Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone with blown Polk mm series speakers, get in here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:39 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe a stupid question? But can you test an amp out of the box without hooking it up to any of your other equipment first? To find out if its a good amp or a bad amp? Then that way you dont smoke any of your other equipment in the process? Just Curious?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by badazzpred
Maybe a stupid question? But can you test an amp out of the box without hooking it up to any of your other equipment first? To find out if its a good amp or a bad amp? Then that way you dont smoke any of your other equipment in the process? Just Curious?
sure.. you'll need a scope, a quality adjustable power supply, a varying array of different frequency sine waves, and a whole lotta patience.

and by the way, I have a PN2.350D that I put on my test bench last night at 12.2v through 14.9v and the difference in AC voltage at same headunit volume with a 1khz sine wave out of the amp on both channels was so minimal it isn't even worth mentioning the .9v fluctuation between points. This was done with NO load on the outputs so the reading will change a little but not much from that.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
no offense here but you can go back and read the many threads about this issue and some are SS, some are RF, I do recall an Alpine KTP445U, and a Sony XM-4S as well in conversations..
Easier to do it with a new post.

And I was simply explaining my self, he ask and I told. Sorry I am on a "witch hunt".
But I did not see anything talking about any other cause other than claiming the Polks just "blew" due to either glue or just because they are from a particular batch.

And I am sorry but it just smells like something else is going on here.

I do not understand why every one is getting their feathers ruffled by me asking a simple question.

It's easy guys, if you don't like what you read, move along. If you don't want to answer the question, then don't.

as for me, I don't follow along just because i am told something and just suppose to believe it.
I like to do my own research and come to my own conclusion about things.

And so far, i have not read a single post from anyone trying to figure out why these polk are going out other than the multitude of post with everyone in this forum listening to the conclusions of a select few.

Sorry, I am not one of those guys. If no one likes the fact that I try to find solutions to my own problems and do not just take anyones word on it and follow blindly?

Old 08-14-2013, 03:07 PM
GAZippoman
Road Captain

Just heard back from Polk. Even though they were purchased from unauthorized on line Vendor Polk is sending me 2 new pairs and I will be sending my blown ones back. Was toldthe plastic melt on rear pods could only occur at temps above 180. I told Rep that I doubted temps in my rear pods came anywhere close to that.
Regardless, Polk is NOW aware of issues. But they don't know the cause.
And I've already put performance Focal 6.5s in the fairing and have a set if their polyglass 6.5s being delivered Friday fir the pods. Guess I've got 2 spare sets if the focals blow!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 PM
STL14
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two 651's in the lowers with a twisted/bent tweeter on the left and 691's in the bag lids with right speaker giving no bass and just a hint of highs. Using the SS520.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 PM
rbferg
Road Master

I completely understand trying to figure out the primary cause of Polk MM failures, but I don't believe you'll ever be able to pin it down to a single cause other than a large dose of poor quality control. I have no doubt distortion, heat and abuse are contributing factors for some. I'm sure there are allot more people running the same Polk and amp combo whether it be RF, SS, etc without issue than there are with issues. When guys have multiple sets of the same speakers taking a dump, that tells me bad speaker quality control, not bad amps! On with your quest!

Last edited by rbferg; 08-14-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire4Effect
If you recall, last week Polk told me they were unaware of any issues.
I assure you Polk Audio is now well aware of the issues.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:30 PM
HotVrod
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shredded my Polks

Well did the whole audio thing...sony head unit, SS amp and Polk 651's...sounded great..until running out to Sturgis and playing the system at 3/4 volume for a few hours in a row... I started hearing crackling and them a dull murrmrurmur from the right speaker the the left bit it..

After getting home and checking it out the right speaker had completely fallen apart..the tweeter center post came un glued and fell out of the speaker and was laying on the membrane of the speaker. The Left side was just rattling around....so..did they just get beat up and fall apart from the 3500 mile ride or was the SS amp at 3/4 volume for prolonged periods too much...?

Either way they are going back for return and I am giving the Biketronics 7.1's a try..

Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Great. I should be getting my MM651's in the mail today or tomorrow. Can't wait...

Old 08-15-2013, 04:00 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, just got a email from Sonic Electronix. They voided my warranty claim and now want to charge me to send my defective polks back to me! Not happy. Last time they warrantied them and this time they denied the warranty. What gives. Now I'm out the money spent. So now I'm at a quandary. Do I order another set from somewhere? Or do I wait and get the BT titans for the rears????

Quick Reply: Everyone with blown Polk mm series speakers, get in here!