Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with Audio improvement 12 CVO

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:05 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Default help with Audio improvement 12 CVO

I have a 12 CVO Road Glide (skunk) and i am looking to improve the audio a little. It has to the best of my knowledge the 5 x 7 fairing speakers. 2 inch tweeters and i think some type of factory amp.

What i am wanting to do is add fairing lowers with the 6.5 inches speaker boxes, similar to the street glide. Where i am at a loss is what type of speakers to add, brand is not the issue, rating is and how to connect them to the existing system.

I am not looking to go overboard as audio systems are an absolute mystery to me. whether something is 2 ohm, 4 ohm, etc just does not add up in my brain pan. I would like to use this as a learning opportunity.

so any advice would be appreciated. I do all my own work, so please be gentle and offer what would be solid advice. I really don't want to hear take it somewhere as that is not a learning experience for me.

i have reviewed a lot of posts on the forum and it appears polk, infinity or hertz speakers are popular speakers. However, i don't know whether they should be 2 or 4 ohm and, once purchased, how the heck do i hook them up to the existing sound system? parallel, series, ????

Appreciate any useful help. IF i need to purchase an additional amp, can someone please also let me know that as well. thanks

Old 01-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, if all you want to do is add 6.5" speakers to what you have and leave everything else stock, I would get a set of Polk MM651's or Biketronics 6.5's and use the Rockford Fosgate pbr300x2 amp. Tap into the front channels for your signal, hook up the power to the battery, connect your speakers, and you're done.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:46 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

well let me complicate it for you. All speakers on your CVO are 1 ohm speakers. :-)

my suggestion would be talk to your local parts counter. Changing anything on this setup is going to require CVO parts unless you want to change it all.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
well let me complicate it for you. All speakers on your CVO are 1 ohm speakers. :-)

my suggestion would be talk to your local parts counter. Changing anything on this setup is going to require CVO parts unless you want to change it all.
thats what i thought. So i may be best served to add the Street Glide parts for the 6.5 lowers and call it good?