Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splash Cover Good Enough?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:10 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Splash Cover Good Enough?

Making plans for swapping out the HK unit for an after market deck. Found some splash covers out there, but will they be good enough or should I also focus on only Marine units to avoid water damage as much as possible? If the splash cover is good enough my options for a head unit expand tremendously.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:58 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Marine grade is a joke sir. The 1 part of the unit that will be more susceptible to water intrusion than any other is the face and there's nothing marine grade about any of the faces of these units.

I would focus on what you want and need for features. The Biketronics retro radio kit (BT1002 for your bike) is one of the best out there. Another option for the splash cover itself is use the Biketronics handlebar control but the VTWIN Audio mounting kit.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of guys use whatever head unit they like because of the features. I will be using the V-twin splash cover when I change mine out. Pretty thick, has a gasket around it, and looks great against a black painted inner fairing.

Marine doesn't mean totally waterproof. The only positive I can see with a marine unit is the display is usually easier to see in direct sunlight.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 AM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The Biketronics control were always in the plans, but thanks for the suggestion to check out the Vtwin splash cover...had not considered that one.

Plan is to use RCA out to my RF 300X2. Need media box to plug in iPod...otherwise the main consideration is build quality especially mounted in a vibrating HD.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by RedDogNC
The Biketronics control were always in the plans, but thanks for the suggestion to check out the Vtwin splash cover...had not considered that one.
both of these components are of excellent quality.

Plan is to use RCA out to my RF 300X2.
Need media box to plug in iPod...otherwise the main consideration is build quality especially mounted in a vibrating HD.
these head unit will hold up fine. My only concern has always been retractable/fold out touchscreen units but they seem to hold up well also.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plan is to use RCA out to my RF 300X2. Need media box to plug in iPod...otherwise the main consideration is build quality especially mounted in a vibrating HD.
Everything I've read on here suggests that the pbr amps sound better when using the high level inputs, even if RCA's are available.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Everything I've read on here suggests that the pbr amps sound better when using the high level inputs, even if RCA's are available.
this has been my hands on experience in different setups (stock and aftermarket) as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

these head unit will hold up fine. My only concern has always been retractable/fold out touchscreen units but they seem to hold up well also.
Six years running on my Kenwood 7" Flip-out........never a glitch !!!