
vitalidle
Intermediate

I decided since I saved $250 with no HU, then why not add the lowers. I was all set to buy factory lowers, until I came across the thread Ultra had on the ebay lowers. I figured what the hell..... the price was right, and if they sucked I wasn't out much drinking money, but if they worked I might as well finish the lowers off with cvo pods, and some matching speakers to fill the space.

Last edited by vitalidle; 04-15-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 PM
vitalidle
Intermediate

And of course the vital in the idle......

Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 PM
vitalidle
Intermediate

I think its time to get the ole pony on the stand.....

Time to open her up for some tender loving care.....

A close up of a stock Electra glide standard.....what did the factory forget to install.....they should have better QAQC.......

Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 PM
vitalidle
Intermediate

I decided to take my time and do this once.....so I chose to take the fuel tank off to run the amp power wire in the frame wire chase......

A close up pic.....

Looking back at my install notes its scribbled with a note about taking a beer break at this moment.....

Old 04-16-2014, 04:55 PM
vitalidle
Intermediate

Time to get some speakers installed....I went with Eastern performance speaker adaptors. I must admit it took a beer, and some head scratching to figure out how to adapt the adaptor to the fairing. Boy did I feel like a rookie when the light went on.

The JBL 6.5's fit like they were meant to be there.

Next I wired up the amp above my glove box, and used the 2 brackets off ebay to secure it.

I decided to tackle the lowers next. Putting the first one together took me a couple of hours, and lots of beer. I used ronnies online microfiche....that was a great resource for putting the lowers together. The second one only took 20 minutes to my relief. However I did mount the first one on the bike, and of course I forgot to drill the hole for the speaker wire.....another rookie mistake.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM
vitalidle
Intermediate

It was time to figure out the tweets....the tweets on the Jbl 660's are too small to fit the gauge holes. Some brainstorming, and of course more beer I decided to pick up the cups that fill the gaugle holes, and see if the speaker would fit with them drilled out.

The cup that the tweet fits into was threaded, so that was threaded into the gauge cup for a nice snug fit. Once that was accomplished fitting the lower speakers to the pods was pretty straight forward.....however the JBL covers were too big to fit the pod. I decided I would give the dremel tool a workout and shave some weight. Worked out pretty dog gone good....

Old 04-16-2014, 05:22 PM
vitalidle
Intermediate

That's how she sits at the moment....Will finish up securing the wiring, and button the fairing back up this weekend. I will give you my final thoughts on my little project this weekend. I will try to get some video of some sound for you all as well.....

Old 04-16-2014, 05:51 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

most interested in your source for audio to the amp and how you integrated that into the handlebar controls.

Quick Reply: I Think I Need Some New Pipes