Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk mm651, pbr300x2 Install Notes and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:57 PM
SteelHorseSD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polk mm651, pbr300x2 Install Notes and thoughts

After much research here I went with the popular polk/fosgate setup for my '06 streetglide. HUGE thanks to UltraNutz, and all the information he has graciously posted for everyone's benefit.. Could not have done this without his instructions. I owe him a beer or 10!

I had a couple follow up thoughts on the install that may help someone else in my position. There were a couple things I didn't understand as I'm a complete noob to stereo electrical. Here are a couple items, further dumbed down!

When coming up with my "shopping list" for this install, I didn't know if I needed an complete amp install kit or just the "power" kit. Turns out, only the power kit was needed. The 10awg was (for me) the hardest to find, and it appears there are 2 different types of fuses the come with. Not sure which is better. The speakers come with their own crossovers/wires. (This was noted in many posts/ in UN's instructions, but I had no clue what crossovers were, therefore I didn't know if I needed speaker wire or not)

Also, the polyfill comes in wads of it, or as batting. The batting are the flat pieces/sheets you need. I almost bought a bag of random wads, that wouldn't have worked so well.

You'll need electrical connectors (Duh) or better yet, be ready to do some soldering. I'm not very good at this, but I made do.

Amp grounding- As per the posted update from fosgate, I ran the ground all the way back to the battery. I'm still not sure if that's the best way to do it, or to just ground to the frame. Something to consider before you dive in.

That's all I've got, this was not a simple install for me, it took twice as long as I anticipated, mostly because I didn't have all the necessary tools and supplies ahead of time. I'll add any other notes if I think of any that might be helpful, but most of this has all been covered.

I'm happy with the sound and clarity of this setup. My stock HU won't play cd's without skipping, but through the aux input it sounds good. Speaking of which, does anyone know what you're supposed to set an iphone volume to when plugged in to the stereo?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 PM
bosshog104
Advanced

Thanks for your writeup
+1 Huge thanks to UltraNutz.
I'm putting in this exact setup but waiting on the polks to come in. Not real clear if I can put a speaker grill over these polks though. Can you or anyone else take a close up front pic of these installed, and/or give any insight to speaker grills. Currently using edge speaker covers and want to keep the look if at all possible.

Also, SteelHorseSD your happy with the sound? Not very convincing. Sounds like your not that thrilled with them. Just wondering.

BTW, my understanding is that you always turn the source (ipod) of the input up all the way, then adjust volume with the radio.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:40 PM
SteelHorseSD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bosshog104
Thanks for your writeup
+1 Huge thanks to UltraNutz.
I'm putting in this exact setup but waiting on the polks to come in. Not real clear if I can put a speaker grill over these polks though. Can you or anyone else take a close up front pic of these installed, and/or give any insight to speaker grills. Currently using edge speaker covers and want to keep the look if at all possible.

Also, SteelHorseSD your happy with the sound? Not very convincing. Sounds like your not that thrilled with them. Just wondering.

BTW, my understanding is that you always turn the source (ipod) of the input up all the way, then adjust volume with the radio.
Ok, thanks for the volume tip..

As for grills, I used the stock grill sandwiched between the adaptor rings and the fairing.. I had come across a picture of someone who had modified the polk grill to fit. Do you already have your 6.5" adaptors? If your current grill can fit in them, then you shouldn't have any problems. The adaptor holds the speaker about a half inch or so back from the speaker opening, so you have some room to play with for the grill. Not sure if that answers your question.

I am actually very happy with the sound.. I think you have to have the right expectations. These are, after all, 6" speakers playing outside, not in an enclosed vehicle. I have my bass turned all the way down to try and protect them, but I can turn the volume up loud enough to hurt my ears, and its still nice and clear with a decent range. Part of my problem is that I have a thunderheader 2 into 1 that's pretty damn loud, so the stereo is already in competition with that. Overall I'm very pleased and impressed with the sound I'm getting from theses speakers. Just nervous with all the current posts about them failing