Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew PBR300x2 or Polk mm651's for second time this year

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:09 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Im just not getting how I could be maxed out at 5 when gain can go up to 11. Wouldnt 11 be maxed out?

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
JohnnyC makes a very good and valid point and is precisely why I took that obnoxiously loud D&D 2-1 setup off my bike. Couldn't even hear myself think with that setup let-alone anything else..

Take a look at the pic below. There is an indent on both the gain and freq *****. If you're running gains set at 5 then you're maxed out and your are most certainly piping distortion into your system at a very early stage (volume level)

Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

my apologies sir. I keep forgetting that RF has their gain dial bass-ackwards. your 5 would be a normal 11-oclock position.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

OK,now I'm totally messed up,I've been closely following this thread because I'm waiting for my RF amps and Bk 7.1" speakers.Basically I'm gonna have the same setup and I'm a little concerned.Ultra,since you are da man on this and the fact that the RF PBR 300x2 is a popular amp favored by most of us here,maybe you could be kind enough to have a standard set up for this amp explained in pictures or diagram?I find the slotted control **** for the gain and frequency a little confusing.Isn't there a dotted indicator or something to tell you where you are at?It's just my opinion that the HU settings ie.volume,bass,treble and AVC need not be taken into account.After all,if you got the amp set at the optimum,the rest should fall into place,right?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:45 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Thanks for clearing that up UltraNutz. So with this info, my original settings of 5 1/2 gain and just over 100 freq should have been close to spot on and not contributed to blowing the speakers right? I do crank it to about 3/4 volume and my avc was 4 bars not 2.
Would that make such a big difference? Id hate to blow a third set so I want to make sure I have as much set correctly as possible. Thanks again for your time and help.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:52 PM
HDogg
Road Master

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
Thanks for clearing that up UltraNutz. So with this info, my original settings of 5 1/2 gain and just over 100 freq should have been close to spot on and not contributed to blowing the speakers right? I do crank it to about 3/4 volume and my avc was 4 bars not 2.
Would that make such a big difference? Id hate to blow a third set so I want to make sure I have as much set correctly as possible. Thanks again for your time and help.
Your hearing ok buddy?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:11 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

lol Not so good anymore...especially at 80mph. My mp3 player doesnt always sound as good as cds so that could play a part in as well.

Originally Posted by HDogg
Your hearing ok buddy?

Old 09-27-2013, 02:20 PM
HDogg
Road Master

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
lol Not so good anymore...especially at 80mph. My mp3 player doesnt always sound as good as cds so that could play a part in as well.
Like what Ultra mentioned earlier,Mp3 sound differs form one song to the other.You got to look out for the ones that are 128 bit rate any above for some decent sound quality.Go easy on your ears man otherwise we won't be having this discussion soon.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

OK,now I'm totally messed up,I've been closely following this thread because I'm waiting for my RF amps and Bk 7.1" speakers.Basically I'm gonna have the same setup and I'm a little concerned.Ultra,since you are da man on this and the fact that the RF PBR 300x2 is a popular amp favored by most of us here,maybe you could be kind enough to have a standard set up for this amp explained in pictures or diagram?I find the slotted control **** for the gain and frequency a little confusing.Isn't there a dotted indicator or something to tell you where you are at?It's just my opinion that the HU settings ie.volume,bass,treble and AVC need not be taken into account.After all,if you got the amp set at the optimum,the rest should fall into place,right?
no worries bud. RF just puts their gain control upside down (different from everyone else) so instead of going from 7 oclock position (min)to 5 oclock position (max) like everyone else does.. RF gains go from 1 oclock position(min) to 11 oclock position (max). If it makes you feel any better, turn the amp upside and adjust your gains.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 09-27-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mp3 sound differs form one song to the other.
You can fix that.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Old 09-27-2013, 04:26 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
unless I've been doing something wrong (certainly not beyond phathom).. I've never been able to properly normalize MP3s with that (and other) software.

Quick Reply: Blew PBR300x2 or Polk mm651's for second time this year