Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bluetooth communication

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
sdellap
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bluetooth communication

OK, I am too cheap to buy a real communication package and my fatboy lo does not have the option of adding one. Has anyone tried to use the bluetooth apps on their iPhones for rider-rider communications?

Old 08-13-2013, 02:19 PM
sl33py
Tourer

OK, let's clarify "cheap"... Are we talking a string and two cans cheap, or just not Harley $$$ cheap?

I use bluetooth communicators and have tried several. They have improved dramatically in the last couple years. I'm talking about the integrated into helmet units. Usually a small box on the left side w/ buttons on it, and speakers (stereo) and mic in helmet (if full face, or w/ boom mic if 1/2 or 3/4 helmet).

Do you really want to fiddle w/ your phone while riding? That just seems dangerous to me.

What kind of distance do you need Rider to Rider? That will help narrow down the options.

Most a couple years ago would do 1/4 mile. Most now are 1/2 to 1 mile (theoretical on paper or flat plain...) Reallity is surprisingly good, but not surprisingly a bit shy of what they sell them as.

Again, unless you are stuck on not paying for anything and really want to use your phone - i'd check out the Scala models ($$ to $$$) - G9 being their current flagship (like it a lot), and consider the interphone F4/f5 - i've had both for a couple years and really good quality for less.

Once you pick a brand you are kinda stuck as that's the only brand that will talk with eachother. Scala has a "community" and some features that lets you pair and chat w/ people on the fly while riding - kind of cool.

J&M also makes some harley specific communicators. If you wanted to integrate w/ a 2m or Motorola 2 way - they have cables to connect just about anything. At a premium usually.

GL!

Old 08-13-2013, 04:32 PM
sdellap
6th Gear

Very helpful information. I mainly want to talk to my passenger while on extended trips. The iPhone idea was just my easy way of getting a system to work via bluetooth. I think you are right that without a full duplex communication system there would be too many distractions to make it work.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 AM
sl33py
Tourer

There is so much info out there, without copy/paste - i just recommend you dig around on webbikeworld's review page for a bit. TONS of good info, pics, etc. Geek out and enjoy!

I think the top 3 are the Scala, Sena, and Interphone - seems like in that order of popularity. Each only talk to their own brand/models, but usually do work together old to new. So getting a new unit lets you use your old one w/ a buddy or for a passenger. Again Scala doesn't talk to Sena or Interphone units and vice versa.

Loudness for me was important because i wear earplugs - the Interphone f4 from a couple years ago (still have 2 going strong) was a standout because it got LOUD (compared to others at the time). I upgraded to a F5 to get some other bells and whistles - it's just as loud, but the menu system kind of sucks sometimes. I had it stuck in spanish for about a week...LOL... i got it sorted out eventually. with my crummy spanish I could get it to play music and work it well enough - just not annoying enough to get the manual out to fix it!

Scala and Sena both seem like top contenders. I decided to switch to the new G9 for the community features, and got a pair for my brothers to split - so we have easy 3 way communication when we ride together. I haven't swapped into my current helmet so haven't used it a ton, but it definitely seems to get loud enough as well.

So what's your budget for these? Just one or get one for passenger or other rider? The Scala Q series is supposed to be excellent, but has less features than the G series (no surprise there) - check out the detailed reviews if not sticker shocked on prices for them.

I've done a fair bit of digging for a good set (or three), and know what i like - another good site to get somewhat unbiased reviews (surprisingly) was via revzilla. They seem to lay it out and give good comparisons between the top models.

HTH - GL!

Rob