Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:28 PM
desertrat702
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some suggestions please

Well after having Harley's for 10yrs I now own a bike with a radio a 2013 road glide custom. For the first week I was stoked this radio thing is great then the reality set it and I noticed it was garbage.

My plan started with a pbr 300x2 amp and Polk mm6501. The more research I'm doing the more I am seeing you guys having the probs with the polks. Is there a good alternative with similar sound quality? Also if I stay with the polks how do I mount the separate tweeters? I don't like the hog tunes cluster bezel thing it looks terrible.

I may go with an aftermarket head unit at some time but don't see it in the immediate future. No plans on ever having more than 2 speakers.

How do you connect the amp to the hk head unit, I'm guessing a line level converter since it doesn't have preamp outs.

What else will I need right now I'm looking at

Speaker adapter rings
Bracket for amp
Amp wiring kit( is 10ga big enough)
Some kind of tweeter grill, does someone make one that doesn't already have tweeters in them.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by desertrat702
Well after having Harley's for 10yrs I now own a bike with a radio a 2013 road glide custom. For the first week I was stoked this radio thing is great then the reality set it and I noticed it was garbage.

My plan started with a pbr 300x2 amp and Polk mm6501. The more research I'm doing the more I am seeing you guys having the probs with the polks. Is there a good alternative with similar sound quality? Also if I stay with the polks how do I mount the separate tweeters? I don't like the hog tunes cluster bezel thing it looks terrible.

I may go with an aftermarket head unit at some time but don't see it in the immediate future. No plans on ever having more than 2 speakers.

How do you connect the amp to the hk head unit, I'm guessing a line level converter since it doesn't have preamp outs.

What else will I need right now I'm looking at

Speaker adapter rings
Bracket for amp
Amp wiring kit( is 10ga big enough)
Some kind of tweeter grill, does someone make one that doesn't already have tweeters in them.
The pbr300x2 uses the speaker wires from the head unit as the inputs. If you don't want to mess with mounting tweeters, you can use the Polk MM651's instead of the 6501's. They are coax speakers so the tweeters are attached. 10 gage wire is plenty big enough. You will need the adaptor rings, but I think they have to be modified to work on the Road Glide. Not sure how the amp will mount on your bike as well, but on the batwings, you can mount it directly on top of the head unit.