Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor AM/FM/WB reception after Amp install

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts
Unhappy Poor AM/FM/WB reception after Amp install

Installed RF 300x2 amp and Kicker Speakers...sounds awesome but now my radio reception is terrible. I have the HD hidden antenna, also have tried relocating it further from the amp... Before the amp installation i had excellent reception. The BT and USB are not affected. Power light for the antenna is still on, Any Thoughts???

Old 02-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the amp is creating interference that the powered antenna doesn't like.

Can you put the stock antenna back on to see if the problem goes away?

Old 02-19-2014, 11:33 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

I had this problem too.
I'm no audiophile, just wanted a less distorted clearer sound at higher volume.
For those of us not "in the know" the less expensive amps do that job, but you sacrifice your FM radio reception in the process.
My set up sounds perfect playing CD's.

I used ferrite clips on the wires, and a 1/4" piece of plywood between the radio and the amp to help reduce the interference between the amp and head unit.
This helped, but I still have problems with FM reception.

Next, I going to replace the piece of plywood with a piece of lead roofing flashing. I'm hoping the lead will block the interference completely.

Had I known, and it's my fault for not researching this better, I would have bought a better amp up front, so as to not sacrifice FM reception.

But who knew, it never even entered my mind, until I experienced the issue.

(I don't think it has much to do with the antenna, but a stock whip type antenna might work a little better)

Forgot to mention that I have the Hogtunes NCA 70.2 amp and Hogtunes 902.2 front fairing speakers.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 02-19-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
I had this problem too.
I'm no audiophile, just wanted a less distorted clearer sound at higher volume.
For those of us not "in the know" the less expensive amps do that job, but you sacrifice your FM radio reception in the process.
My set up sounds perfect playing CD's.

I used ferrite clips on the wires, and a 1/4" piece of plywood between the radio and the amp to help reduce the interference between the amp and head unit.
This helped, but I still have problems with FM reception.

Next, I going to replace the piece of plywood with a piece of lead roofing flashing. I'm hoping the lead will block the interference completely.

Had I known, and it's my fault for not researching this better, I would have bought a better amp up front, so as to not sacrifice FM reception.

But who knew, it never even entered my mind, until I experienced the issue.

(I don't think it has much to do with the antenna, but a stock whip type antenna might work a little better)
What amp do you have? Usually only class "D" amps have an interference problem. The pbr300x2 mentioned in the first post rarely has FM issues.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
What amp do you have? Usually only class "D" amps have an interference problem. The pbr300x2 mentioned in the first post rarely has FM issues.
Forgot to mention that I have the Hogtunes NCA 70.2 amp and Hogtunes 902.2 front fairing speakers.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I doubt very seriously that this particular PBR300x2 is causing FM interference. Go back and double check everything you did. Make sure if that HD antenna is a powered antenna that is has proper power and ground to it. Make sure the connection plugged into the back of the radio is fully seated and not broken.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 02-19-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I doubt very seriously that this particular PBR300x2 is causing FM interference. Go back and double check everything you did. Make sure if that HD antenna is a powered antenna that is has proper power and ground to it. Make sure the connection plugged into the back of the radio is fully seated and not broken.
Checked every thing you mentioned, tried moving it farther from the amp last night and made sure the wires were all good , same problem on the way in to work this morning. And yes it is the New version of the Boom Antenna, connected to the power accessory wires in the fairing. Guess I will try the stock antenna and see if the problem is still there.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
I thought I read somewhere that Pez was replacing amps that had FM issues like yours. Maybe give him a call.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:57 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
Checked every thing you mentioned, tried moving it farther from the amp last night and made sure the wires were all good , same problem on the way in to work this morning. And yes it is the New version of the Boom Antenna, connected to the power accessory wires in the fairing. Guess I will try the stock antenna and see if the problem is still there.
not questioning anything you did, just being thorough. so bare with me.

did you check actual voltages on the wires for the antenna close to where they go into the antenna? you could have voltage on the accessory circuit but not on the antenna itself.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
I thought I read somewhere that Pez was replacing amps that had FM issues like yours. Maybe give him a call.
Yup that is true, I am on the third replacement.
Had the issue 2 years ago on my '08 with the first purchase.
Got it replaced once and had the same issue.
I then traded my bike for a new '13 FLHTC. They told me to hang onto the amp and they'd replace it with a new revised edition when it was released, which was supposed to correct the issue.

Put the revised amp in my new bike last spring, it was slightly better, but still had very annoying FM reception issues, I finally gave up replacing it.

Great company and great customer service, can't say enough about them.
They just couldn't resolve my FM reception issues.

Sorry Barry for stomping on your thread.

Quick Reply: Poor AM/FM/WB reception after Amp install