Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6x9 lower pods

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:17 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6x9 lower pods

Originally Posted by JCleary
I've melted tweeter stalks on two speakers out of two pair in my '10 Street Glide running an Arc 125.2. They still worked fine, but sounded a little weird. Not blown, but not new either.

My buddy has completely blown two pair with a J&M amp. He got pissed and made a factory HD fairing fit Pioneer 6x9's. Looks trick, same amp, sounds killer, no problems.

His brother has a melted tweeter on one MM651, running a J&M amp. He had no problems with the MB Quart separates he had prior to installing the Polks.

I've got two more pair of MM651's to install on my RG, coupled with a SS amp for the front, some Pioneer 6x9's and RF amp for the rear. I bought a SMD distortion detector and a X-over calibrator so I can properly set my system up. Hopefully tuning with a precision instrument versus by ear will make the speakers last longer than a few months...

I wonder how long they'll last?
That I have got to see!! Do you have any pictures of the 6x9's in the fairing??
I have been looking for something like this!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

BG.. check out the touring threads.. I just saw yesterday where someone (may have been JCleary) that posted pics of a wooden adapter plate he made for 6x9s in the batwing fairing.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
BG.. check out the touring threads.. I just saw yesterday where someone (may have been JCleary) that posted pics of a wooden adapter plate he made for 6x9s in the batwing fairing.
Yeah I saw that but those were 6x8 speakers he picked up from wallyworld. I would like to see some more pictures of that set-up, but more important, i would like to see actual 6x9's in there.

But now that I really think about it, the Pioneers I have in there now would vibrate the fairing so bad who knows what would happen.
Even the Polk's would shake that fairing pretty good!

I am more interested in fabricating something that looks good for the lower fairing that will hold a 6x9 and not look stupid.

I also have my eyes on the JL audio 8" full range marine speakers. I have some scrap aluminum here at work and I am thinking about buying a set to see what it would take to fabricate a spacer\adapter to mount the 8" in the lowers.

But thinking and "doing" are two different things.........lol

we will see.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:01 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

saw these guys a while back.. they make them both horizontal and vertical mounting

http://www.kustom1offbikes.com/Products.html Darnell is the guy who owns the place...

with the recessed grill ability are $699 a set unpainted. $200 solid colors. more $ for CVO colors.

Basically what he does is take a non vented HD lower, molds the hole for the 6x9 with fiberglass.

Available for both batwing and roadie setups..

Sinister also makes the horizontal ones..

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 08-15-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

My buddy had a spare inner fairing from his FLHX, so he and two other guys went to work on it. Chopped it, glassed in the 6x9 holes in, bondoed, sanded and painted it. It looks sick, totally factory. Can't even tell it's not OEM except for the grills from the 6x9's. Everything fits inside too.

I'll see if I can snag some pics this weekend.

I will say that it was a lot of work. But I haven't seen another one like it.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
saw these guys a while back.. they make them both horizontal and vertical mounting

http://www.kustom1offbikes.com/Products.html Darnell is the guy who owns the place...

with the recessed grill ability are $699 a set unpainted. $200 solid colors. more $ for CVO colors.

Basically what he does is take a non vented HD lower, molds the hole for the 6x9 with fiberglass.

Available for both batwing and roadie setups..

Sinister also makes the horizontal ones..
Those look cool! Bet they sound good!

Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JCleary
Those look cool! Bet they sound good!
got this really f-ed up feeling I'm fixing to find out... damnit man!