Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default audio upgrade

I’ve got 2013 Ultra Limited and just had a Zumo 665 installed. The wife and I have put 15 thousand miles on it in just over 4 months. So we are on the road quite a bit and are willing to pay whatever it takes to make the experience the best possible.
We are really enjoying the XM radio and have been listening to the stock audio/speakers and would like upgrade, but don’t know if it is necessary to add an amp or just upgrade speakers.
I’ve already got the XM antenna under the fairing somewhere and so I’m not sure if that is going to interfere with adding an amp.
I don’t know much about my options either. We prefer to upgrade things only once. I don’t like to buy parts that may be better than stock and then have to turn around and replace them when they aren’t good enough.
Would like to hear options from anyone that has an opinion on what would be best.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer
Received 286 Likes on 126 Posts

In my opinion; A good quality set (4) of speakers will make a very noticable difference and is usually good enough for most, however if you really like to jam it an amp is a great boost. Problem is though most amps seem to interfere with FM signal so radio stations are not reliable. Not sure how the amps have been affecting XM though. If your a do it yourselfer go ahead and try new speakers and if you find yourself still wanting more an amp is an easy upgrade if you follow UltraNutz's installation instructions

Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I agree with Jetblack3's info above. Change out the speakers first, both front and rear. The Polk MM651 speakers are a great option for this upgrade and also provides an upgrade path if you decide to add an amp later on.

1.) it's the least expensive and least time consuming upgrade and will make a MOST notable difference.
2.) if you decide to add an amp, the Class D amps (usually notated in the description of the amp) are the ones that pose issues with FM and then it's hit or miss. Might work perfectly fine.
3.) 15k in 5 months.. Damn I wish I had that much time to ride.. :-)

Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default Thanks

That sounds like great advice. I'll do just that.

It looks like the MM651's are bigger than the stock speakers. Do I have to buy some adapters separately? Is there a kit I can get that has 4 speakers? Can I get everything I need from 1 place?

Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to order speakers and then find out I need something else.

Last edited by rkoivisto; 07-28-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

well the thing that needs to be paid attention to more than anything is the impedance of the speakers (ohms). With a stock head unit you'll need to stick with 2 ohm speakers and the Polks are 2 ohm (actually 2.7 but close enough).

So on to your questions. Polk doesn't sell a 4 pack so you'll need 2 pair of them. Also the 6.5" adapter rings (only needed for 2 fairing speakers, the rears will drop right in the existing hole without modification), there are a ton of vendors out there with them.

Dragonfly Cycle Concepts
Cycle Sounds (these are dragonfly adapters)
Arc Audio (everyone seems to like these the most with polk speakers)
Scosche

many others too. Aside from the rings, nothing else is needed.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default Many thanks

Thanks man. I appreciate your patience.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default polk speakers

So, I got my 4 polk speakers and the adapter rings for the front are on their way. I didn't expect to have a crossover to deal with.

Will the crossover fit in the rear speaker area of a Limited? For the front speakers, do I just wire tie the crossovers to something behind the fairing?

Would like to get this right the first time, so any input would be appreciated.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

they will not fit inside the pods with the speakers however take a look here and you'll see where most are mounting them with doublestick tape or velcro. They're out of the way, out of weather, and until you pick up the backrest flap you'll never know they're there.

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
So, I got my 4 polk speakers and the adapter rings for the front are on their way. I didn't expect to have a crossover to deal with.

Will the crossover fit in the rear speaker area of a Limited? For the front speakers, do I just wire tie the crossovers to something behind the fairing?

Would like to get this right the first time, so any input would be appreciated.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 AM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
For the front speakers, do I just wire tie the crossovers to something behind the fairing?
To mount the front crossovers, just slip them behind the horizontal fairing braces and zip-tie to the brace. They are neatly tucked away there.

Attached Thumbnails audio upgrade-img_0296.jpg  

Last edited by rbferg; 08-15-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:57 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default Done deal

OK, I got the speakers installed and we went for a ride today.

You guys gave some great advice. I'm super pleased with the result. The audio quality is 10X what it used to be.

Thanks for all the help.