Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FM reception with Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 PM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FM reception with Harmon Kardon

something I find frustrating. the 16 year old radio in my 97 suburban has 10 times better reception than my 2010 ultra classic. I can save 15 radio stations on an old GM radio and can't manage to get 2 or 3 on the HK. I do not run an amp so there is no issue there and I even have a inside fairing antenna in addition to the stock antenna coming off the tour pak. the inside fairing antenna is run high up in the fairing above the speakers and the majority of all the other wiring. I prefer to listen to the radio verses cd's or other add on devices. as anyone else experienced this as well and what can be done to improve what I have?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You're running 2 antennas??

Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Cross Audio
You're running 2 antennas??
Very good question.

OP...Why would you run two antennas? Have you had the faring off to see which is hooked up to the HK?

The external vertical antenna at the rear of your bike will always out-perform the compromise hidden antenna designs like the one you have in the faring.

Make sure your external antennal is plugged into the back of that HK. Then make sure, back in the tour pak, that all antenna connections, signal and ground, are clean and tight.

If it were me, I would also check the continuity of the center conductor of the radio antenna feedline from front to back, and also check to see if there is any compromise between the center conductor of the antenna feedline and the shield (ground). A crushed, kinked, or otherwise compromised antenna feedline will greatly affect it's ability to properly carry the signal from the antenna to your HK.

Now if the HK is having receiver sensitivity issues, that's another issue with which Iron Cross may be able to assist. But once you ensure that the signal path to the HK is good, and if there is no improvement, then your problem may likely lie inside the case of the HK.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 AM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser

the antenna port coming out the back of the hu goes into the j&m fairing antenna which then comes back out via another cable back to the tour pak antenna. how does one check for broken wires inside a shielded cable?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbaker1@farmersagent.com
the antenna port coming out the back of the hu goes into the j&m fairing antenna which then comes back out via another cable back to the tour pak antenna. how does one check for broken wires inside a shielded cable?

Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance of the wire, core to core, shield to shield and shield to core.

Core to core and shield to shield should be pretty close to zero. (It may show some resistance, depending on your settings. We can figure out what the actually resistance should be, if necessary)

Core to shield should read infinity.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

the antenna port coming out the back of the hu goes into the j&m fairing antenna which then comes back out via another cable back to the tour pak antenna.
Man you've lost me on this one. Why would someone go to the trouble of a hidden faring antenna, then leave the tour pak antenna intact, on the bike?

If you can find the cable going back to the tour pak antenna, take that and plug it into the back of the head unit, bypassing the faring antenna, and see what happens with reception. Do a before and after test.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 PM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser

when taking the detachable tour pak off one would not need to mess with hooking up the antenna down near the saddlebag. a hidden antenna is a convienent option. when you say it should read infinity does that mean 99999.99? is the radio antenna the cable on the left or right side of the tour pak looking at it from behind?

Last edited by cbaker1@farmersagent.com; 08-06-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like your running y cable with 2 antenna inputs to HU. I ran y cable for when I removed TP with a in fairing antenna & never had issue other than slightly worse reception on in fairing antenna. Without Fluke DVM LOL simply isolate issue and try only one antenna at time to see if notice any significant change.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 PM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser

thanks so much for each of your input. it is truly appreciated. I will be removing front outer fairing to diagnose this puppy. now that I have a little knowledge I will be very dangerous! HD forums is a awesome resource

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when taking the detachable tour pak off one would not need to mess with hooking up the antenna down near the saddlebag. a hidden antenna is a convienent option. when you say it should read infinity does that mean 99999.99? is the radio antenna the cable on the left or right side of the tour pak looking at it from behind?
I'm totally lost on the fairing mounted FM antennas. Perhaps someone could educate me on this. FM is line of sight, which means antenna height is the major influence in reception. Infinity means you have no reaction from the meter when testing. If separated from the head unit and antenna, you should have no reading between the core and the shield. That will let you know the cable is good.

Quick Reply: FM reception with Harmon Kardon