Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk mm651s completely destroyed in 800miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014 | 04:44 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
What is polks response to this? Will they replace them? How much power were you sending to yours?
I was running the Soundstream 520.D @ 130 watts per channel. Should not have been a problem. Those speakers are rated at 100 watts RMS. Almost a perfect combination.

The amp is fine. It's a defect in a certain batch of speakers. It's been discussed on this forum for the last two years.

Old 03-22-2014 | 05:31 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

Ok so my speakers are only 6 months old never used as yet as they are now getting fitted. If this is a batch problem you will soon know from me.

Has anyone been able to find out the cause? or Issue?

Old 03-22-2014 | 07:15 AM
ridedaddy
|
Road Master

Well all I can really say is heat became a issue at some point in the process. Either the tweeter came apart and then proceeded to melt down or they melted down and that was the main cause of the failer. Either way if I had it to do over again I would have to say that poly fill probably made this situation worse. After looking at a melted down speaker I would have to say insulating these speakers is a bad idea, I could be wrong. I'm hoping ultranutz will chime in at some point and maybe shed alittle light on what he has seen with these speakers. My next question would be are you folks running the biketronics 7.1 using Polly fill? Also is it common for speakers to produce heat? In my younger days with car stereos I recall amps running hot but never any heat from a speaker that I can recall?

Old 03-22-2014 | 07:30 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I have a set of 7.1's waiting to be installed. I'm also upgrading from the MM651's. In preparation for the install I asked about having to use polyfill with the 7.1's.

They seem like such beasts why would you need it?

But I was told by Ultranutz to use 3 thin layers in a 15x15" square wrapped around each speaker.

Old 03-22-2014 | 07:30 AM
BlessedHellride
Road Master

I had read about this and was on the fence between these Polks and the Hawg Wired 6.5". they are very comparable in all ways including price, except the HW speaker has the tweeter bridged instead of mounted through the cone like the Polks. Then with all of the complaints about meltdown's and bad batches that pushed me toward HW.
I think HD's boom speakers also have the tweeter bridged.
Instead of polyfil, I found a set of molded foam specifically for 6.5" speakers off of ebay that I just cut a slit for the speakers wires and that's it

Old 03-22-2014 | 07:39 AM
camsmith
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
Well all I can really say is heat became a issue at some point in the process. Either the tweeter came apart and then proceeded to melt down or they melted down and that was the main cause of the failer. Either way if I had it to do over again I would have to say that poly fill probably made this situation worse. After looking at a melted down speaker I would have to say insulating these speakers is a bad idea, I could be wrong. I'm hoping ultranutz will chime in at some point and maybe shed alittle light on what he has seen with these speakers. My next question would be are you folks running the biketronics 7.1 using Polly fill? Also is it common for speakers to produce heat? In my younger days with car stereos I recall amps running hot but never any heat from a speaker that I can recall?
I'm running the 7.1's with an Alpine 149BT head unit & BT 4180 amp and 3 15"x15" squares of polyfil wrapping each speaker, but I also know my head unit clips at about 27-28/35 on the volume dial and I never play it past 26/35. I can play it at 26/35 for as long as I want and no part of my system (amp included) is hot to the touch...

Last edited by camsmith; 03-22-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2014 | 08:01 AM
ridedaddy
|
Road Master

So what have you guys experienced with trying to get polk to replace these bad speakers? I probably won't reused them even if they do but it would be nice for them to give a new set since these are new, junk speakers!

Old 03-22-2014 | 08:08 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

IMO, the polyfill had nothing to do with the Polk's self destructing. People have been wrapping speakers for years with nothing but good results. This is the only speaker that people have had self destruct on them.

Magnets heat up at higher wattage, just like electric motors. That's how they work. Polk has a problem with a cheap assembly process and glue. Obviously it isn't with just one batch as ridedaddy just put his in.

Ridedaddy, I would get yours replaced. Polk has been very good about replacing speakers. Nothing on a mass production line is built the same, maybe your next set will be assembled better.

Old 03-22-2014 | 09:14 AM
ridedaddy
|
Road Master

Good to know, and you are correct my speakers were only purchased about three months ago. But do to the Illinois weather they have been unused until now. Anyway I'm hoping polk will replace them so I can offset some of the cost of the biketronics speakers. I assume the Polk speakers would hold up better for someone using a smaller amp.

Old 03-22-2014 | 10:19 AM
Frank Dukes
Tourer

ive seen this on the forums for a while but have a pbr300x2 waitn to install to push the mm651s i put in last fall.. not a good feeling. oh well hopefully they last atleast til the bt7.1 backorder is gone

Quick Reply: Polk mm651s completely destroyed in 800miles