Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marine Grade my a$S!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Mentalmadness
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Marine Grade my a$S!

So I got what I consider to be a killer stereo in the bike MM speakers in the front and lids and a nice sony deck in the dash....Cycle sounds lids with the membrane and the silicone in every possible spot.....with that all being said I rode to work on a nice evening....Well in the morning when it was time to come home I think ohio may have had a monsoon...

Needless to say the stereo wont turn on now(was blank this morning, now the face has a few lights)

The saddle bags have 2 inches of water in them....

And I had to pour my shoes out when I got here...lol

The speakers leak water into the bags from the center of the speaker...And I have no clue why the deck wont work....i guess I still need a rain cover even if its a marine grade?

This is basically a rant but if you have any good advice please share!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

#1 suggestion would be to take the face off the head unit, put it in a ziploc bag with rice in it. Let it dry out and your display will come back. If you try to power these things up when they're wet inside, you run the risk of ruining it forever.

Cycle Sounds.. yep.. they don't seal well and precisely why I recommed the BA lids or the new HT lids. THEY SEAL. Just got caught in a torrential rain storm on 64 out of Highland NC a couple of weeks ago. Went back to the bike expecting to find my saddlebags fill with water as well. To the testament of BT, that BT479 kit they have and spent so much time and $ on R&D paid off. No water in my bags at all. Simply opened the bags turned the lids upside down and all water poured out of the speakers. Left the system turned off for about an hour and then fired them up and they sounded just as good as they did before.

Oh, and I had the BT spalsh guard over the radio.. no issue with that...

Old 07-21-2013, 11:37 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
#1 suggestion would be to take the face off the head unit, put it in a ziploc bag with rice in it. Let it dry out and your display will come back. If you try to power these things up when they're wet inside, you run the risk of ruining it forever.

Cycle Sounds.. yep.. they don't seal well and precisely why I recommed the BA lids or the new HT lids. THEY SEAL. Just got caught in a torrential rain storm on 64 out of Highland NC a couple of weeks ago. Went back to the bike expecting to find my saddlebags fill with water as well. To the testament of BT, that BT479 kit they have and spent so much time and $ on R&D paid off. No water in my bags at all. Simply opened the bags turned the lids upside down and all water poured out of the speakers. Left the system turned off for about an hour and then fired them up and they sounded just as good as they did before.

Oh, and I had the BT spalsh guard over the radio.. no issue with that...
BA Lids? HA lids? Pardon my ignorance, but what are the brands?

Just bought and had the Cycle Sounds painted. But since I live in sunny CA I guess it doesn't matter too much. Just curiosity at this point.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

BA - Boom Audio - CVO Style Lids
HT - Hogtunes - New lid that just came out and is pretty impressive especially with it's water drain channels.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Mentalmadness
Cruiser

i wonder if the whole radio is toasted or just the face plate...I can get the radio to come on but thats about it....doesnt seem to read the USB

Old 07-24-2013, 11:04 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

MM.. if you want to pull it and mail it to me, I'll be happy to tell you...

Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Mentalmadness
Cruiser

tell if its fried? or fix it....?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

tell you if it's the face toasted or the head unit itself...