Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Robert Petrone
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Problem

Hey everyone, I have searched and searched through the forums and can not find an answer so I thought I would post this problem, hopefully someone can tell me what to do.. A few weeks ago I turned on my CB and while looking at the display screen it looked as though the PTT button was pushed, I brought it to dealer to find out the warranty was out for 2 days (figures). Anyway I cleaned the button with electrical cleaner and works fine, so now here is the problem. I can receive over the CB very clear, when I push PTT button it highlights like it is transmitting, on another CB I can hear it key-up but nothing but static, until the PTT button is released. What will cause this? I was thinking about the coax cable maybe be bad, so was going to go to Radio shack and get an adapter to use my antenna for my truck's CB but I have no idea what size it is, any idea? If that is the problem then will replace the coax..If anyone can point me in the right direction of a size for cable it will be deeply appreciated. Also have been told that my settings are off and to put them back to factory, the dealer says they are in the owners manual, (not in mine,) so does anyone know the factory settings? Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading it

Old 07-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Are you using a microphone at all?

Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I could be wrong, but sounds to me like the Harley CB module itself has an issue ,

Old 07-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Suggestion: Google Clay's Radio and talk to him; probably knows more about HD CB's than anyone else you will find.

Also, if you replaced the OEM CB antenna with a shorty of some kind it's possible/likely you damaged the CB module because the transceiver that broadcasts needs to properly tuned to avoid damage to the unit.

As it is, HD's OEM antennas are not very well tuned, and HD doesn't use the optimum cable for its application. Lots of possible causes.

You may also have an issue with your headset connection, or the headset mic itself.

Carl

Old 07-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion...Either the mic you are using is bad, or the SWR's aren't tuned for the antenna like Harleypingman stated. See if there is a CB shop near you (usually truck stops). Not a lot of them around anymore, but if you can find one, they can help you troubleshoot. I would start with trying a different mic that you know works if you have one available.