Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok thanks, Well the only thing I dont like about the PN4.520D are the issues with the FM problems as I do like to have my radio at times but I guess I will consider it as an option.

If I opt to not worry about having a fader control what 2 channel amp would be the way to go then of the two I mentioned? I do like your idea of running two PN2.350D's but I have the problem with fitting them both?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:29 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

on a street glide I don't think you'll have an issue with fitting 2 of them in there. However it's a Class D amp as well and is likely to cause FM issues also. The BT 2180 is also known to cause FM issues, just as many other Class D amps. Get a ferrite core that Gone Riding suggests and you'll eliminate the FM issue

Old 06-12-2013, 04:41 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
on a street glide I don't think you'll have an issue with fitting 2 of them in there. However it's a Class D amp as well and is likely to cause FM issues also. The BT 2180 is also known to cause FM issues, just as many other Class D amps. Get a ferrite core that Gone Riding suggests and you'll eliminate the FM issue
This would be on an 05' electra glide classic.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Vivid Glide 103
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no what we're telling you is
  1. the SSPN2.350D is a more powerful amp than the PBR300x2
  2. you're better off using a 4 channel amp or (2) 2 channel amps to accomplish your goals.
  3. If you're looking for power and not concerned with anything else, go with 2 PN2.350D amps. that would give you 175x4
Would the SSPN 2.350D be a good amp to run stock speakers (until I can upgrade them) and then JM 7.25's? How difficult/easy is the install?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid Glide 103
Would the SSPN 2.350D be a good amp to run stock speakers (until I can upgrade them) and then JM 7.25's? How difficult/easy is the install?
No,.............& no !! You'll blow the stock speakers VERY easily with that amp............... Only a few bucks more to add the Polk MM651's !!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Vivid Glide 103
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
No,.............& no !! You'll blow the stock speakers VERY easily with that amp............... Only a few bucks more to add the Polk MM651's !!
Ok. Kinda what I was thinking. I'm going to do the 651's first, then the amp. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Vivid Glide 103
As GP so eloquently pointed out... NO... LOL

The problem is the stock speakers are rated at 40w max. That amp will tear those things up.

If folks are going to do this in stages, I'd normally suggest the speakers first but in your case since you've got an 05 which requires a different approach because the stock speakers are 8 ohm and that's what the radio is designed for (can't use lower impedance speakers) you would have to change both at the same time.

Again, as GP pointed out; you can do a LOT better than those J&M speakers. The BT 7.1" are $249 and a lifetime warranty. if you go the route of 6.5" MM651 speakers, they're actually quite a bit less expensive.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Vivid Glide 103
Cruiser

As GP so eloquently pointed out... NO... LOL

The problem is the stock speakers are rated at 40w max. That amp will tear those things up.

If folks are going to do this in stages, I'd normally suggest the speakers first but in your case since you've got an 05 which requires a different approach because the stock speakers are 8 ohm and that's what the radio is designed for (can't use lower impedance speakers) you would have to change both at the same time.

Again, as GP pointed out; you can do a LOT better than those J&M speakers. The BT 7.1" are $249 and a lifetime warranty. if you go the route of 6.5" MM651 speakers, they're actually quite a bit less expensive.
UN, thanks for your answers. I am kinda bombarding you on posts and pm's. Thanks for your help. I would like to go with the 7.1's because I'm sure the bigger speaker will give more bottom end if packed with enough poly. I think I will delay for a bit so I can get them...unless a to good to pass up deal comes up. Thanks to all for the help!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Call Bill at Biketronics directly.. He'll hook you up..

Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 AM
sl33py
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badazzpred
Ok so I've decided Im going to move my BT Titan II's to my lower fairings and run a new set of BT7P1's in the upper fairing I plan to run them in parallel. I would like to know what amp would be the best choice? The 2 in question are the

Rockford Fosgate PBR300x2 or the
Soundstream PN2.350D

Also I see theres so much emphasis on the Polk audio MM651's So Im not opposed to running a set of these Instead as they seem to get rave reviews but would they work for this set-up?

Thanks
Hmm... this got me thinking and not sure how it would work...

So if he ran his existing BT Titan II's and added MM651's in parallel - how would that work? Or not at all? Titan II's being 4 ohm, MM651's being 2.7 ohms...

I know we'd usually run both 4 ohm speakers for 2 ohm load, or 4ch w/ each it's own (obviously no problem). It's the mixed 4 and 2.7 ohm i'm curious about.

As for the amp - if you go a SS 350 - you can add a lead sheet between HU and amp which is supposed to help, and/or the ferrite chokes to help eliminate EMI. If you know you *may* do this when you pull your power and ground wires - give yourself an extra 12" or so if you need that length to wrap around the ferrites.

GL!

Quick Reply: Which Amp?