Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk mm651s completely destroyed in 800miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014 | 06:50 PM
ridedaddy
|
Road Master
Default Polk mm651s completely destroyed in 800miles

So I installed a ss4.520d and a set of polks in my 2013 sg over the winter and thought they sounded pretty awsome. Went to daytona bike week last week which was the first time I've really had the bike out since the install, other than just tooling around in the cold weather here at home. Anyway on my way from key west to daytona my stereo started acting up. I ended up only having one speaker and I could tell it's not right. After taking it apart I realized that both speakers are trashed!! The tweeters are hanging out of the speakers and appear to be melded off to the side!! Looks insaine!! Even the back of one of the speaker housings is melted looking and the magnate doesn't sit in the speaker straight anymore. I can't get pics on here for nothing but you should see these things!! Pm me your number if your interested in seeing them, I can text the pics. I have no idea why these things ended up so destroyed becouse they sounded good. I realize I was sending 130w to each speaker but this is unreal.

Last edited by ridedaddy; 03-21-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2014 | 07:03 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
So I installed a ss4.520d and a set of polks in my 2013 sg over the winter and thought they sounded pretty awsome. Went to daytona bike week last week which was the first time I've really had the bike out since the install, other than just tooling around in the cold weather here at home. Anyway on my way from key west to daytona my stereo started acting up. I ended up only having one speaker and I could tell it's not right. After taking it apart I realized that both speakers are trashed!! The tweeters are hanging out of the speakers and appear to be melded off to the side!! Looks insaine!! Even the back of one of the speaker housings is melted looking and the magnate doesn't sit in the speaker straight anymore. I can't get pics on here for nothing but you should see these things!! Pm me your number if your interested in seeing them, I can text the pics. I have no idea why these things ended up so destroyed becouse they sounded good. I realize I was sending 130w to each speaker but this is unreal.
Totally understand. . . I loved those speakers so much I replaced all 6 of mine 3 times. Same issue. I finally had to tap out . . . I thought Polk would have solved that issue by now.

Old 03-21-2014 | 07:11 PM
ridedaddy
|
Road Master

What is polks response to this? Will they replace them? How much power were you sending to yours?

Old 03-21-2014 | 07:12 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Do yourself a favor and replace them with the Biketronics 7.1's.

This is one of two reasons I replaced my Polks.

Old 03-21-2014 | 07:33 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master

2 years now and my 651s still sound great. I bought mine before all the problems started showing up, guess I was just lucky.

Old 03-21-2014 | 08:12 PM
ridedaddy
|
Road Master

Well I thought the 651s sounded good and I had read they won't last forever but I never dreamed a seven day vacation would be all they could handle. Is this the result of just over powering them? Would they have done this with less wattage?

Old 03-21-2014 | 08:29 PM
camsmith
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
Well I thought the 651s sounded good and I had read they won't last forever but I never dreamed a seven day vacation would be all they could handle. Is this the result of just over powering them? Would they have done this with less wattage?
In my opinion...Yes & No. You won't melt BT 7.1's like that and even if you are able to, they have a lifetime warranty

Old 03-21-2014 | 08:45 PM
ridedaddy
|
Road Master

I hear the biketronics 7.1s loud and clear and they are at the top of my list for sure. However I'm still trying to rap my head around what happened to these polks. I never even knew speakers got warm and would have never dreamed they got downright hot. Do you guys think the poly fill has something to do with this?

Old 03-21-2014 | 10:38 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master

I've never run poly on my speakers, and I've never had a problem...coincidence?

edit - my amp puts out plenty of watts, not sure what the problem is.

Old 03-21-2014 | 10:39 PM
sonnlaw
Cruiser

I put 4 mm651's in my ultra and one fried on my 1000 mile trip last week. It cracks and sounds hideous. Not satisfied since they are only around 2000 miles old. I use the 520x4 at about 10-11 o'clock and polyfil. I too will be getting the 7.1 when their back in stock.

Quick Reply: Polk mm651s completely destroyed in 800miles