Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6x9 speakers in saddlebags need more air? Port?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:40 PM
ScreamingSkulls
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 6x9 speakers in saddlebags need more air? Port?

I redid my speakers and threw in some Alpine SPE-6090 6x9's in the saddlebags. Running Soundstream PN4.320D to each channel the 6x9's sound great and have great bass response when the lid is cracked or open but close it and they fall flat. Any opinions or has anyone added small ports that improved their rear speakers?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

interesting.. those speakers must have some parameters that call for a larger enclosure.. The BT/HAT and Pioneer speakers sound amazing sealed up in those bags.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 AM
supermario1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new hog tunes 6x9 speakers say they sound best with the bags empty in the directions.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 PM
ScreamingSkulls
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
interesting.. those speakers must have some parameters that call for a larger enclosure.. The BT/HAT and Pioneer speakers sound amazing sealed up in those bags.
I was torn between the alpine and pioneer and knew I should have picked the pioneer. Oh well.

Originally Posted by supermario1
My new hog tunes 6x9 speakers say they sound best with the bags empty in the directions.
Yeah I tried with empty and full and they are just flat as hell but come to life when the lids are cracked.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 PM
yank721
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey just curious if you used wooden adapters to mount them? I used nylon spacers to mount mine. I'm asking because there is a gap all the way around my speaker minus where the screws mount. Can you hear yours at all when riding? Even low speeds? I know you won't hear them at highway speeds but I can't really hear them at all if the bike is on. If th bike is off they sound decent but still not what I was expecting. So I'm wondering if not using a wooden spacer has made them not sound as good? I hope this makes sense lol. I have 12 street glide and its on the rear outputs of the ss 4520 amp and there the pioneers 6x9's. so I know I have plenty of power running them. Any thoughts will be appreciated thanks

Old 07-16-2013, 05:43 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this is your problem or not. But I ran into an issue when I first installed mine.

My adapters had some pretty large gaps in areas. The speakers didn't sound that great even though they were all 4 of them getting a full 150 watts to them each.

I sealed the spacers to the inside of the bags and completely isolated the outer woofer from the inside of the bags. The difference was night and day to my ears.
In my case, when the bags were closed, the speakers were fighting each other. A lot of the sound pressure that should have been firing to the outside of the bags, were sending that pressure to the inside and fighting its self if that makes any sense.

Once I sealed them they sounded 100% better than before. If yours are doing the same thing, its basically like just tossing the speaker in the bag and closing it.
All that sound needs to be directed out of the bag or the speakers fight them self and sound like crap.

And that is why it sounded better when you open the bag.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM
ScreamingSkulls
Tourer

Nope to the wooden spacer. I used the plastic one that came with it and then threw some window seal foam around the front of the plastic ring so when I mounted them to the inside of the bags they were air tight.

I have one in each bag, did the old trace, drill holes to the side.

I can't hear them at all, in fact sitting in my garage you can barley hear them but pop that top up and bag, fills the air full of joy.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScreamingSkulls
Nope to the wooden spacer. I used the plastic one that came with it and then threw some window seal foam around the front of the plastic ring so when I mounted them to the inside of the bags they were air tight.

I have one in each bag, did the old trace, drill holes to the side.

I can't hear them at all, in fact sitting in my garage you can barley hear them but pop that top up and bag, fills the air full of joy.

2013 Road Glide Custom Saddlebag Speakers DYI - YouTube
Ok, stupid question but any chance you have the speakers wired wrong? If the neg. pos. are switched, the speakers will do what is called "out of phase". Instead of firing towards the outside, they fire towards the inside of the bag.
They will still play like this but not sound as good and will have more sound from the rear of the speaker than the front.

It's worth a shot to swap wires and see if that is it.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM
ScreamingSkulls
Tourer

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
Ok, stupid question but any chance you have the speakers wired wrong? If the neg. pos. are switched, the speakers will do what is called "out of phase". Instead of firing towards the outside, they fire towards the inside of the bag.
They will still play like this but not sound as good and will have more sound from the rear of the speaker than the front.

It's worth a shot to swap wires and see if that is it.
Not a stupid question at all and I don't have an answer. BRB, out to the garage.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 PM
yank721
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish mine would have came with a spacer ring lol. I just used 1/4 inch round by 3/4 tall nylon spacers so there is a 3/4 inch gap between the speaker and the side of the bag. No real way to seal it off completely unless I mount it directly with another spacer. Mine def sounds better with the lids closed so I'm not sure if I'm having the same issue or not. Lol

Quick Reply: 6x9 speakers in saddlebags need more air? Port?