Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whole lotta info needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013 | 10:54 PM
marvo75
|
Road Master
Default Whole lotta info needed.

Over the fall winter I'm gonna redo my sound on my road glide. I plan on putting in New speakers in the stock location, and wanted two more down on the sides of the inner fairing facing the forks. Planned on going with a marine deck. Also wanted to run an amp and an 8" sub in my inner saddle bag. Can I get sum advice on brands and any other advice....huge thanks!

Old 08-30-2013 | 12:15 AM
sl33py
Tourer

check out glacier pearl's setup.

Start reading up on the threads - a ton of good info.

budget? Want to amp it (assuming so)? Are you sure you want marine? It's less features for $, with marginal more "waterproofing" (i think just the sticker...).

GP has 4 6x9's in saddlebags - i bet they are better than most dedicated subs (more surface area)... given enough power. Definitely check out the pioneers he recommends.

GL!

Old 08-30-2013 | 12:39 AM
marvo75
|
Road Master

I thought ya had to go marine on a bike because of weather? I will start reading, and yesd def want an amp!

Old 08-30-2013 | 07:08 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by marvo75
Over the fall winter I'm gonna redo my sound on my road glide. I plan on putting in New speakers in the stock location, and wanted two more down on the sides of the inner fairing facing the forks. Planned on going with a marine deck. Also wanted to run an amp and an 8" sub in my inner saddle bag. Can I get sum advice on brands and any other advice....huge thanks!
I wouldn't waste my time with an 8" sub. I ran across a friend of mine a few weeks ago riding a roadie that paid some un-Godly amount of $ to a custom audio shop in OK that went through the trouble of glassing in a mount and installed a 10" JBL sub into his right saddlebag facing inward along with the rest of the audio install. Amped it with a bridged arc-audio 125.2BX (not even mounted, just laying in the bottom of the saddlebag I might add) along with the arc 125.4 driving RF speakers in the fairing and lowers. So he was cranking a little on it and it really sounded like crap.. So we talked, I tweaked a little on his RF head unit/arc saddlebag setup and it really just didn't sound so good. Walked over to my bike which is currently running the BT 6x9s in the lids (waiting for my Pioneer 6x9s to come back from a vendor). He was not only blown away at the SQ/sound but absolutely floored that I had less than $1500 tied up in the setup including the cost of the lids. 2 BT479 6x9s, 2 BT7P1 in fairing, 2 Polk MM651 in rear pods, PN4.520D running fairing and rears, PN2.350D running lids. His $3500+ investment couldn't hold a candle..

Moral of the story is ;
don't waste your $ on subs for a motorcycle. Simply not worth it IMO because the ONLY way you're going to get a sub to perform the way a sub should perform is to build an enclosure around it (i am not and never was a fan of "free air" koolaid BS), tune that enclosure properly, and amp it with a good Class A or B amp. Class A, B, and A/B amps are not good for motorcycles as they draw way too much current and produce way too much heat.