Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, ok, I bought an amp....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Turk05
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, ok, I bought an amp....

All right, I've now got a SS PN4.320D on it's way. I have 2 questions.

1. What's the best way to mount this amp in a 2011 Road Glide Ultra fairing? I can't get the ezzell email to work. Is there a good road glide bracket out there? Industrial velcro has been mentioned as well. What's my best option?

2. What is the max power for the Harley Boom rear pod speakers? I know they are 2 ohm, but I can't find power specs anywhere. The Boom amp looks like its 40 watts, but is there anyone out there that knows this elusive information? (Nutz, I think you mentioned 60 watts, but can we be sure on that?)

Thanks all....

Old 06-03-2013, 11:57 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question #2................won't matter,.....you'll blow them up with the SS amp !!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Turk05
Advanced

No kidding? Well, I guess that will save me some wiring time...

Any thoughts on the mounting? Anyone have a bracket suggestion? or is velcro the way to go?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Velcro will work fine..

Old 06-04-2013, 02:04 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

that amp is pretty lightweight so heavy duty velcro will work fine. You could always look over at hog tunes for the bracket.

http://www.hogtunes.com/products/pro.../06-newer.html

Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

and I agree with GP.. those BA speakers won't last long with this amp.. If I recall correctly, the max power on those speakers is 60w.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Turk05
All right, I've now got a SS PN4.320D on it's way. I have 2 questions.

1. What's the best way to mount this amp in a 2011 Road Glide Ultra fairing? I can't get the ezzell email to work. Is there a good road glide bracket out there? Industrial velcro has been mentioned as well. What's my best option?

Thanks all....
Best case scenario is to fab a bracket. It's the route I went. I feel that the amp is too heavy for velcro. Not that the velcro couldn't hold it...but too difficult to "align" the amp where it would need to go. It's VERY tight between the inner fairing and glove box.

Here's a pic before lots of trimming for final shape:

Prior to getting "covered up."

A little fabbin', but can work out well.

Beav

Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Turk05
Advanced

My metal-working skills are primitive at best. I think I'll try the velcro first... Beav, now I know where to mount the crossovers as well.

Nutz, 40.00 for the bracket is a bit steep, but If I need to go that route, I will.

Much appreciate the input guys.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of luck Turk, it's gonna be fun!

Be sure and post pics of your install once it's completed.

(Side note...) I've seen a really neat install where the cross overs where actually in the lowers. That would be my plan if I had it to do over again. (run one wire per speaker instead of two)

Keep us posted.

Beav

Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Turk05
Advanced

Ok. Install done. Wiring went fine, used one side of the High inputs for the 651's. Left the rear speakers running through the stock radio. Velcro'ed the amp into the right side of the road glide fairing to stay away from the 12 volt outlet wiring on the other side. With a CD and with pandora, this set up sounds amazing. The improvement over stock is great. Wrapped the speakers in poly-fill, and struggled a bit to get the fairing back together. Used Nutz's gain by ear method and the volume is good, with no distortion that I can hear. I was trying to watch the Blackhawks last night and finish this project as well so it took me longer. Didn't get done until this afternoon because of the issue below.

Now the problem. FM reception is spotty/intermittent. I messed around with the wiring, and noticed that when I moved or relocated the wires, it affected the reception. I wrapped the power/ground wires in foil,moved them around, ran them under the amp and kept the speaker wires up over the amp, and tied them out of each others way as best as I could. I got it sounding ok, but there is still a very low hiss on fm, even with the speakers on mute. I'll see in the next few days if the reception varies. I have the amp well away from the radio, and it sure seems that the power lines were causing the issue.

Any one else encountered this issue with the SS 4.350, and if so what did you do? I did wire the speaker harness ground to the auxiliary ground on the head light wires, and this is the only power wire that can not be physically separated from the speaker wires. Can this be the issue?

Also, I am sorry, but I forgot to take photos, but this looks like any other install you all have done... I velcroed the crossovers to the front of the fairing under the gauges, one on each side...

Last edited by Turk05; 06-09-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok, ok, I bought an amp....