Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown speaker

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:45 PM
ajohnston78
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown speaker

I have a 2011 streetglide stock radio mm651 polk speakes and ss520 amp I'm just blew my second set of speaker just the one side . I set the amp I'm according to ultranutz info and I didn't have it too loud . Now I disconnected the bad speaker (just the woofer) and its plays good until I turn it up then the amp cuts out Nd I have to shut it off to reset it and it plays it again ? Think its the amp of just bad speakers the serial number starts with aa on these speakers

Old 08-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this is interesting. I'm having a similar issue and it dawned on me, the only speakers effected are the MM 651's. The amp has been sent to the manufacturer for testing.

Originally Posted by ajohnston78
I have a 2011 streetglide stock radio mm651 polk speakes and ss520 amp I'm just blew my second set of speaker just the one side . I set the amp I'm according to ultranutz info and I didn't have it too loud . Now I disconnected the bad speaker (just the woofer) and its plays good until I turn it up then the amp cuts out Nd I have to shut it off to reset it and it plays it again ? Think its the amp of just bad speakers the serial number starts with aa on these speakers

Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

big amps can be tough on speakers ,,, that is why we have built these http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=45 ,,,,,,

Old 08-04-2013, 12:16 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
big amps can be tough on speakers ,,, that is why we have built these http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=45 ,,,,,,
Not if they're set up right John...many have had zero problems with this exact set up, including our own audio wonder Ultranutz. Out of all the polks that have gone bad and been reported on this forum, I have yet to see a set that were truly "blown" from misuse. I could be wrong, but like I said, I've yet to see them.

Originally Posted by ajohnston78
It's the speakers. Polk has had a bad batch come through. My first set of MM651's, all four went. I got them replaced under warranty, and now two of the four have gone bad. Same issue as you. The SS amp is not over/under powering these speakers. From what those that know can tell; its bad glue that was used during manufacturing. All of the cases reported are from the batch AA26511XXXX. Contact the vendor you got them from and see if you can get a replacement set. I used sonic electronix and they have been good. They are sending me a new pair, and they're even covering the shipping costs. I think I think I might spend the money for a pair of biketronics titans and see how I like them. I'm going to talk with Ultra about it before I do, but I'm getting tired of my speakers going. Can't beat the lifetime warranty from biketronics.

Last edited by MontyCop05; 08-04-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 AM
houronron
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I think I think I might spend the money for a pair of biketronics titans and see how I like them. I'm going to talk with Ultra about it before I do, but I'm getting tired of my speakers going. Can't beat the lifetime warranty from biketronics.[/QUOTE]

After going to UltraNutz home and listening to his system, I ordered and installed the Biketronics 7.1'' speakers in my front fairing. I have a Kenwood KIV701 hu, ARC KS125.2 mini amp, 7.1 BK speakers, Dynamat in the fairing and I will tell you this they are pretty impressive. After installing, I set the hu back to the factory settings, set the volume to 3/4, set each individual gain on the amp to where it started to distort then backed it down till it stopped, reset the hu to my liking and then gave it a whirl and the results were impressive. I will add some rear pod speakers next.

I have to thank UltraNutz for inviting me to his home to listen to his system, that made up my mind what speaker to order and install.

Ronnie

Old 08-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent some questions to your customer service about the 7.25's and whether I can keep the stock grills using them in the upper and lower fairings. The upper seems like I could easily keep the factory grills, the lower, I'm not convinced. If my head unit and amp check out, I will probably change out the speakers, as that would have to be the culprit. I've read some good reviews about your products and since obviously you are willing to stand behind them, J&M would be a top choice for my replacement.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 AM
mmf
Cruiser

John I know you are a vendor and need to sell your wares but it would be nice to use your expertise to help someone instead of always just trying to sell them something. Just saying.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 AM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmf
John I know you are a vendor and need to sell your wares but it would be nice to use your expertise to help someone instead of always just trying to sell them something. Just saying.
Not fanning the flames here, but I'd have to agree. Only time I see JM John is when he's pushing a JM product to solve someones issue. I have no doubt the guy has to have some good knowledge in audio but I've yet to see him speak it. Come on John, wow us!

Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 AM
ajohnston78
Cruiser

Well I ordered an new ss520 Nd still deBting on the speaker I'm gonn order. I'm getting tired of replacing these speakers

Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

mmf ,,,,,,

I agree ,,, I am in SELLING mode most of the time ,,,,,,

on the subject of BLOWN speakers ,,,, EVERY company that offers high-performance speakers & amps, has problems from time to time ,,,, if they say they don't they are not telling the truth and that includes J&M ,,,,,

I have had the unique opportunity to see this bagger audio system craze really start to take off about 2006 ---- to what it is today, and the PERFORMANCE differences are absolutely night & day from 2006 till now ,,,,,

the BIGGEST challenge is not making the system loud, but making it live ,, mile after mile down the highway ,,,,,

if you turn the volume up on the system in your car or truck too far and it starts distorting, you turn it down because it sounds bad ,,,,,, same with the system in your house ,,,,,

it is not that way with the Harley systems ,,, because at high speed you cannot HEAR when it is distorting, so we go down the road, mile after mile, hours on end, driving the poor little speakers to maximum ,,, really heating them up over time and then we wonder why they quit ,,,,,,

I am just as guilty as the next guy ,,,, I ride my StreetGlide down the freeway at 80+ and I want to HEAR and ENJOY my music while I ride ,,,,,

THAT is why I made the ROKKER XX speaker ,,,, because HEAT & distortion is what destroys a speaker, regardless of brand ,,,,,

The J&M ROKKER XX has the largest voice coil cooling vents I have ever seen on any speaker designed for automotive or motorcycle use ,,,,, ((I won't be a salesman now and give you a link on this thread)) ,,,,,

THEN I put them thru my own personal torture test, by "doubling" the normal gain controls on one of J&Ms big 500w amps ,,,,, turning the volume to maximum on the Harley HK radio ,,, speakers distorting badly, to the point of just being plain RATTY "",,,,,
I let them play like that for 14 solid hours ,,,,, without any damage at all to the speakers & amp ,,,,,, Neodymium magnet temperatures never exceeded 148 degrees ,,,,,,

WHY would I do such a thing ? ,,,,,,,,,

1 ,, for bragging rights ,,,, I have been in the motorcycle audio business for 35 years, and I like to be THE BEST at what I do ,,,,,,

2 ,,,, I wanted to finally offer our customers a speaker that they could abuse, day after day, mile after mile, and not have to take their faring apart every week to change their speakers ,,,,,,,

3 ,,,,, J&M Corporation is in the money making business ((in contrast to our damned government)) so I knew that if I took the time to design a speaker like this and have it built, I would probably sell lots of them and hopefully make a little profit ,,,,,,

I am old and fat now after all these years and some things in life are getting pretty basic ,,,,, LOL ,,,,,,

thanks for listening ,,,,,,

Quick Reply: Blown speaker