Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kurt84
I am running 10amp wires. The ground may be suspect as I believe I grounded it up front to an existing ground terminal. I have the amp set to AP and the AVC set to "#2". I just got off the phone with RF tech support and they said the ground needs to be moved to the battery, but that will make it longer than the 30" maximum that the manual specifies. He also said to change the amp setting from AP to HP with the crossover set to around 80 to 100hz. Any feedback on the techs recomendations?
The ground does not have to be run back to the battery, any bare metal spot on the frame or triple tree should do. I have mine grounded to the unused threaded hole in the triple tree with no issues. You could try the spot that UltraNutZ mentions on the side of frame near neck if you want to by-pass the triple tree. I have my RF set to HP with freq between 60-70hz and gain @ 5 with no problems and I push it fairly hard.

Last edited by rbferg; 06-17-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 AM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the same set-up that I am running. As far as the wire guage goes, I dont remember the manufacturer, but it was a amp installation kit. What guage should I be running?
10 guage kit that I purchased from Car Toys with a 30 amp fuse. Ground running to triple trees. I believe my amp is set at AP with gain around 11 o'clock position. Used the "by ear" method in UltraNutz instructions.

Check out UN's step by step installation for this setup in the stickys. I followed it to the letter, and have had no issues at all. I run this thing blasting all day long. Of course, only have about 3000 miles on the setup so far, so can't speak to longevity, but really am not having any of the issues that others have been reporting.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

That is the same set-up that I am running. As far as the wire guage goes, I dont remember the manufacturer, but it was a amp installation kit. What guage should I be running?
in your first post you stated that you're running 4 ohm speakers. In this post you state that you're running MM651 which are 2.7 ohm speakers. Can you clarify for me please

Old 06-18-2013, 03:37 PM
kurt84
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
in your first post you stated that you're running 4 ohm speakers. In this post you state that you're running MM651 which are 2.7 ohm speakers. Can you clarify for me please
They are Polk Audio MM651UM which are listed as 4 ohm

Last edited by kurt84; 06-18-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I am running 10amp wires. The ground may be suspect as I believe I grounded it up front to an existing ground terminal. I have the amp set to AP and the AVC set to "#2". I just got off the phone with RF tech support and they said the ground needs to be moved to the battery, but that will make it longer than the 30" maximum that the manual specifies. He also said to change the amp setting from AP to HP with the crossover set to around 80 to 100hz. Any feedback on the techs recomendations?
RF techs usually won't recommend something like this if they think it won't help. The running of the ground back to the battery is not a big deal as long as you don't wind up with engine noise.

You mention that you think the ground is suspect. What size ground wire are you using and where exactly is it grounded.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:45 PM
rbferg
Road Master

They are Polk Audio MM651UM which are listed as 4 ohm
Are you sure you have the Polk MM651UM's? The grills on those are not removable so you can't mount them in the fairing and they are 4 ohm speakers. The Polk MM651's are 2.7 ohms even though I believe they say 4 ohms on the box. The MM651's are what you should have if you have them mounted in the fairing. The link below shows what you should have...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...dio-MM651.html

Last edited by rbferg; 06-18-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 PM
kurt84
Advanced

Originally Posted by rbferg
Are you sure you have the Polk MM651UM's? The grills on those are not removable so you can't mount them in the fairing and they are 4 ohm speakers. The Polk MM651's are 2.7 ohms even though I believe they say 4 ohms on the box. The MM651's are what you should have if you have them mounted in the fairing. The link below shows what you should have...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...dio-MM651.html
I listed the correct part number...I 'removed' the grills to make them fit properly.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM
kurt84
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
RF techs usually won't recommend something like this if they think it won't help. The running of the ground back to the battery is not a big deal as long as you don't wind up with engine noise.

You mention that you think the ground is suspect. What size ground wire are you using and where exactly is it grounded.
I cant remember what guage the ground wire is...I used what came with the 10 ga install kit that I purchased.

Last edited by kurt84; 06-18-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Gearheaddrew
Cruiser

RF and Yaffe both recommend running the ground to the battery..

Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 PM
BykerBill
Intermediate
Default Fodgate amp

I installed a Rockford fosgate PBR300X2 amp with polk audio 6.5 inch 4 ohm speakers in my 2012 FLHX. It sounds really good, but after the system is playing for about an hour, it shuts down for a few minutes and then starts up again. I had it velcroed (sp?) to the receiver, then I installed 1/2" spacers thinking that it would help, but it still shuts off. It is not even hot here in PA yet, so it will only get worse as the temp rises. That amp is putting off a lot of heat. I am not overdriving the amp with too much volume. I am assuming that it is the amp since the stock Harley receiver still runs and CDs continue to play although nothing is coming out of the speakers. Has anyone else had this issue and do you have any solutions? Thanks
I had this problem with the 4 channel amp. The issue is the amps over heat as you crank the volume on the radio. You need to get a high/low bypass filter and install in on the speaker wires coming out of the radio. Very simple. One end connects to the 4 speaker wires which then connect to the fosgate harnes which you plug into the amp. There is a dial on the bypass for left & right. Set the amp gain at 5 and then put the volume on the radio to the "M" on volume. That should be a good starting point to adjust every thing.

I have an FLHTC and after connecting the bypass all my volume, clipping issues were over. I have Hertz 6.5 speakers and the sound is awesome...

Just make sure you connect the ends correctly not backwards.

Also I leave the high pass filter on the amp to normal giving me nice low end, just keep the bass and the treble low on the radio, maybe 2 or 3 bars tops.

Bykerbill

Quick Reply: Overheating Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Amp