Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hideaway Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Jbizzle
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hideaway Subwoofer

Hey guys I saw this little subwoofer while shopping at best buy. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cbBIrLC...ker-11HS8.html

Was wondering if anyone had tried this, as it would appear to fit in the saddlebag pretty easily. Also any tips on installing it? I've got 6x9s already bought, just waiting on my speaker lids to come in. Think this might round out my system pretty well. Opinions or other options welcomed.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

No experience with this type of enclosure personally, but from what I know about subwoofers, it probably won't produce much bass because of the limited airspace and you will only hear what it does produce at low speed or when parked.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for out of it and if you can spare the saddlebag/tour pak space.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:30 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

no experience with it but have to agree with Pioneer74.. Bass is pretty much lost at speeds.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Jbizzle
Road Captain

ok, gotcha. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 AM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

As much as I would love some boom,I for one wouldn't sacrifice the luggage space

Old 10-02-2013, 11:39 AM
cavmedic
Advanced

Typically you won't get much bass when it is wide open. Car sub woofers and their enclosures kind of rely on the acoustics of the interior of the cab to resonate or bounce around if you will .

Same thing holds true with home sub woofers. you get the best sound from them when they are in a corner , but if it is too boomy , you put it out in the open and it tightens up a little bit .

But bass is low frequencies moving through the air , and to get lots of bass , you need lots of air movement. Think of a concert or a DJ having to fill an open room . BIG speakers and BIG amplifiers ....

With the proper speakers and enclosures ( I read a thread recently talking about how their speaker baffles changed the sound of the speakers) you can get killer sound out of smaller speakers, but the enclosures have to be tuned properly , perfect around of cubic volume of air space behind based on the specs of the speakers.

Audio is a fine art and has lots variables. Anyone can just throw speakers in something and say it sounds good , but listen to something that was properly engineered and it will blow your mind ... ( think of your newer premium audio systems in newer cars and how far they have come from the single center dash speaker)

Old 10-02-2013, 12:02 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by cavmedic
think of your newer premium audio systems in newer cars and how far they have come from the single center dash speaker
funny you mention this.. I was just reading some info on a headunit from Retrosound that replaces the stock head unit in a 67 GTO complete with ***** and it's a media player to boot.

gawd man you're giving me flashbacks to the 3.5" and 4x6" speakers that used to be a biatch to get out of a dash!

Old 10-02-2013, 02:31 PM
cavmedic
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
funny you mention this.. I was just reading some info on a headunit from Retrosound that replaces the stock head unit in a 67 GTO complete with ***** and it's a media player to boot.

gawd man you're giving me flashbacks to the 3.5" and 4x6" speakers that used to be a biatch to get out of a dash!

Jensen coaxal l 6x9's in the rear deck were the choice of motor heads world wide......

Old 10-02-2013, 03:37 PM
menmia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Jensen 6x9s in the back and fashioned a board and installed a couple of 4" rounds in the 4x10 opening in the front of my '65 Mustang. Later I started playing with putting something in the doors, and figured out there just was not enough room without a cutting torch. The pain was the electric antenna install in the fender.

I think we may have confirmed that we are old now.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:42 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by menmia
The pain was the electric antenna install in the fender.
man you aint' kidding. That's when fender skirts were still made of thin metal.

Originally Posted by menmia
I think we may have confirmed that we are old now.
yep.. I'm an old fart! But a wise old fart! :-)