Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - handlebar controls not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 PM
ColoJB
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - handlebar controls not working

New here - first post.

07 FLHT - never had a stereo.

After researching here, I installed:
Sony CDX-GT700HD
SS PN4.520D
Polk MM651s, one pair in fairing
Used Biketronicks 1002 kit.

Great sound, love the system, hope the speakers hold up.

Handlebar controls do not work - either side.

Called Biketronicks - they suggested, unplug and re-plug the remote, each handlebar wire harness, and reboot their unit each time by uplugging it.

I did - nothing worked.

They sent me a brand new unit.

I installed it yesterday.

No Cigar.

I repeated the unplug, reboot, re-plug routine, still no cigar.

Any ideas ? ? ? I hate to think I have to start chasing the stock wiring.

THANKS in advance -

Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 PM
ColoJB
4th Gear

Any thoughts at all ???

Ever seen this, UN??

Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

hang tight.. I'm looking through the manual for verification on location but I'm almost 100% certain that on the bikes that had no stereos the 2 fuses were removed. Check the fuse box.. I believe it's fuse #5 (15a radio power) located in top right slot of fuse box and fuse #21 (15a radio memory) located in slot 2nd from top left fuse. If either of these are out or blown the BT controller won't work properly.

**verified**

Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM
ColoJB
4th Gear

Thanks, UN!!!

You are correct on location - I have an '08 manual, with different locations, but the fuse box itself is very well marked.
Both fuses are good, 15amp each - I had checked during install.
The stereo is working GREAT - sounds awesome at 80 mph or higher, but only works with controls on the HU (or remote).

You probably noticed, but I followed your advice on configuration - I used five different vendors - the amp, the Sony HU, the speakers, wiring harness & installation kit, and speaker rings. Further, I used the "sticky" on installation: neither the SS amp or the Biketronicks instructions said to connect the blue/white wire to the amp in the "remote in"; the only wire I had to splice. The amp wouldn't turn on until I did. I also ensured I read tour "sticky" on including all information on the configuration. I also ran a 10ga power and ground from the battery to the amp.

Sorry if I sounded a bit impatient, but I tried to do my homework - I was hoping someone had seen this before, and after 60 or more reads and no response, I wasn't sure.

Is there any chance that 2 Biketronicks units in a row are bad ? - I have my doubts.

I'm attempting to do my homework again, before I call Biketronicks for the third time. There are a lot cheaper wire harnesses out there, but none run auto-volume. At this point I'd be happy with manual volume on the handlebars.

To their credit, Biketronicks has been great (I think his name is Bill). At first, I wondered if the dealer had to "flash" the ECM to activate the handlebar controls, but I don't think so (I wouldn't put it past them - anything for a $).

Any further thoughts, ideas, suggestions are appreciated!!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

If youre going to be up for another 30 or so, pm your phone number and I'll call you

Old 08-05-2013, 10:24 PM
ColoJB
4th Gear

You bet - 719-473-5601.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM
ColoJB
4th Gear

You bet - 719-473-5601 - collect if you'd like !!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

sorry man I went to bed..

So lets talk about the bike for a sec..

it's a 2007. Did it have the stock handlebar controls or was that added to the bike prior to the radio being installed? If yes, where did the handlebar controls come from? Bought from HD, bought used? etc.

The Sony head unit: It should be plugged into the Biketronics device. Is that where it's connected?

The Biketronics device: has a 3.5mm plug on it that needs to be plugged into the back of the Sony head unit. is that connected securely in the vertical position?

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 08-06-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 AM
ColoJB
4th Gear

No problem on last night - I was long on my answer.

2007, stock controls. I did change the handlebars to some RSDs, but they are "stock size" and use the stock wires and cables. I double checked my left controls, took apart to ensure wiring is ok, not pinched; I'm fairly certain the right one is fine also.

The Sony is plugged to the Biketronics through the Sony harness (bought from Biketronics) via the white connector (around 8 pins?)

The plug is what Biketronics calls the "remote" - yes in the bottom right of the Sony (looking from the front) - straight up. It has the small V in it so it only works that way. This was the first thing Biketronics said to re-boot.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Sean Piva
Stage II
Default dont understand

2002 road glide
installed kenwood deck, no amp, the volume goes to max when connect scosche hand controls interface.
deck works fine by self, replaced interface with no change.

Last edited by Sean Piva; 08-11-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Help - handlebar controls not working