Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I was a Dumba$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:20 PM
user 6292802
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I was a Dumba$$

Title pretty much says it all. I was installing my new Hogtune kit today on my Ultra and wasn't paying attention when I installed the front right speaker. I forgot the re-install the spacer for the speaker and you guessed it.... I ran the screws through the inner fairing. One went clear through and the other two have raised the plastic on the show surface.

So I am looking for some input to determine how screwed I am. So here are my options.

Cover it up. Yes the classic band aid for those miserable mistakes. Is amyone aware of a chrome or paint-able insert for the speakers that would hid this on the inner fairing?

Next would be to repair the inner fairing. I have experience with repairing plastic and since this is ABS it would be easy to repair. However once repaired I will have to paint it to make it right so there is that expense.

Last is to just get a new inner fairing.

Your help and comments are appreciated.... Except for telling me I am a dumba$$. I already know that.....

Thanks!

Mark

Old 12-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Personally, I think you just gave yourself a great excuse to have a painted inner fairing. It truly is one of the best cosmetic upgrades you can do to your bike. You have two choices to accomplish this, and it depends on the color of your bike which one to go with.

If you have an easy color like mine, Vivid Black, I would fix the holes in your current fairing and have it painted by a local painter. I had mine done for around $150 but most colors besides black will cost more.

You could order a new one already painted through a 20% discount site or your local dealer, depending on if you can install it yourself or want it installed. Some places do winter specials and offer 20% off on the fairing and labor.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:21 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I have an inner off my 12 FLHTK you can have for shipping. Perfect condition except for the hole I made for my fairing mounted GPS.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 PM
user 6292802
Banned

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I have an inner off my 12 FLHTK you can have for shipping. Perfect condition except for the hole I made for my fairing mounted GPS.

PM sent

Old 12-27-2013, 12:40 AM
bsnilloc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all make mistakes on our bikes. The only difference is how often and whats the cost to fix it. lol

Hope you like the speakers/amp setup?!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:45 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you made 2 mistakes !! The Hog Tunes kit, then the hole in the fairing !!

Hope it all turns out well for you !! A painted inner is one of the best mods out there !!

Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

maginter.. I pulled the fairing out of the attic and much to my surprise I guess the kids put a full propane bottle on top of the box and cracked the inner from the right edge all the way to the tach hole.

If you still want it, be happy to send it but it's definitely going to take some work to get it back into shape. IMO it's now trash..

Old 12-28-2013, 01:53 PM
user 6292802
Banned

maginter.. I pulled the fairing out of the attic and much to my surprise I guess the kids put a full propane bottle on top of the box and cracked the inner from the right edge all the way to the tach hole.

If you still want it, be happy to send it but it's definitely going to take some work to get it back into shape. IMO it's now trash..

No problem and thanks for the offer.....

Old 12-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Hailey's Comet
Advanced

fix it and paint it--it was meant to be

Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

maginter.. I pulled the fairing out of the attic and much to my surprise I guess the kids put a full propane bottle on top of the box and cracked the inner from the right edge all the way to the tach hole..
That's the kind of stuff that'll make you wanna kick them in their tach hole!!!!

Quick Reply: Help! I was a Dumba$$