Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood KMR-D558BT v. Sony MEX-M70BT

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:55 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Kenwood KMR-D558BT v. Sony MEX-M70BT

I'm re-doing my audio and need to pick a head unit. I'm definitely going w/ marine (because) and am deciding between a Kenwood KMR-D558BT and a Sony MEX-M70BT -- unless the forum talks me out of both. I wonder if anyone can offer comments.

These HUs are $150 and $200, respectively at Crutchfield. The specs appear to be quite similar (to me, a novice), although RMS output is KMR = 22 Sony = 14. Given the amp, I think ouput makes no difference. Is this correct?

I want CD and Bluetooth. Will almost always listen to Pandora. Never use radios and don't care about the phone.

I like the look of the KMR best.

The other system pieces are Biketronics 2180 amp and Focal PC 165. I'll probably always run just two speakers. I've BT's multi-mfger adaptor.

What you all think?

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Ratrod49
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sony has 5v outputs, that kenwood has 2.5v outputs.
If you use an amp the m70bt would be more powerful, yet with the BT amp you should have loads of headroom to push those PC165s either way.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:50 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd use the Biketronics 7.1's versus the Focals....Myself, unless you get into the K2 Focals, they don't sound very good.

Now if you are stuck on the Focal name, I'd upgrade to the K2 series.

The Rockford 300/2 is WAY cheaper than the 2180 also,........and probably won't be able to tell the difference.

And,....marine grade head unit.............pffft......marketing rhetoric !!

Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 AM
jefla
Road Master

Thanks so far. Why are larger output ratings better?

I already own the BT 2180 & Focals.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla

The greater the voltage on the pre-outs, the stronger the signal to the amp. Less distortion at higher volume and easier to set gains, which you won't have to worry about with the 2180.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming you are referring to pre-amps:

Higher pre-amp voltage is used to counter signal to noise ratio.
The higher the voltage the greater the percentage of signal to "noise"
Noise on pre-amp signals is usually picked up by inductive interference generated by other electronic systems around the pre-amp cables. The longer the cable run is, the greater the chance for the inclusion of noise. This is particularly present in car head units where the run is to the trunk, and there are alot of electronic components capable of generating interference.
In the case of most bike mounted amps, the amp is mounted on or near the radio with a very short cable run and a small amount of electronic components capable of generating noise. As long as a quality RCA cable is used, there will be almost no difference between a pre-amp signal at 2v as compared to a higher voltage signal. Amps in the bags may benefit from a slightly higher voltage because of the longer run.

It is true that a higher voltage signal will allow to gains on an amp to be set lower, but if the signal to the amp is equal (as far as noise is concerned), increasing the gain on the amp will have no detrimental affect on the audio output.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:06 AM
jefla
Road Master

Originally Posted by Iron Cross Audio
As long as a quality RCA cable is used, there will be almost no difference between a pre-amp signal at 2v as compared to a higher voltage signal.
ICA -- thanks. All of this is going in my B-wing. Do you sell high quality super short RCA cables?

Last edited by jefla; 03-11-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ICA -- thanks. All of this is going in my B-wing. Do you sell high quality super short RCA cables?
Sorry, we do not.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm re-doing my audio and need to pick a head unit. I'm definitely going w/ marine (because) and am deciding between a Kenwood KMR-D558BT and a Sony MEX-M70BT -- unless the forum talks me out of both. I wonder if anyone can offer comments.

These HUs are $150 and $200, respectively at Crutchfield. The specs appear to be quite similar (to me, a novice), although RMS output is KMR = 22 Sony = 14. Given the amp, I think ouput makes no difference. Is this correct?

I want CD and Bluetooth. Will almost always listen to Pandora. Never use radios and don't care about the phone.

The other system pieces are Biketronics 2180 amp and Focal PC 165. I'll probably always run just two speakers. I've BT's multi-mfger adaptor.

What you all think?

Thanks for your time.
$108 and $117 on Amazon!

Old 03-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Wldtat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you all think?

Thanks for your time.
So what did you decide? I just ordered the Biketronics kit for my RGC with the Sony MEX-M70BT and the Titan II 6.5" speakers.

Like you, I'm really interested in getting Pandora and the rest of my music on the bike. It'll also be nice to get the turn by turn navigation from my phone over the speakers for those new places I go....

I should receive it and have it installed by late next week.....

Quick Reply: Kenwood KMR-D558BT v. Sony MEX-M70BT