Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers or Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Diggman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Speakers or Amp?

If the budget will only allow an upgrade of the Boom! speakers OR the Amp, which would be the better way to go?

Can the stock speakers utilize the increased watts of the better amp or would I get a bigger bang for my buck by upgrading the speakers and leaving the rest of the system as is?

This is on a 2014 FLHTK.

Diggs

Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I stated in the thread you started in the Touring section, you must do the speakers. The stock speakers will not be able to handle the power of an amp.

And don't feel that you have to use Boom speakers. There are other options. There is nothing about the Boom speakers that give "bang for the buck".

Old 09-25-2013, 05:11 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

on the 2014s, don't do either with the Harley BOOM ,,,,,,,

I spent over $1,000.00 on Harley's website for the BOOM audio speaker upgrades & amp for my own 2014 ultra LTD and I got a lousy .8 decibel increase in output from the system ,,,,, ((108.1 stock vs 109.0 db with the BOOM Audio upgrades))

I actually liked the sound of the stock radio & speakers on the highway better than with the BOOM audio upgrades ,,,,,,,

our J&M ROKKER XX StreetGlide for instance will put out 120.0+ db using the same track of music with the db meter placed in the same location ,,,,, as was done on my 2014 Ultra ,,,

I have a new J&M video coming out next week, to show all of you the comparisons first hand ,,,,,,

until you see our testing results and video, you might want to think about saving your $$ ,,,,

Old 09-25-2013, 07:10 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

ALWAYS change your speakers first. This sets the stage for further upgrades without having to replace the speakers again.

Also as Pioneer74 stated, you have a LOT better options for speakers out there than boom audio crap and you DO NOT have to stay with speakers that are "motorcycle friendly". Go down to your local car audio store and take a listen to the 6.5" speakers they have and pick something you like.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Diggman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Motorcycle friendly is not required?

Thanks for the replies. This is my first touring bike with speakers so your input is a definite help.

Also as Pioneer74 stated, you have a LOT better options for speakers out there than boom audio crap and you DO NOT have to stay with speakers that are "motorcycle friendly". Go down to your local car audio store and take a listen to the 6.5" speakers they have and pick something you like.
Now that's good information to this old dude. I always assumed I would have to go with all-weather or marine speakers, which usually meant a little lower quality and a higher price. I ride all year round and have been known to travel in the rain more than once. I think I'll take a trip to the audio store and do some listening.

I spent over $1,000.00 on Harley's website for the BOOM audio speaker upgrades & amp for my own 2014 ultra LTD and I got a lousy .8 decibel increase in output from the system ,,,,, ((108.1 stock vs 109.0 db with the BOOM Audio upgrades))
dB increase (or not) aside, does the upgrade give any added "crispness" to the sound? I've always heard that volume is not always the end all, but I'm looking for some more bass and a good crisp treble. Yeah, I know - it's a freakin' Harley with Reinhart pipes, so hearing music is an added bonus but still...

Diggs

Old 09-27-2013, 09:06 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Diggman
Thanks for the replies. This is my first touring bike with speakers so your input is a definite help.

Now that's good information to this old dude. I always assumed I would have to go with all-weather or marine speakers, which usually meant a little lower quality and a higher price. I ride all year round and have been known to travel in the rain more than once. I think I'll take a trip to the audio store and do some listening.

dB increase (or not) aside, does the upgrade give any added "crispness" to the sound? I've always heard that volume is not always the end all, but I'm looking for some more bass and a good crisp treble. Yeah, I know - it's a freakin' Harley with Reinhart pipes, so hearing music is an added bonus but still...

Diggs
I can't tell you the last time I saw a fairing speaker that had ever been wet. And you've now got those bass boxes inside the fairing to further eliminate that concern. However with that said, I'm fairly certain most of what you find now a days for speakers are designed to handle the elements.

and yes you're 100% correct on the DB statement. Loud has no correlation to clean sound. You go for the clean sound and then if needed do what you need to (adding amp) to make it louder.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,595 Posts

i got a deal on a new set of BOOM speakers for my fairng and i can now turn the bass all the way up and it is much improved sound over the stock speakers. better speakers out there/ i'm sure, but for $150 BOOMS are hard to beat. just my .02 cents.

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2013, 10:44 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

my R&D man and I both agreed ,,, with the BOOM audio upgrades for the 2014 Ultra, the music actually sounded worse than when it was stock, and the bass was increased so much it just sounded real boomy & muddy ,,,,,,

highs were pretty good with either set-up ,,,,,,,