Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

polyfill?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
So does it really make that much or a difference?
A LOT... even with the fairing off..

Old 03-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does covering the speakers with polly fill actually do the the sound? is it like using sound absorption matting as a lining on the fairing

Can anyone explain what the difference in sound is between this method of lining the whole inner fairing.

And this method of just wrapping the speakers.

Here is where the origions of the matting comes from
Wrap on inner fairing

Last edited by Fozzy4325; 03-24-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pollyfill "tricks" the speaker into thinking it has more airspace by slowing down the sound wave.

Dynomat and FatMat absorption matting firm up the mounting surface and absorb the sound wave to reduce rattles and reduce hollow "tin" sound.

Two different animals. The sound absorption material on the inside of the fairing, IMO, will not make the speaker sound any better, but will reduce any vibration or rattling from the speakers.

And the Polyfill in picture #3 is overkill. Too much will hurt more than not having any at all. Instead of slowing the wave down, it's choking it.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1... Initially I had too much polyfill stuffed like above and it deadened the sound so I took it out. The sound was still too harsh for me, so I put a few thin sheets (approx. 1/4 inch thick) wrapped around my Polk MM651s as suggested by UltraNutz and others, and that seems to have done the trick. Better bass, and more controlled highs/mids. I'm pleased with the sound now.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Drkknt
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about speaker baffles? Do they accomplish the same thing? I was planning on using those when I installed my new speakers.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 PM
gator9329
4th Gear

Thanks for the info guys . I'm going to try this tonight.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Housegoat
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
And the Polyfill in picture #3 is overkill. Too much will hurt more than not having any at all. Instead of slowing the wave down, it's choking it.
any chance of a pic showing how much should be used before I fill my fairing with spraycan expanding foam??

Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I mentioned this to Bill at BikeTronics and he had never heard of doing such a thing. Interesting..... but if ears have seen a difference, then I will do the same. UltraNutz - have you seen the poly fill to make a big difference?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Da Shadow
Tourer

Originally Posted by dforeid
I mentioned this to Bill at BikeTronics and he had never heard of doing such a thing. Interesting..... but if ears have seen a difference, then I will do the same. UltraNutz - have you seen the poly fill to make a big difference?
Interesting. I think he is trying to avoid a debate because there are strong feelings about this. Bill is a great guy, don't get me wrong, but he and I discussed polyfil last winter when I bought my speakers and amp from him. He first suggested not using it. He said they had not found it benefited the BT 7.1s. I spoke to him several times and the last time was about the pods. For the pods he said one layer in the bottom would be ok but he wouldn't really comment on benefit. He said it wouldn't hurt. He really only wanted to say the pods are great as shipped..........

Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

That's funny! Polyfil used correctly makes all the difference in the world

Quick Reply: polyfill?