Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag speakers / Amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM
2011FLHXSE
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddle bag speakers / Amp

Hey guy's. I need some help with choosing an amp / speakers. I have a 2011 FLHXSE and going to be adding the saddle bag speakers. I would rather not use a second amp to power them but replace the stock amp to handle all the speakers on the bike. Anyone know if this is possible and any recommendations for an amp? Also a decent pair of 5 x 7 speakers ? Seems like all the Harley kits have more parts than I need. What I have heard out of the bikes with the Harley sadlle bag speakers I think their is something better out there.

Thanks

JR

Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Start with this...
http://www.biketronics.com/bt479-6x9...style-hd-lids/

You'll probably end up swapping all the speakers and adding an aftermarket amp though to get you where you wanna go...

Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2011FLHXSE
Hey guy's. I need some help with choosing an amp / speakers. I have a 2011 FLHXSE and going to be adding the saddle bag speakers. I would rather not use a second amp to power them but replace the stock amp to handle all the speakers on the bike. Anyone know if this is possible and any recommendations for an amp? Also a decent pair of 5 x 7 speakers ? Seems like all the Harley kits have more parts than I need. What I have heard out of the bikes with the Harley sadlle bag speakers I think their is something better out there.

Thanks

JR
If you don't mind the work, it can be done but it would probably be a lot easier to just add a pbr300x2 to drive the speaker lids. Depending on the ohm rating of the fairing and lower speakers, you may end up having to replace them. Not to mention the fact that most aftermarket amps will not be ideal for what you want to do.

The "Boom" or CVO speakers are not rated to handle a lot of power. They may also be only 1 ohm and ran in parallel. I don't have a lot of experience with the fairing speaker, but the ones in the lower are 1 ohm. If you keep those and run them in series, you would need a 2 ohm stable amp that puts out only about 80 watts a channel. 80 watts a channel will not be enough, IMO, to power bag speakers and have them sound good.

I would rethink this. We can help, but need to know what you want to do. If you are adamant about only running one amp, you may have to replace the speakers you already have. Also need to know if you value FM, if you plan on using the HD lids or the Hogtunes lids, and an idea of a budget would be nice too. If you use the Hogtunes lids you can use 6x9 speakers as opposed to using 5x7's with the HD lids.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM
camsmith
Road Captain

Good advice Pioneer, I thought his bike came with the HD speaker lids. I know the CVO's have their own set of obstacles when it come to modding the audio (1 ohm speakers etc).... 2011FLHXSE just hang around here and they'll help ya spend some $...

Old 02-07-2014, 05:38 PM
FXDFan
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camsmith
Good advice Pioneer, I thought his bike came with the HD speaker lids. I know the CVO's have their own set of obstacles when it come to modding the audio (1 ohm speakers etc).... 2011FLHXSE just hang around here and they'll help ya spend some $...
That they do. Hoping to have my system from soundz customz mid-week for install. Arc-audo KS125.4 amp, with HAT 5x7 for the lids, and focal 165KRC in the fairing. Fingers are crossed I'm going to like it. Went SC because they had all plug and play harnesses, didn't need to splice into the factory wiring at all, still maintain my hand controls etc.

Let ya'll know good, bad, or indifferent!!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:13 PM
camsmith
Road Captain

Yeah. Pete @ Soundz is a good straight up guy. (His dad too). They'll do right by you. Let us know how you like it.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 PM
2011FLHXSE
Stage II

Hey guy's thaks for the help. Still trying to figure out this board. 2011 did not come with speakers in the lids, it was standard in 2012. I already have the Harley lids at the paint shop. I did not like the Harley kit because I did not want to mount the amp in the saddle bag. If I have to I will put the other amp in the fairing but wondering about overheating. If I have to replace all the speakers no big deal. Just want something that sounds good.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't worry about overheating. A lot of people run amps in the fairing with no problems. Some run two.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

I am running a Soundstream 520 D under the fairing pushing 4 sets of speakers in fairing, lowers, saddlebag lids. and tour pak pods. Great amp for the money (except FM reception can be iffy). I am running Focals and Biketronics, (HAT's) speakers 4 ohm speakers in parallel so Im pushing 520 RMS. Sounds great! Check out Biketronics web site great speakers and amps. They have a BT4180 amp ($650) that would be the perfect amp to run a 4 speaker set up. Put the 6x9's in the lids and the 7.1's in your fairing and blow the doors off any Boom system! You could also do the Soundstream 520 and the Biketronics speakers and have a great system that you could hear at 80 mph!

Last edited by Moto Mike; 02-11-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

[quote=Pioneer74;12294

I would rethink this. We can help, but need to know what you want to do. If you are adamant about only running one amp, you may have to replace the speakers you already have. Also need to know if you value FM, if you plan on using the HD lids or the Hogtunes lids, and an idea of a budget would be nice too. If you use the Hogtunes lids you can use 6x9 speakers as opposed to using 5x7's with the HD lids.[/quote]
The biketronics 6x9's (HAT's) also fit the Harley lids, that's what I have. I bought the Harley lids since they came painted to match my bike.