Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony Head Unit Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sony Head Unit Question

I recently purchased and installed JBL 6.5" 3way in the front fairings and in the rear on my 2007 Ultra Classic. Already a big difference in sound from stock. I will be ordering a Sony MEX BT4100p head unit and install kit from Biketronics. This head unit has 6 channel preamp outputs front, rear, sub. Could I install another set of JBL 6.5" 3way in my lower fairings and run them off of the head unit? If I did would I lose power? If so How much? I am trying to go the most cost effective route. If this set up is not going to work or there will be too much power lost then I will just get the J&M 7.25" with Amp. Thanks for the help

Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

your Sony headunit won't be able to handle the load of 6 speakers unless you wire the front to the front outputs normally, then wire the lowers and rear speakers in series. Which is RR+ on radio to lower right speaker +, lower right speaker - to rear right speaker +, then rear right speaker - back to radio RR- output. Basically making a loop from radio to lower to rear back to radio and do the same on the left side.

What I would suggest is
1.) Stick with your JBL speakers. Those J&Ms aren't going to sound anywhere close to what the JBLs will.
2.) Get something like a RF PBR300x2 and run that on your fairing and lower speakers wired in parallel, then simply tie your rear speakers to the rear speaker outputs of the radio

Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 AM
travis dasher
Road Captain

Ultra Nutz, thank you for the response. I will take your advice and run the fairing and lower speakers by amp and run the rear off the radio. So parallel would simply be right fairing and right lower into one channel and left fairing and left lower into another channel, correct? Thanks again

Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

yes sir that is correct. This will bring the impedance load the amps sees with these 2 pair of JBL speakers down to 2ohms which is where that amp is happy. This will provide for a much better "in your face" sound stage, especially cruising down the road...

Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain

Ok so here is another question. So would it be better if I got a 4 channel amp and run each set of speakers on it's own channel giving each channel 2 ohms (JBL speakers are 2 ohms)? This would leave an extra channel if I ever decide to add another set (which I absolutely will). Of course physical size of amp is an issue. Alpine makes one that has the dimensions I am looking for. Thank You again

Old 06-12-2013, 04:36 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One channel runs 1 speaker. If you have 4 speakers, use your 4 channel amp. There won't be any channels left. If you run 6 speakers, you'll have to share, ( divide power in half), with 2 sets of speakers.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Power is ALWAYS better in audio. The Alpine amp you're looking at; is it the KTP445U? If so this is a drastic improvement over stock but I'll be honest with you.. You'll get a LOT more bang for your buck using the SS PN4.520D amp and it will fit inside the fairing as well and will also leave 2 extra channels for later use.

Originally Posted by travis dasher
Ok so here is another question. So would it be better if I got a 4 channel amp and run each set of speakers on it's own channel giving each channel 2 ohms (JBL speakers are 2 ohms)? This would leave an extra channel if I ever decide to add another set (which I absolutely will). Of course physical size of amp is an issue. Alpine makes one that has the dimensions I am looking for. Thank You again

Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain

Thank You for the advice and education. Another Question regarding the same radio. The other day on my ride home the right thumb control that cycles through AM,FM,CD,WB,AUX fell off and is stuck on AUX and WB. I cannot manually change the source. I will be purchasing the new stereo and retro install kit this weekend. Will this affect the function of the new SONY BT4100P operation? Will I be able to manually change the SOURCE from AM, FM, etc without using that thumb control? I will be taking it to the dealer to have it looked at and fixed regardless just because I dont like broke stuff on my bike. Thank you again

Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Ryder7140
Intermediate

If the switch is still ok just get the little black **** from Harley. It just slips on the flat metal shaft sticking out of the switch. I think they get ya for about $5.00. Mine came off the volume control switch. Put a new **** on a couple of years ago it still on there.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

If you can't change the mode on the radio itself that means the switch (inside the switch housing) itself is broken. You'll need to replace this switch before you do the biketronics and aftermarket head unit otherwise you're going to have the same problem.

Originally Posted by travis dasher
Thank You for the advice and education. Another Question regarding the same radio. The other day on my ride home the right thumb control that cycles through AM,FM,CD,WB,AUX fell off and is stuck on AUX and WB. I cannot manually change the source. I will be purchasing the new stereo and retro install kit this weekend. Will this affect the function of the new SONY BT4100P operation? Will I be able to manually change the SOURCE from AM, FM, etc without using that thumb control? I will be taking it to the dealer to have it looked at and fixed regardless just because I dont like broke stuff on my bike. Thank you again

Quick Reply: Sony Head Unit Question