Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Enclosures for 2014 Batwings...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speaker Enclosures for 2014 Batwings...

I saw this picture on another thread...I haven't opened up my 2014 batwing yet...but it appears there are enclosures over the speakers...look like a good spot for some acoustic foam...thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Speaker Enclosures for 2014 Batwings...-img_3003-1-.jpg  
Old 10-11-2013, 07:22 AM
WildThang
Road Master

bump...

no one with thoughts? might have to cross post this..

Old 10-11-2013, 08:51 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by WildThang
I saw this picture on another thread...I haven't opened up my 2014 batwing yet...but it appears there are enclosures over the speakers...look like a good spot for some acoustic foam...thoughts?
no quite sure what you meant or what your question specifically was here is why I never replied.

Are you talking about removing the boxes, replacing speakers, and using acoustic foam? If so, not gonna happen bud. Those boxes are now your outer fairing support brackets and are required to remain in the fairing for stability of the fairing. We're still trying to determine what speakers will and will not fit in these enclosures.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he's taking about polyfill inside the stock speaker enclosures.

I say go for it. Can't hurt.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 AM
WildThang
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
I think he's taking about polyfill inside the stock speaker enclosures.

I say go for it. Can't hurt.
Yes I was...sorry if I wasn't specific. Yes...line the interior with acoustic foam...

Old 10-13-2013, 05:07 AM
WildThang
Road Master

Seeing further pictures of the speaker enclosure...doesn't look like there is much room fro any additional foam in the interior...was a nice thought....

I admit I went for the easiest route (plug and play) for my upgrade and will install the Harley/Boom amp and replacement faring speakers. I know there are much better speakers out there...but I have used various ones in my old ride and they never seemed to hold up to the vibrations of a Harley or my aggressive riding style.

I do plan to go with with some different aftermarket cones when I get my saddle bag top sometime soon though...

Old 10-13-2013, 06:50 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WildThang
Seeing further pictures of the speaker enclosure...doesn't look like there is much room fro any additional foam in the interior...was a nice thought....

I admit I went for the easiest route (plug and play) for my upgrade and will install the Harley/Boom amp and replacement faring speakers. I know there are much better speakers out there...but I have used various ones in my old ride and they never seemed to hold up to the vibrations of a Harley or my aggressive riding style.

I do plan to go with with some different aftermarket cones when I get my saddle bag top sometime soon though...
I dislike that "plug and Play" marketing crap that Harley, J&M, Hogtunes etc, all seem to toute so much. Everything is plug and play. Yes the "upgrade in a box" is pre-engineered to be easy install, but all they do is take 1 or 2 steps (connectors) out for you at a VERY HEFTY increase in price. Your talking spending 1K on the shitty HD BOOM! stuff so that you don't have to crimp a few connections? You don't even have to cut any of the stock HD wiring if you don't want to. With that $1000 you were going to spend on sub-par audio equipment, you could build a killer system for less money even, and have the satisfaction of having done it yourself to boot. And trust me when I say that those BOOM! speakers aren't any more sturdy or capable of handing a life on two wheels than anything else out there. If you're really set on a pre built kit, do choose Hog Tunes over BOOM! Its not as good as building it yourself, but it's hands down better equipment than the BOOM! crap. I'd bet good money that our own audio guru, UltraNutz, will agree with me on that.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 AM
WildThang
Road Master

Thanks for the input...noted...

Old 10-13-2013, 09:36 AM
sandmhale
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WARRANTY concern

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
I dislike that "plug and Play" marketing crap that Harley, J&M, Hogtunes etc, all seem to toute so much. Everything is plug and play. Yes the "upgrade in a box" is pre-engineered to be easy install, but all they do is take 1 or 2 steps (connectors) out for you at a VERY HEFTY increase in price. Your talking spending 1K on the shitty HD BOOM! stuff so that you don't have to crimp a few connections? You don't even have to cut any of the stock HD wiring if you don't want to. With that $1000 you were going to spend on sub-par audio equipment, you could build a killer system for less money even, and have the satisfaction of having done it yourself to boot. And trust me when I say that those BOOM! speakers aren't any more sturdy or capable of handing a life on two wheels than anything else out there. If you're really set on a pre built kit, do choose Hog Tunes over BOOM! Its not as good as building it yourself, but it's hands down better equipment than the BOOM! crap. I'd bet good money that our own audio guru, UltraNutz, will agree with me on that.

I agree that you can get better stuff for much less money if you are willing to just do a little work yourself. The connectors of course come to mind, I have been working in electronics for 28 years and have no problem finding a good set of 2 ohm 6 1/2 inch speakers and making my own connectors to fit onto the Harley wiring harness. I'm sure it will work better and be much cheater than the BOOM! products. My concern is that when the radio craps out in 2 years and I take it to Harley and they see the factory connectors clipped off and my own speakers installed...bye bye warranty coverage. "you altered the vehicle and voided the warranty by damaging the wiring harness" I can hear the service desk saying it already!
While i would really prefer a set of Infinity ( I love their soft dome tweeters) or JBL (bang for the buck king)...I would probably shell out the extra money and get the BOOM! 6.5 speakers just to avoid warranty problems. I paid extra for the extended warranty on my 2014 SGS...not gonna risk wasting that money.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:47 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I disagree ,,,, the importance of properly designed plug-n-play speakers and amplifier kits cannot be overstated, in keeping with the long term mechanical & electrical integrity of your Harley, both inside and outside of the fairing ,,,,,,

as an example, take a look at this brand new SS J&M ROKKER XT amplifier mounting bracket system for the 2014 Ultra/Ltd, with plug-n-play wiring harnesses at all connections ,,,,,,,

yeah, you might pay a little more, but it IS worth it ,,,,,

Attached Thumbnails Speaker Enclosures for 2014 Batwings...-jamp-500hc14-ulp-mountonbikesmsz10-2013.jpg   Speaker Enclosures for 2014 Batwings...-jamp-500hc14-ulp-tableshotsmsz10-2013.jpg  

Last edited by JMJOHN; 10-13-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: forgot important info

Quick Reply: Speaker Enclosures for 2014 Batwings...