Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Ch Amp & Polka MM651 & HT Lid Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 Ch Amp & Polka MM651 & HT Lid Speakers

All,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma with regards to speakers series/Parallel 2.7ohms and 2 ohms, Bridged and 4 channels.

I want to get the best out of my speakers and Amp without blowing either of them.

so I installing a FHLTC with a new sound system.
Kenwood KMR-555U - Link to Stereo
2 x Polka mm651 Link to Speakers SpecsLink to PDF
Massive Audio BX4 Amp Link to SpecsLink to Wiring Diagram
HogTunes Lid replacement with speakers - HT Lids replacement with speakers HT Installation manual

I spoke with Massive audio and its
2 Ohms 240w per each channel x 4
4 Ohms 120W Per channel x4
4 Ohms 480W Bridged Per Bridge X2

I'm really confused on what to do about how to wire it to get the best performance out of it. So far all I see is to do 1 speaker to each channel. This is ok for the Polkas as they are 100W (200W Peak) @ 2.7 Ohms but best played at 80%

The HT are 200w @ 2 Ohm so its also ok at the 4 channel 2 ohms at 240W but I read some where you want to have 50% spare WATTS for the speaker

May be I am just trying to over complicate this with when it doesn't.

Please add your comments of what you think I have added a drawing for you to print and draw with.

Attached Thumbnails 4 Ch Amp & Polka MM651 & HT Lid Speakers-speakers.jpg  
Old 01-24-2014, 12:36 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Fozzy4325
All,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma with regards to speakers series/Parallel 2.7ohms and 2 ohms, Bridged and 4 channels.

I want to get the best out of my speakers and Amp without blowing either of them.

so I installing a FHLTC with a new sound system.
Kenwood KMR-555U - Link to Stereo
2 x Polka mm651 Link to Speakers SpecsLink to PDF
Massive Audio BX4 Amp Link to SpecsLink to Wiring Diagram
HogTunes Lid replacement with speakers - HT Lids replacement with speakers HT Installation manual

I spoke with Massive audio and its
2 Ohms 240w per each channel x 4
4 Ohms 120W Per channel x4
4 Ohms 480W Bridged Per Bridge X2

I'm really confused on what to do about how to wire it to get the best performance out of it. So far all I see is to do 1 speaker to each channel. This is ok for the Polkas as they are 100W (200W Peak) @ 2.7 Ohms but best played at 80%

The HT are 200w @ 2 Ohm so its also ok at the 4 channel 2 ohms at 240W but I read some where you want to have 50% spare WATTS for the speaker

May be I am just trying to over complicate this with when it doesn't.

Please add your comments of what you think I have added a drawing for you to print and draw with.

Nice looking head unit.
Forget you ever heard the word bridged. Not a good idea at all
With this equipment you only have 1 wiring configuration that's feasible.

Wire the fairing speakers to the front channel of the amp normally then wire the lowers (or rear pods) and the lids in series to bring the ohms load the amp sees to 4.7 and tie that to the rear channel of the amp. To wire these two pair in series:
take the amp's left rear channel + and tie it to the + on the pod speaker. Take the - on the pod speaker and run it to the + on the left lid speaker. take the - on the lid speaker and run it to the - on the amp's left rear channel. Now do the same for the right side.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice head unit. If it supported bluetooth streaming, I would send my 955 back.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nutz, are you sure he has 2 sets of the Polks on his CLASSIC ?? I'm getting mixed signals that this could be a 4 speaker set up ???

Old 01-24-2014, 08:47 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

i was kinda skeptical as well but figured if he didn't he'd say something...

Old 01-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Nice looking head unit.
Forget you ever heard the word bridged. Not a good idea at all
With this equipment you only have 1 wiring configuration that's feasible.

Wire the fairing speakers to the front channel of the amp normally then wire the lowers (or rear pods) and the lids in series to bring the ohms load the amp sees to 4.7 and tie that to the rear channel of the amp. To wire these two pair in series:
take the amp's left rear channel + and tie it to the + on the pod speaker. Take the - on the pod speaker and run it to the + on the left lid speaker. take the - on the lid speaker and run it to the - on the amp's left rear channel. Now do the same for the right side.
Thanks for the info,
I don`t have any rear pods just lid speakers and the two fairing speakers. I have been in conversation the whole day with different audio people and it works out that I should just do 1 speaker on each channel as the speakers will pull what they need. and the amp is far more power full than any of the speakers.

I'm keeping the bike more like a street glide and only attaching the touring pack once I'm touring. however I am now looking at a double speaker lid and a new insert for the fairing. that will handle 4 fairing speakers.

But first a 124 s&s upgrade.

again thanks for the information as i can come back to this post.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:52 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suspected that this might be a 4 speaker set-up. I can see where Nutz was thrown of,......with the 2 in front of the Polk.

Correct,..........one speaker per channel, on the amp.

Depending on how much bag space you need, you could mount the second set of 6X9's in the bags , facing the wheels, so that you original lids still work.

Did you consider lowers versus a new inner fairing, to add the 2 additional speakers ? Don't know what would be more cost effective for you there.

If you add 4 more speakers, I would add another 4 channel amp !

Good Luck !!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

just wanted to throw my .02 in on the Massive Audio amp.. I'm sure you won't want to hear it either.. sorry..

I've put a couple of these in for guys who were sold on them by a local audio shop. Although they are certainly an improvement, what I found was lack luster performance for an amp that's rated at 240w x 4 @ 2ohms. I had hell getting gains set properly on these identical setups in 2 road glides. Both guys came back within 6 months and wanted to upgrade. Got the first guy a 4.520D only and he was blown away at the difference. The other guy came back a couple of weeks later for the same upgrade. I'm just not impressed at all with that amp.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
just wanted to throw my .02 in on the Massive Audio amp.. I'm sure you won't want to hear it either.. sorry..

I've put a couple of these in for guys who were sold on them by a local audio shop. Although they are certainly an improvement, what I found was lack luster performance for an amp that's rated at 240w x 4 @ 2ohms. I had hell getting gains set properly on these identical setups in 2 road glides. Both guys came back within 6 months and wanted to upgrade. Got the first guy a 4.520D only and he was blown away at the difference. The other guy came back a couple of weeks later for the same upgrade. I'm just not impressed at all with that amp.
I am all for telling what the issues are. So were you able to work out what the problems were with the massive audio system? could it have been with vibration messing with the settings?

What were the issues with the gains?

When you said they were blown away with the difference what exactly was the difference?

Old 01-25-2014, 10:51 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Fozzy4325
All,

Polkas? I want speakers that play all kinds of music, not just Polka... ;-)

Quick Reply: 4 Ch Amp & Polka MM651 & HT Lid Speakers