Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew PBR300x2 or Polk mm651's for second time this year

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 04:19 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Blew PBR300x2 or Polk mm651's for second time this year

Last Dec I ordered and installed the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 and Polk Audio mm651 speakers. All was good until last May-ish. Blew the speakers and sent back and got a new pair replacement.
Was sick since June and barely rode half a dozen times til today. Took her out for a spin today and the audio was typically loud as usual but then would cut down like amp was cutting out and sounded very tinny like nothing but treble was on, and only out of one speaker.
I thought maybe loose wire so I shut down the tunes til I got home to inspect.
It doesnt sound like amp is powering sound, and theres sound from left speaker and just barely from right. I tried swapping wires to make sure its a speaker issue and only left worked again with right being barely audible.
So, where do I go from here? Any other testing or trouble shooting suggestions?
I am going to try and wire amp to old stock speakers and see if that kicks amp in but am doubtful at this point. Just trying to rule out areas where possible.

UltraNutz HELP!

Old 09-21-2013, 04:23 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You swapped wires and problem stayed the same. Sounds like speaker problem. And maybe have your gain set to high?

Old 09-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you switched the wiring between speakers and the results are exactly the same, it must be the speakers.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:16 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

I swapped out and hard wired stock speakers to amp and it sounded loud and clear. Not an amp issue from what I can see.
My settings were HP, Gain was 5 1/2 - 6 and Freq was just over 100.
Looks like the Polk Audio mm651's are going back. This will be third set in less than a year. Are my settings that far off to be blowing these speakers or what?

Old 09-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems that if you have set to HP, your gains and frequency are too high. try setting gains at 5, freq at 60-80 and AVC at 2 bars.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Unless your a gluten for punishment choose another speaker too many reliability issues reported with speakers ur using.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member

Get a set of Biketronics 7.1 with a lifetime warranty and be done.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Had AVC at 2 bars. Could that slight difference in gains and freq make that much trouble for the speakers to handle? I thought the polks were more than capable of handling the power and amp. Its not like I had the settings maxed out. Im still trying to understand watts, ohms, and how they all work together.

Originally Posted by Sire2Twins
Seems that if you have set to HP, your gains and frequency are too high. try setting gains at 5, freq at 60-80 and AVC at 2 bars.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain

I am by no means an expert on this. Just thought I would regurgitate what others have shared and seem to be happy with.

You mentioned that you were running slightly over 100hz with it on HP and gains over 5, so just offered it as a possible adjustment that might make a difference. Personallly, I have mine set on AP with gains at around 11 0'clock position. Set gains using the by ear method. Been running the Polks daily for several months now, as I commute to work 100 miles per day. I push mine pretty hard in all kinds of weather and have not had any problems. Purchased them around the same time many of the others that are complaining about the Polks did, and have been trouble free. I also listen to a lot of hard rock, which is supposed to be harder on these speakers. Just makes me wonder how hard folks are pushing these things to have all of the problems that are being talked about.

I won't discount possible bad batches, or other issues, but mine have the same batch numbers that have been discussed as bad on this forum. I have also seen a lot of people say they "blew" other brands of speakers in these forums too. IMO, there are way too many variables that can contribute to audio problems to say everyone is doing the same thing.

As others have mentioned, if you have to replace anyway, might want to check out the BT 7.1's. If I had that extra spending money, that's the route I would want to take, but I'm on a budget.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
Im still trying to understand watts, ohms, and how they all work together.
Ohms - Resistance
Voltage - Force
Amps - Current
Watts - Power

When discussing our radio systems, the voltage is the only constant. 12 volts. The resistance is usually either 2 or 4 ohms. The lower the resistance, the more amperage that is drawn by the amplifier. The higher the amperage, the higher the wattage.

This might help a little.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...uestion501.htm

Quick Reply: Blew PBR300x2 or Polk mm651's for second time this year