Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB on 2014 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 07:47 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

It sounds like you are paying the Harley tech to learn how to use the programming software on the laptop. Since the mother ship did not teach them.

They clicked on the wrong thing when they had the computer connected because the CB is now under the wrong menu. I would talk with the owner or service manager and then maybe make a complaint to the mother ship.

Good luck with it.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:08 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

[quote=bissjim;12121808]It sounds like you are paying the Harley tech to learn how to use the programming software on the laptop. Since the mother ship did not teach them.]

I have to share that I too have been caught in this trap. Adding AMP and AUX lights to SGS I had to work with tech in shop to program the radio and lights staying on all the time.. I enjoy learning myself and he is grateful for my help, but I bitched out the Service manager when he charged me for the radio flash.
Sadly these guys are clueless and all, maybe not entirely their fault, but *&^% don't charge me when you need my help and then jokingly ask if I want a job....

Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Scott14SG
Tourer

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

That's what I thought too, I could see it if this was a real technical item to install, but it's a plug-play that anyone who can use a screwdriver can install, not to metnion it was working when I brought it in, and I'm not paying for their tech to learn his job.

The problem is that this was the service manager, he didn't want to hear what I had to say and I have a good feeling from his attitude that going over his head would just get me jerked around even more in the future. I wasn't exactly thrilled with them anyway but they were only 10 minutes from my house. I've learned that if you will jerk me around once you'll do it again, so I'll find someone who appreciates my business. My last HD was trouble free but now I understand a lot of the complaining here on the forum...and I understand the new stuff will have issues but HD really screwed the pooch on this radio.

I've got a buddy checking with guys in his club for a good tech but won't hear back until after the holidays, I'll post up how it goes.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:19 PM
indwind34
Novice

The service manager at my local dealer told me if I wanted the CB installed, it would'nt be a problem, they would use a hidden radio ant. and hook the CB to the existing ant.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:55 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Smile

Originally Posted by indwind34
The service manager at my local dealer told me if I wanted the CB installed, it would'nt be a problem, they would use a hidden radio ant. and hook the CB to the existing ant.
The CB antenna is not the same as the FM antenna. They look alike but are not designed or built the same. If you look at the base of the antenna you will see the letters (CB) or (FM). you can use an FM antenna if you want but your transmission power will go south and your SWR's will be way high. You could end up burning out the CB's final amplifier. Just a work to the wise.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 AM
nuages
Cruiser

Hi Scott...good luck with geting the radio flash done properly this time......just so hope it works out

Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 AM
nuages
Cruiser

Re radio and antennas.....wholly agreee Bissjim..........the CB antenna may look the same as the FM one.....but it is entirley different. When it comes to CB reception and trasnsmission you need the antenna tuned to the radio to get the lowest SWR possible using an SWR meter. Part of the difficulty is that motorbikes do not have the same ground plane (ie all that sheet metal) as cars have..so a low SWR reading is really important.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM
BuffaloBill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 14 FLHX
This is what makes this forum just AWESOME. Thanks for your help.

Some day i might add a cb. I know others will benefit from this.
Ditto for me
Thank you

Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM
BuffaloBill
Intermediate
Unhappy Flhxs cb unit

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
I checked again at the dealer and have been told can't add the CB or the sat radio. Going to be a lot of unhappy people if this is true.
I agree I spent 45 minutes at the dealer parts counter and gave him the parts needed to order thru this forum he even call Harley up and they stated it cannot be done
Sucks hopfully they will come up with a Kit in the near future

Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

good info on the 2014 Harley CB antennas here http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=CBAU-HU14 ,,,,,,,,

Quick Reply: CB on 2014 Street Glide