Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6x9 speakers in saddlebags need more air? Port?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masonsean012885
I wish mine would have came with a spacer ring lol. I just used 1/4 inch round by 3/4 tall nylon spacers so there is a 3/4 inch gap between the speaker and the side of the bag. No real way to seal it off completely unless I mount it directly with another spacer. Mine def sounds better with the lids closed so I'm not sure if I'm having the same issue or not. Lol
Mine didn't come with spacers. I had to make them. With the shape of the read of the bag, there is no way around it. You have to make a stepped spacer to make up that big gap.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:18 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
Mine didn't come with spacers. I had to make them. With the shape of the read of the bag, there is no way around it. You have to make a stepped spacer to make up that big gap.
you can buy thick ABS from
Amazon Amazon
but I find it's very difficult to work with in trying to make something like this. Simply use 3/4" plywood building it up in thickness where needed and make sure you seal the wood prior to installing so it won't soak up water. Thompsons water seal is good for this..

Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 PM
ScreamingSkulls
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Well it's not the speakers. Something I did in the wiring to the amp.

See all these walk throughs on how to wire amps and speakers that I have read assume you have 4 speakers already. My road glide came with front only and I had front high inputs to use only which I feed all 4 high input channels with. I'm not sure if using the front high inputs into the amp and then running 4 speakers from the 4 channel amp has anything to do with it. The front infinity speakers jam its just the back. Im off to the docs for an appointment and then when I get back I'm taking front fender off again. I have a group ride this saturday and sure would love to get power to all 4 speakers. Ive never been this lost in all my audio installs, of course this is the first bike.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Toofat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your problem is you didn't drill enough holes in the back of saddlebag. It looks like, in the video, you have less than 20% open area in your speaker location. Not enough holes equals poor sound quality. If I were you I'd drill another row of holes in between the ones you have already.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:29 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by Toofat
I think your problem is you didn't drill enough holes in the back of saddlebag. It looks like, in the video, you have less than 20% open area in your speaker location. Not enough holes equals poor sound quality. If I were you I'd drill another row of holes in between the ones you have already.

Good point. While I did not listen to mine before I did it. I went back and doubled the number of holes.

I started with this...................

And I finished up with this.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Here is what I did to seal the speakers properly. After sealing them, I removed the excess and painted it all black.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Here is a shot of the "test fit" before sealing them up.
You can get an idea of what I did for spacers. The rear speaker is a 2 piece spacer to make up the difference of the shape of the bags.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:05 PM
ScreamingSkulls
Tourer

OK so I'm a dumbass.

You look at an amp and it has:

white / white black
Black / Black white strip
Green / Green Black strip
Grey / Grey black strip

...and assume....pay attention here. I said ASSUME that the strip is negative as it typically is. NO! The soundstream amps are negative every other strip and positive every other striped wire so I had all my speakers hooked up half *** backwards. They all sound amazing now.

Sorry to trouble everyone and take up precious minutes of your life because I assumed.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 PM
ScreamingSkulls
Tourer

BigGelvis - Yeah I plan on adding more holes. I just didn't want to get them to close and possible break a section out. What size bit did you use?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:59 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by ScreamingSkulls
BigGelvis - Yeah I plan on adding more holes. I just didn't want to get them to close and possible break a section out. What size bit did you use?
I would be lieing if I told you............lol
I really don't remember but I think it was around 1/8

Quick Reply: 6x9 speakers in saddlebags need more air? Port?