Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me build my batwing sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:36 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Help me build my batwing sound

I recently ordered a standard Reckless batwing for my FLHR. So far I've purchased some Polk db691 6x9 speakers. I see that there is a marine grade receiver made by Infinity, (INFPRV250) offered on their site. Anybody have experience with that model? I'm not sure what hole they cut as this is not a conventional shaped receiver, (Reckless is closed now and will have to wait until Monday).
Plus, should I buy a little amp such as the RF PBR300X2?
I just want to be able to clearly here it at 55mph speeds and wonder if it would be able to do that without adding an amp. Maybe try it and get an amp if I'm not satisfied?
Dene
Thanks by the way!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:57 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

That amp will make all the difference, if you want clear tunes at highway speeds you'll want it.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:21 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
That amp will make all the difference, if you want clear tunes at highway speeds you'll want it.
Done deal then, thanks for the input.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:49 AM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the RF PBR300x2! It's a great little amp!! Probably the best available for the price and no FM Issues.

Last edited by rbferg; 09-14-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:55 PM
CGP93
Tourer
Location: Orig Surfers Paradise Australia, then Riyadh Saudi Arabia, Tokyo, Toronto, now So Cal
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbferg
+1 on the RF PBR300x2! It's a great little amp!! Probably the best available for the price and no FM Issues.
Agreed. I run the same amp in my SG on UNZ's recommendation - rock solid little amp with plenty of punch for my ears (!)
Note: set HP not AP and ground it to the battery - just my $.002

Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Default Soundstream Option PN2.350D

From my limited knowledge I've gained so far, I read that the RF can get quite hot and now I'm looking at the Soundstream PN2.350D but the drawback is that it is a Class D amp, (whatever that means), and it gives off quite a bit of FM interference, and I plan on listening to a lot of FM channels. It has a bit more power for my 2 db691 Polk speakers also.
What now?
Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:57 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2channel RF doesn't have heat issues,.......and they seem to have disappeared in the 4channel. The 2chanel RF is Good amp.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
The 2channel RF doesn't have heat issues,.......and they seem to have disappeared in the 4channel. The 2chanel RF is Good amp.
Thanks pearl!!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Default Just talked with RF...

He said the either the 2 or 4 channel WILL run hot, but nothing to worry about if it is set up correctly, I'll worry about the correct way to set it up when the time comes, I have all winter. Nothing wrong with mounting it on the stereo unit itself as most do it that way.
Side note:
Also phoned Reckless and told them I just bought one of their standard units off eBay for $290. Told her that I read on these forums that it is important to use metal grommets rather than the rubber ones on my road King. "When you buy the stereo pack you get the metal grommets" she said. Now they want $50 for some since I just got the basic fairing, sans stereo components, what a gouge eh? Wonder if Harley sells them, they must use metal on Ultra's etc?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Default Head unit query now....

Just to re-kindle this question about parts for my stereo. I have the Polk 6X9" speakers now, RF 300X2 amp and for the head unit i'd like to know if the cd versions out there really skip a lot. They are not much more than a basic Bluetooth media player and I do have a big collection of cd's.
Reckless fairing is pretty good bang for the buck by the way.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Help me build my batwing sound