Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amp cutting out

I've done a complete upgrade of my stereo system (I'll post everything when it's done) and it sounds awesome. I have one last issue that is totally baffling me. I have the Arc Audio 125.4 in the fairing and when I put on the outer fairing, it apparently creates a repeated short at high volume (Based on the amp's fault code). The amp will cut out and if the volume is turned back down, will come back in about 30 seconds I've tried to replicate the fault with the fairing off by pressing on the wiring, with no luck. I've disconnected each speaker individually and tried installing the fairing, but that didn't work either. Another strange thing I've noticed is that it does not cut out at the same volume all the time. Sometimes it's just below half volume, sometimes it's just above. This problem never occurs with the fairing off, though. I did notice some small nicks on the wires for the 105 harness (the inner fairing switches) and I thought I had the fault replicated by pressing on those wires, but it's not consistent. I taped up the wires and was thinking my next move may be to use butt splice connectors to remove the areas with nicks. I've been in touch with Brad at Arc Audio and he seems baffled by this as well. Maybe someone can think of something we haven't.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Dave, any luck last night with troubleshooting?

Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

That's a very tight fit for the ARC 125.4 under a faring. I have some suggestions but if you are talking to Brad, he should be able to guide you.

If it's not an overheating issue...because that amp will get very warm when driving 2 Ohm speakers, then it's likely that you are compromising an associated connection/wire by applying pressure when you install the faring.

The fact that it does not stay "broke" leads me back to heat. You should also double check and ensure that you have no speaker wire filaments making inappropriate contact with other wire filaments on the speaker output block of the amplifier. On the other side of the amp, pull the fuses and push them back in place as well. Make sure that your power leads are solid and tight.

After you install the faring, could something be working it's way into the opening where the fan sucks in air and preventing the fan from turning? Is anything blocking the air exit openings on the speaker side of the amplifier?

Are you using the sensing feature to turn the amp on and off or are you using a relay?

So these things come to mind based on your symptoms.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Dave, any luck last night with troubleshooting?
I thought I had it figured out. The wires I soldered from the radio front output to the RCA cables seemed to have a bad connection. I redid those with butt splice connectors and it seemed to work. Once I buttoned everything up, the issue started again. This time, it also involved the rear speakers. I'll check everything again in the morning, but it seems like it's getting worse. If I have the same problem, I'm gonna have to say it's the head unit.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 AM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
That's a very tight fit for the ARC 125.4 under a faring. I have some suggestions but if you are talking to Brad, he should be able to guide you.

If it's not an overheating issue...because that amp will get very warm when driving 2 Ohm speakers, then it's likely that you are compromising an associated connection/wire by applying pressure when you install the faring.

The fact that it does not stay "broke" leads me back to heat. You should also double check and ensure that you have no speaker wire filaments making inappropriate contact with other wire filaments on the speaker output block of the amplifier. On the other side of the amp, pull the fuses and push them back in place as well. Make sure that your power leads are solid and tight.

After you install the faring, could something be working it's way into the opening where the fan sucks in air and preventing the fan from turning? Is anything blocking the air exit openings on the speaker side of the amplifier?

Are you using the sensing feature to turn the amp on and off or are you using a relay?

So these things come to mind based on your symptoms.
I have checked the speaker connections several times and they seem OK. As far as the heat issue, I don't think anything is blocking the fan and the power leads are tight.

I'm using an accessory wire to turn on the amp. According to Brad, using the auto sense with the HK unit can cause problems.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to replicate the issue with any regularity. I may have to take the bike to an audio shop and let them figure out what I can't. As I mentioned to UN, I'm leaning toward the head unit right now.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser

OK, I checked the amp with a different source and I couldn't get it to fault. Now to test the head unit.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:54 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

man you sure have had your share of issues with this. I missed your call yesterday as I was out riding.. Give me call today if you still need me...

Old 07-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
man you sure have had your share of issues with this. I missed your call yesterday as I was out riding.. Give me call today if you still need me...
I'm going to test the head unit directly, as all 4 channels cut out yesterday while riding. It would be logical explanation of why I couldn't replicate the faults.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser

Tested the head unit directly and there are no issues. I'll let it run awhile to see if maybe it's a heat issue.

So by themselves, the radio and the amp are fine. Pretty confusing.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Fire4Effect
Cruiser

OK, so if you've been following along, we know the amp and the head unit are working properly as stand alone units. So obviously the problem is when they are connected. When I first started this project, UN recommended that I buy two line output converters, which I did. According to Arc Audio, it isn't needed for the 125.4, so I didn't use it. I simply set the input to high and went about my business.

So I know there is an issue with how the head unit interfaces with the amp and I remembered I still have that extra line output converter. Fifteen minutes later, everything is working fine. It seemed like a lost a bit of volume, so I turned the gains all the way up. The system sounded good, but not perfect. I took it for about a 20 minute ride and everything still works. Had I followed UN's advice from the beginning, I would probably have saved myself a ton of aggravation.

We'll see if this is a permanent fix. Thanks again to UN, Carl and Scott for their assistance. I'll post pics and descriptions when I get a chance. Hopefully I learned enough that I can help someone else to have a smoother install on their project.

Last edited by Fire4Effect; 07-21-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Amp cutting out