Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone with blown Polk mm series speakers, get in here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:27 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
All these so called "Blown Polk mm series" speakers has me thinking.
I have seen several post where guys say the glue let go and physically they can see the tweeter post coming apart.

But then I see other who say they just stopped playing after snap crackle and popping.

So I want to try this. I want to hear from anyone who has had a set of Polk mm series speakers blow or break.

The question is this
What amp were powering the Polk's when the blew up??

I have a hunch that they most of them are using the same amp or same amp manufacturer.

Post up fella's What amp were you using when the polk speakers blew or broke?
I've melted tweeter stalks on two speakers out of two pair in my '10 Street Glide running an Arc 125.2. They still worked fine, but sounded a little weird. Not blown, but not new either.

My buddy has completely blown two pair with a J&M amp. He got pissed and made a factory HD fairing fit Pioneer 6x9's. Looks trick, same amp, sounds killer, no problems.

His brother has a melted tweeter on one MM651, running a J&M amp. He had no problems with the MB Quart separates he had prior to installing the Polks.

I've got two more pair of MM651's to install on my RG, coupled with a SS amp for the front, some Pioneer 6x9's and RF amp for the rear. I bought a SMD distortion detector and a X-over calibrator so I can properly set my system up. Hopefully tuning with a precision instrument versus by ear will make the speakers last longer than a few months...

I wonder how long they'll last?

Last edited by JCleary; 08-15-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:07 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update: called sonic and pled my case. Ended up talking with a "line" supervisor named Ryan who provided me with his direct line and stated he would look into the issue. He took down notes on everything regarding the past and current problems with these speakers and said he would call me back with a resolution no later than tomorrow afternoon. Ill let y'all know what the outcome is.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Meanfarmer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
Update: called sonic and pled my case. Ended up talking with a "line" supervisor named Ryan who provided me with his direct line and stated he would look into the issue. He took down notes on everything regarding the past and current problems with these speakers and said he would call me back with a resolution no later than tomorrow afternoon. Ill let y'all know what the outcome is.
Sounds like same guy I talked to. He told me they were getting no returns on these speakers cuz they track that. Hmmmm. Then he told me the glue melted cuz I was overdriving them. My guess is they are eating too many polks and are shutting it down. Either way I will never deal with sonic again. I would like to talk to Polk now.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by Meanfarmer
Sounds like same guy I talked to. He told me they were getting no returns on these speakers cuz they track that. Hmmmm. Then he told me the glue melted cuz I was overdriving them. My guess is they are eating too many polks and are shutting it down. Either way I will never deal with sonic again. I would like to talk to Polk now.
They originally tried to pull that line of BS on me, but I wasn't having it. Get mad with them if you had to. We have a tool here with this forum. I personally know two people that have order their polks from Sonic and had to send them back. Ask to speak with a supervisor when you call and point them to this forum and all the threads that concern the polk issues.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Dumb Question: Where are all of the UNAUTHORIZED DEALERS getting these Polk speakers at, for half the price of an authorized dealer ?????

Could all of these speakers on Amazon be seconds or refurbs ??

There has to be something going on here.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Voldemort
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run my Polks with the SS amp. The first pair I installed blew both tweeter stalks completely out. I spoke with UltraNutz and reset my frequency switch to let less bass frequency to the speaker. After all you can't really hear the bass going down the road anyway. Set my gains to around the 11 o'clock position and the new Polks sound awesome. Hell, the first pair sounded awesome. The first pair lasted maybe 700 miles on a trip over Memorial Day weekend. The new pair has lasted ever since. I play classic rock anyways so I don't need all that bass. And yes.... I blame my speaker failure an pushing way too much bass into these speakers.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Meanfarmer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
They originally tried to pull that line of BS on me, but I wasn't having it. Get mad with them if you had to. We have a tool here with this forum. I personally know two people that have order their polks from Sonic and had to send them back. Ask to speak with a supervisor when you call and point them to this forum and all the threads that concern the polk issues.
Yeah, did all that too, the guy didn't care, i gave all that info as well. They did pay to ship the blown speakers back to me. I'm done with them, it's just not worth the trouble. Good luck to you, maybe you'll have better luck.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 AM
restorick
Cruiser

These return horror stories are why I sent mine back to Amazon a few days after I got the Polks, without opening the box. At the end of the day, if you're not paying retail price through an authorized Polk dealer for the speaks, you essentially don't have a warranty from the mfg to fall back on. I just wasn't prepared to gamble on the speaks puking on me.

When you compare the Polk's list price to the BT7.1s, you're in the same ballpark. When you add in the BT lifetime warranty, I figure I'm miles ahead.

Rick

Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by restorick
These return horror stories are why I sent mine back to Amazon a few days after I got the Polks, without opening the box. At the end of the day, if you're not paying retail price through an authorized Polk dealer for the speaks, you essentially don't have a warranty from the mfg to fall back on. I just wasn't prepared to gamble on the speaks puking on me.

When you compare the Polk's list price to the BT7.1s, you're in the same ballpark. When you add in the BT lifetime warranty, I figure I'm miles ahead.

Rick
ah but not quite... this was pointed out to me by MontyCop05.. Fry's Electronics sells the MM651 (authorized) for $239.. However they do price matching so he picked up a set for $155 or so..

Old 08-16-2013, 10:47 AM
restorick
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
ah but not quite... this was pointed out to me by MontyCop05.. Fry's Electronics sells the MM651 (authorized) for $239.. However they do price matching so he picked up a set for $155 or so..
Interesting - thanks for clarifying. We don't have Fry's here in cheese land, so I never even thought to look there.

Quick Reply: Everyone with blown Polk mm series speakers, get in here!