Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

infinity 62.11i's in a 2014 SGS

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:29 AM
bpd138
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hello,
I just installed a set of the Infinity Kappa 62.11i's in my 2014 Street Glide Special yesterday. Although they screw right in where the Harley speakers mount they don't line up with the holes on the inner fairing (they need to be moved down about an 1/8" of an inch). The outer part of the speaker cone gets pinched when you bolt the "sound box" back up to the inner fairing. You also cannot use the stock grills because there isn't enough clearance for the tweeter. i even cut the plastic bracing out of the center of the grill but the outer edge of the grill presses on the outer edge of the cone. The Infinity's flange is also thicker than the Harley speakers so this does not allow the "sound box" to mount up flush to the fairing with or without the stock grills.

That being said I did find a way to mount them, and they sound good. What I did was to split the "sound box" and mount them on the inside of it. In order for the two halves of the "sound box" to fit back together you have to orientate the speaker a certain way. I forget now but I think I had the wire terminal block at the bottom. You can put the speaker in place without screwing it in and see if the two halves fit back together properly. This setup moves the speaker inside the "sound box" and allows you to use the stock grills.

Aside from removing and re-installing the three bolts that attach the "sound box" to the metal bracket under the radio it was a pretty easy installation. Although these are 7/16" bolts they also have allen sockets in them. I found that I could get a socket on two of them but for the third one (top, closest to front) i had to use a wrench or allen wrench.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:55 AM
njstreetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=bpd138;12693267]
That being said I did find a way to mount them, and they sound good. What I did was to split the "sound box" and mount them on the inside of it. In order for the two halves of the "sound box" to fit back together you have to orientate the speaker a certain way. I forget now but I think I had the wire terminal block at the bottom. You can put the speaker in place without screwing it in and see if the two halves fit back together properly.
quote]

thanks for the heads up but i am a little confused on what you actually did when you say you "split the sound box" some clarity would be appreciated. i am about to install the same set up

Last edited by njstreetglide; 05-07-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:55 PM
bpd138
Cruiser

Sorry for the confusing reply, here's another one. lol When you remove the outer fairing you will see two plastic white colored "sound boxes", one on each side of the fairing. Remove these you will see that the stock Harley speaker is screwed to the outside of them. Once the Harley speaker is removed you will also see that there is a lot of room inside the "sound boxes". These boxes are made in two halves and are held together with five self tapping torx screws. Take the screws out and pull the two halves apart. I mounted the Infinity speakers on the inside of boxes facing out (towards the rider) using the same four holes that the Harley speakers were screwed into. You won't need any adapter plates, just screw them into the old holes using the short screws that come with the Infinity speakers. Instead of the screws securing the speakers from the front, they are coming in from behind the speaker securing it to the inside of the "sound box". (I wish I had taken some pictures). Basically the speakers are mounted the same way as the stock ones except they are inside the two plastic "sound boxes". I've attached three pictures that show the two "sound boxes", speakers and grills. On the schematic the boxes would be #24 & #25. The Infinity speakers have a small terminal box on the back of them that interferes with putting the two halves back together unless the speakers are orientated (rotated) a certain way. Mount the speaker and try to put the two halves back together. if they won't go together rotate the speaker 90 degrees and try again.

If it's easier, message me and I will give you my phone number. it would be easier to explain the process to you.

[QUOTE=njstreetglide;12693462]
Originally Posted by bpd138
That being said I did find a way to mount them, and they sound good. What I did was to split the "sound box" and mount them on the inside of it. In order for the two halves of the "sound box" to fit back together you have to orientate the speaker a certain way. I forget now but I think I had the wire terminal block at the bottom. You can put the speaker in place without screwing it in and see if the two halves fit back together properly.
quote]

thanks for the heads up but i am a little confused on what you actually did when you say you "split the sound box" some clarity would be appreciated. i am about to install the same set up

Attached Thumbnails infinity 62.11i's in a 2014 SGS-img_3003-1-.jpg   infinity 62.11i's in a 2014 SGS-speakers.jpg   infinity 62.11i's in a 2014 SGS-speakers-2.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 06:10 PM
njstreetglide
Cruiser

[QUOTE=bpd138;12693949]Sorry for the confusing reply, here's another one. lol When you remove the outer fairing you will see two plastic white colored "sound boxes", one on each side of the fairing. Remove these you will see that the stock Harley speaker is screwed to the outside of them. Once the Harley speaker is removed you will also see that there is a lot of room inside the "sound boxes". These boxes are made in two halves and are held together with five self tapping torx screws. Take the screws out and pull the two halves apart. I mounted the Infinity speakers on the inside of boxes facing out (towards the rider) using the same four holes that the Harley speakers were screwed into. You won't need any adapter plates, just screw them into the old holes using the short screws that come with the Infinity speakers. Instead of the screws securing the speakers from the front, they are coming in from behind the speaker securing it to the inside of the "sound box". (I wish I had taken some pictures). Basically the speakers are mounted the same way as the stock ones except they are inside the two plastic "sound boxes". I've attached three pictures that show the two "sound boxes", speakers and grills. On the schematic the boxes would be #24 & #25. The Infinity speakers have a small terminal box on the back of them that interferes with putting the two halves back together unless the speakers are orientated (rotated) a certain way. Mount the speaker and try to put the two halves back together. if they won't go together rotate the speaker 90 degrees and try again.

If it's easier, message me and I will give you my phone number. it would be easier to explain the process to you.

You are the man thank you very much for that insight. And your saying I do not need the upgraded speakers if I do it this way?

Thanks again

Last edited by njstreetglide; 05-07-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:03 AM
bpd138
Cruiser

[QUOTE=You are the man thank you very much for that insight. And your saying I do not need the upgraded speakers if I do it this way?

Thanks again[/QUOTE]

If you mount the speakers the same way I did you can use the Infinity 62.11I.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:15 AM
neonflx
Advanced

Originally Posted by bpd138
Hello,
I just installed a set of the Infinity Kappa 62.11i's in my 2014 Street Glide Special yesterday. Although they screw right in where the Harley speakers mount they don't line up with the holes on the inner fairing (they need to be moved down about an 1/8" of an inch). The outer part of the speaker cone gets pinched when you bolt the "sound box" back up to the inner fairing. You also cannot use the stock grills because there isn't enough clearance for the tweeter. i even cut the plastic bracing out of the center of the grill but the outer edge of the grill presses on the outer edge of the cone. The Infinity's flange is also thicker than the Harley speakers so this does not allow the "sound box" to mount up flush to the fairing with or without the stock grills.

That being said I did find a way to mount them, and they sound good. What I did was to split the "sound box" and mount them on the inside of it. In order for the two halves of the "sound box" to fit back together you have to orientate the speaker a certain way. I forget now but I think I had the wire terminal block at the bottom. You can put the speaker in place without screwing it in and see if the two halves fit back together properly. This setup moves the speaker inside the "sound box" and allows you to use the stock grills.

Aside from removing and re-installing the three bolts that attach the "sound box" to the metal bracket under the radio it was a pretty easy installation. Although these are 7/16" bolts they also have allen sockets in them. I found that I could get a socket on two of them but for the third one (top, closest to front) i had to use a wrench or allen wrench.

I hope this helps.

Great info, I'm doing my install tomorrow and this will definitely help, which amp if any did you use and did you have to cut any wires since the HK unit does not have any RCAs

thanks

Old 05-09-2014, 11:37 PM
neonflx
Advanced

I installed the 62.11i as described by bpd138 and it worked perfectly, no need to purchased the boom grills, I also used poly to fill the space inside the box, will install the fosgate pbr300x2 tomorrow.

can't wait

Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 AM
GNR
Cruiser

I took my Kappa 62.11i speakers out because I noticed the speakers were hitting the speaker grills and I believe causing the outer faring not to seal on the top above the speaker pods, I saw about a 1/8" gap that would let water in. Looked at mounting them in the pod and did not like the way the speakers would seal against the thin plastic edge, plus you would have to cut the plastic speaker screw holes in half as the protrude into the pod which would cause a gap. Even cutting these and mounting them inside it seam as if you would be left with a small shelf to collect water and I'm sure would get in the pod since the seal is not that great. Am I the only one seeing this???

Old 05-10-2014, 09:29 PM
neonflx
Advanced

Originally Posted by GNR
I took my Kappa 62.11i speakers out because I noticed the speakers were hitting the speaker grills and I believe causing the outer faring not to seal on the top above the speaker pods, I saw about a 1/8" gap that would let water in. Looked at mounting them in the pod and did not like the way the speakers would seal against the thin plastic edge, plus you would have to cut the plastic speaker screw holes in half as the protrude into the pod which would cause a gap. Even cutting these and mounting them inside it seam as if you would be left with a small shelf to collect water and I'm sure would get in the pod since the seal is not that great. Am I the only one seeing this???
I used the rings that came with the kappa's, used the dremel to cut the loops off, then I used the weather seal that came with the speakers and there is no gap anymore.

I'm extremely pleased with the sound, if or when I ride in the rain I will purposely take the pods out just to see if there is any water.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:05 AM
JTNC110
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this install yesterday on a 2014 SG and I must say I'm a little disappointed in the performance of these speakers.

I installed inside the pod as described above. What a PITA getting those pods out was. Anyway, started doing the gains setting by ear per Ultranutz instructions. The speakers had noticeable woofer distortion at very low volume (like 5 bars) with the gain all the way down with the amp in ALL PASS. These speakers either can't handle ANY bass or I have something wrong.
I eventually had to put it in HP with the frequency set around 120hz to get it as loud as I like it. The gain around 5'ish.

I did run a remote wire since I was in there and its easy.

I'm going to get flashed for 1 amp when I go in for my 1k service to see if it helps.

Don't get me wrong, the speakers are clearer than the stock garbage but they don't blow me off the bike like I was expecting. At 80mph they're better, but just a little.

Can you guys share your settings? Thanks.

Quick Reply: infinity 62.11i's in a 2014 SGS