Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood KMR-D558BT v. Sony MEX-M70BT

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

My MEX-M70BT will arrive on Friday. Should have it all installed on Saturday. Big factor for me was 2 USB's. I plan to snake the one one the rear up to the windshield bags. Also 5volts.

Last edited by sanman4ever; 03-26-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wldtat
So what did you decide?
Just finished the install last night: BT2180, Kenwood KMR-D558Bt, Focals, and BT's multi-brand module. Went w/ K-wood because I like the look, it has good blutooth performance, is very Pandora compatible, and it's marine. Sounds fantastic, but I probably will switch to BT 7.1s.

Some lessons to share. (1) On K-wood, BT only plays through front spkrs. Maybe Sony, too, so be sure you plug the RCA cables into front spkr output on the Sony. (2) Place the BT faceplate adaptor in the fairing against the hole for the HU, then "slide" in the HU, fit the faceplate to the HU, then fit the front to the HU. (3) Solder all the connections. It's pretty easy and the connections are much more stable and weather-proof.

Finally, if you set your heavy BT amp on the radio before revealing the double-sided tape it may slide off and chip your newly custom painted fender -- even with three layers of thick terry cloth "protecting" the fender. As my wife said, better to scratch it in the garage than on the road ... .

Very glad to be done with the HK HU. Good luck. You'll be thrilled with the upgrade.

Last edited by jefla; 03-26-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:43 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
Finally, if you set your heavy BT amp on the radio before revealing the double-sided tape it may slide off and chip your newly custom painted fender -- even with three layers of thick terry cloth "protecting" the fender. As my wife said, better to scratch it in the garage than on the road ... .

noooooo.. you didn't! lol

congrats on your install.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 PM
jefla
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
congrats on your install.
Thank you. First time. Mighty satisfying. Also, BT customer service is fantastic.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:41 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not the custom painted front fender!!!! I did that a couple of weeks ago bottoming out on a pot hole! Either ways sucks...

Old 04-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Wldtat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
Thank you. First time. Mighty satisfying. Also, BT customer service is fantastic.
I will say Biketronics service is pretty good, turns out they got a bad batch of stereos from Sony, they were all the international version and use a different FM frequency.

Unfortunately this was noticed as it was getting installed at my local shop on Friday. BT was able to find one good one left in their shop, and overnighted it directly to the shop, but it won't get installed until they open tomorrow. Sat throught this beautiful weekend with no ride.....

Old 04-07-2014, 01:03 PM
jefla
Road Master

CD skips on big bumps.

Yesterday was my first long ride after a bunch of winter mods, including a new Kenwood KMR-D558BT. The Kenwood skips when playing CDs and I hit hard bumps. Happened twice. The HK never skipped. What you all think?

Old 04-07-2014, 01:14 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

CD mechanisms on these aftermarket head units were never designed to handle the vibrations/jolts these bikes dish out to them.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:15 PM
InvertedB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This doesn't answer your last question, but I was looking at the same HU this morning and was wondering if your handlebar controls work with the marine version Kenwood?

Old 04-07-2014, 01:35 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

any head unit with steering wheel control inputs, whether it be a wire or a 3.5mm plug are capable of utilizing your handlebar controls.

Quick Reply: Kenwood KMR-D558BT v. Sony MEX-M70BT