Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk mm651s completely destroyed in 800miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014 | 10:22 AM
ridedaddy
|
Road Master

Well hopefully you get more than 5 days out of them!!!

Old 03-22-2014 | 11:19 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

I found this forum post at POLK By Ultranutz about the polk mm651 speakers. SPEAKER ISSUES

Basically their response was. The speakers were sold by unofficial dealers. Meaning.. the speakers sold by the Unautherised Dealers were reconditioned, 2nds rebuilt or re manufactured not through POLK.
So they could be Chines Rip off's or companies purchasing old and broken Polk speakers and doing the work themselves.

I purchased my MM651 from SonicElectronix and they state that they only buy and sell original parts so if these blow then I will go back to sonic.

Old 03-22-2014 | 11:29 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

I was confused when people were talking about polyfill as to me polyfill is a filler past or cement to fill in holes in plaster or gypsum.

However after doing some research it's just polyester pillow filler.

hahaha I was wondering how Plaster repair could be used...

Old 03-22-2014 | 12:35 PM
ridedaddy
|
Road Master

Highly highly doubtfull that I'm are knocks or remanufactured in any way. They came from a audio supplier, I will have to look to see where exactly I got them

Old 03-22-2014 | 10:24 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

The polks that I got and had in my boat that did the exact same thing came from Sonix. Sonix took them back as I had purchased the amp at the same time. I switched them out for something else, can't remember at the time.

Old 03-22-2014 | 10:37 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Frank Dukes
ive seen this on the forums for a while but have a pbr300x2 waitn to install to push the mm651s i put in last fall.. not a good feeling. oh well hopefully they last atleast til the bt7.1 backorder is gone
I have the same set-up. Ran it loud through a 105* heat wave in South Dakota last summer and they are still cranking' along!

Not everybody has issues with the Polks...

Old 03-22-2014 | 10:42 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by yzergod
I have the same set-up. Ran it loud through a 105* heat wave in South Dakota last summer and they are still cranking' along!

Not everybody has issues with the Polks...
+1! Mine are still going strong after 2 years, too bad they had a quality control issue. I still think they are the best deal for a bike, light weight, efficient, and sound great!

Old 03-23-2014 | 07:21 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
+1! Mine are still going strong after 2 years, too bad they had a quality control issue. I still think they are the best deal for a bike, light weight, efficient, and sound great!
+1 Very true. . .

Old 03-23-2014 | 07:54 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
I agree. The MM's sound good, until they turn into a $150 paper weight. And since ridedaddy just installed his, they continue to have quality problems. Hopefully Polk stands behind the warranty and replaces them for the OP.

Old 03-23-2014 | 10:29 AM
ridedaddy
|
Road Master

I'm very glad that there are some who have had good luck with them. I too thought they sounded good. As for me.... Not so much!! I've always believed that most of the time in life you get what you pay for, in this case I was buying several pieces at the same time and tried to save some money. Well... I got burned. Had I spent the extra $100 I would have a set of biketronics speakers and if they had a issue I would be sitting here with the piece of mind that the speakers have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Not to mention the biketronics are a way better speaker. As for getting the polks replace under warranty, who knows I will find out tomorrow when the dealer opens back up. If they do replace them, to be honest I will just probably sell them and go another route. Hopefully I can even get my hands on a pair of 7.1s right now with there back order going on... I've looked up a few places online that doesn't say "back ordered" on there website so I will make a few calls tomorrow. And for you people who love them so much if you seen what mine look like right now the thought of catching fire would atleast run through your mind! These things had to have gotten very hot. They melted the back of the speaker housing to the point of the magnet sitting in the back of them at an angle, and the tweeter melted out of the center of them as well. Feel free to pm me your numbers and I will be happy to text y'all pics.

Last edited by ridedaddy; 03-23-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Polk mm651s completely destroyed in 800miles