Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tweeter recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:13 AM
tpb857
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Default tweeter recommendation

I upgraded my sound system with a BT 4180 amp and upgraded speakers in the fairing, lowers and saddlebag lids. The head unit and tweeters are those that came stock with the bike. I will be taking the head unit out to have RCA jacks installed. I would like to change out the tweeters while I have it apart. These go in the gauge holes on both sides of the radio. Any recommendations for some good tweeters that would be compatible that wouldn't have to be modified to install? Thanks.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Ratrod49
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Empty gauge holes work awesome for component systems. What kind of speakers do you have? and you will need a crossover to separate the mids and tweets. I like silk dome tweeters if thats a start.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

me personally like 2 tweeters as they are real close in soft note reproduction. In other words not harsh like a lot of tweeters are.

Polk DB1001

Arc Audio XDi 1.0

I don't know that you'll need them but I would get them just in case to have on hand if you do and that's the EGC gauge plugs. HD Part# 75106-96a

Old 12-21-2013, 09:18 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

These are some of the best I have heard, with crossovers and plug-n-play wiring included http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=HTWT-1025-CRF ,,,

Old 12-26-2013, 04:21 AM
tpb857
Road Master

Thanks for the responses guys.

UN, I'm using the gauge holes on both sides of the head unit as the bike has stock tweeters there. I know that you said that I probably wouldn't need them, but is there any purpose for getting the gauge plugs other than plugging up the gauge holes if you are not going to use them? I have never seen them, which is why I ask.

JMJohn, I didn't see the crossovers listed on the link to your tweeters. Are they built in? Also, I'm not quite sure about the installation of your tweeters with my setup since the only thing that is stock is the head unit. I do have an aftermarket amp powering the 6 aftermarket speakers and the stock tweeters. On installing your tweeters, where would you suggest hooking the wiring up?

Thanks again. Have a Happy New Year.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:21 AM
Da Shadow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpb857

UN, I'm using the gauge holes on both sides of the head unit as the bike has stock tweeters there. I know that you said that I probably wouldn't need them, but is there any purpose for getting the gauge plugs other than plugging up the gauge holes if you are not going to use them? I have never seen them, which is why I ask.

JMJohn, I didn't see the crossovers listed on the link to your tweeters. Are they built in? Also, I'm not quite sure about the installation of your tweeters with my setup since the only thing that is stock is the head unit. I do have an aftermarket amp powering the 6 aftermarket speakers and the stock tweeters. On installing your tweeters, where would you suggest hooking the wiring up?

Which gauges do you have left if two of the holes are used by tweeters? Which gauges do most folks stop using in order to use two holes for tweeters?

Old 12-26-2013, 06:40 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tpb857

tpb857: if your stock tweeters are still working, you can try those out connected to the amp before spending $ unnecessarily on new tweeters. You might find that you like them once you put a little power behind them. But IMO you're better off with a much better tweeter that isn't so harsh like the ones I listed previously. Also for the gauge plugs, most tweeters are not made to fit directly into the holes in the fairing and the gauge plugs serve the purpose of cutting the appropriate size holes in them, inserting your new tweeters, then insert the assembly into the fairing holes.

To hook them up simply wire them to the same outputs you're using for your fairing speakers. Tweeters will make no difference with the ohm loads by the nature of the design.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:05 AM
tpb857
Road Master

Originally Posted by Da Shadow
Which gauges do you have left if two of the holes are used by tweeters? Which gauges do most folks stop using in order to use two holes for tweeters?
The two small gauges that I have left are the voltmeter and the oil pressure gauge. The CVO SG does not have an air temp gauge and the fuel gauge is in a mirrored cap on the left side of the tank.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:08 AM
tpb857
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
tpb857: if your stock tweeters are still working, you can try those out connected to the amp before spending $ unnecessarily on new tweeters. You might find that you like them once you put a little power behind them. But IMO you're better off with a much better tweeter that isn't so harsh like the ones I listed previously. Also for the gauge plugs, most tweeters are not made to fit directly into the holes in the fairing and the gauge plugs serve the purpose of cutting the appropriate size holes in them, inserting your new tweeters, then insert the assembly into the fairing holes.

To hook them up simply wire them to the same outputs you're using for your fairing speakers. Tweeters will make no difference with the ohm loads by the nature of the design.
That answered a lot of questions for me. I was wondering about the fit since all of the tweeters I looked at weren't the same size.