Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Ch Amp & Polka MM651 & HT Lid Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
Polkas? I want speakers that play all kinds of music, not just Polka... ;-)
freakin spell check !

Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Fozzy4325
I am all for telling what the issues are. So were you able to work out what the problems were with the massive audio system? could it have been with vibration messing with the settings?

What were the issues with the gains?

When you said they were blown away with the difference what exactly was the difference?
Not only "they" but me too.

The difference was.. An amp (4.520D) that is rated at 120wx4 @ 2 ohms vs an amp (MA) that is rated at 240wx4 @ 2ohms and the 120x4 blowing it away in power and performance. That right there tells you 2 different Class D amps are NOT created equal. Power rating mean absolutely squat if you can't back it up.

What I didn't get was the opportunity (warranty purposes) to pull the MA amp apart to see exactly what the difference pertained to. Having a big pretty white case with a circuit board and a couple of op amps inside of it vs an amp that has op amps bolted down and circuited under a rail like it's supposed to be is more than likely what I would find if I pulled this amp apart. But that is pure speculation at this point.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

[QUOTE=UltraNutZ;12240519]just wanted to throw my .02 in on the Massive Audio amp.. I'm sure you won't want to hear it either.. sorry..

I've put a couple of these in for guys who were sold on them by a local audio shop. Although they are certainly an improvement, what I found was lack luster performance for an amp that's rated at 240w x 4 @ 2ohms. I had hell getting gains set properly on these identical setups in 2 road glides. Both guys came back within 6 months and wanted to upgrade. Got the first guy a 4.520D only and he was blown away at the difference. The other guy came back a couple of weeks later for the same upgrade. I'm just not impressed at all with that amp.[/QUOTE

Dam Nutz I'm glad you warned me ahead of time!! I was looking at that amp as well. Matter fact I have one sitting on the shelf brand new. The packaging is pretty. . . lol It's now for sale if someone wants to buy it pm me. I think I paid 250.00 for it. I'll let it go for best offer. (Massive BX4 Nano)

Nutz what are your top 5 four channel amps for the fairing that you have actually had the experience of listening to?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

In no specific order:
SS PN4.520D
SS PN4.320D
BT4180
J&M JMAA-3600H / ARC KS 125.4 Mini
Alpine KTP445U - main reason I include this one is because it's very small and packs a pretty good punch, 2 ohm stable to wake those BA speakers up, is inexpensive, has good specs, and is a helluva upgrade from stock

I would have to say performance wise, taking all things into consideration, and $ was no object, the toss up would be between the 4180 and the J&M/Arc amps.

Most bang for the $ definitely goes to the SS amps if you can live with the FM issues.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 01-27-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I would have to say performance wise, taking all things into consideration, and $ was no object, the toss up would be between the 4180 and the J&M/Arc amps.

Most bang for the $ definitely goes to the SS amps if you can live with the FM issues.

My ALPINE's feelings are so hurt !!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great list of amps.. Thanks Nutz

Old 01-30-2014, 01:52 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
In no specific order:
SS PN4.520D
SS PN4.320D
BT4180
J&M JMAA-3600H / ARC KS 125.4 Mini
Alpine KTP445U - main reason I include this one is because it's very small and packs a pretty good punch, 2 ohm stable to wake those BA speakers up, is inexpensive, has good specs, and is a helluva upgrade from stock

UltraNutz - Two questions Sir!

1. How do you have those two Soundstream TN4.900D's attached to the Tourpak?
2. Do you still have FM issues with the amps mounted in the tourpak?

I'm really loving your new set up Nutz. . .Thinking about goin Nutz myself. ... Just thinking! LOL

Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

I made a board out of OSB, the size of the amps, and covered it in grey felt material, then mounted that to the metal plate in the tourpack, using the existing bolts. Then I attached the amps to the board.......looks like this..........

Old 01-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
I made a board out of OSB, the size of the amps, and covered it in grey felt material, then mounted that to the metal plate in the tourpack, using the existing bolts. Then I attached the amps to the board.......looks like this..........

Good Stuff Glacier... love your set up as well!! I was looking at Nutz with the Two soundstreams and I don't see any feet on those amps to fasten down to anything? Do the Alpines have feet on em? Currently running two 520.D one in the fairing and one in the tour pack. Older Titan 2 Biktronics speakers. these are way back when they were still strickly Hertz. Went thru 3 sets of MM651 Polks and finally gave up on them due to the glue issues. For whatever reason the 520.D doesn't seem to push the Titan 2's to their full potential at 100 watts. Not sure what the sensitivity is on the older speakers. But I see the new 7.1's have 94 db sensitivity which requires less power to be loud. But they are also rated at 120 RMS which tells me these speakers need some power!! That 4180 is just about right for those speakers but the dam thing is 650.00. Hell I can get two TN4.900's for that price and dam near two alpines. . . lol Need to ask Nutz if there is a difference between the older Hertz speakers and the New 7.1's.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:43 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes,...they have feet, ( to bolt them down),..and the feet line up, so they are made to be stackable !!

Quick Reply: 4 Ch Amp & Polka MM651 & HT Lid Speakers