Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of the blue, just popping sound coming out of all the speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Braveheart1222
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of the blue, just popping sound coming out of all the speakers

Clarion VZ401 (7" flipout)
cadence 6.5 coaxials acoustics momentum cs3.65
CDT M6 mid/bass 6.5
RF T**** 6x9's in the bags
Orion amps (CO6004 and C06002) These will be replaced wth SS520
8 gauge positive (wired to the battery positive post
10 ground (wired to the battery negative post)? sure I need to change this to a 8 gauge...

Everything was fine all last week, after running wires for the lowers and testing.. (surprising that this setup sounded as good and clear as it did.. was very unsure about the Amps and Cadence 6.5...) now all the speakers just make a popping sound... no music...all the amp fuses are intact... but, I didn't add anything new... just re-routed the wires for the lowers....????

CDT & 6x9 are powered by the 2 channel (maybe first mistake)
Cadence are powered by the 4 channel as another set of 6.5 will be used in the lowers... (my thought would be to power the cadence with the 4 channel only using the front channel on the amp (wired in a series)?

when I get those SS520 the goal would be to wire them the same for the fronts (series) on using two channels... and for the rear using the second SS amp wire them seperate 6x9 on the front channel and CDTs on the rear channel (maybe setting them as Low pass for the CDTs... (thoughts?)

2nd question for those of you that mounted amps in you saddlebags... how did you route your wires to keep them hidden as much as possible...

Old 06-03-2013, 12:02 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of bike do you have ??

I mounted 2 amps in the tourpack, and routed the wiring through the rear speaker pods, to conceal the wires.

Last edited by GLACIERPEARL; 06-03-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

sounds like a clipping amp to me. Possibly shorted a speaker wire...

Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM
sl33py
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you selectively power each speaker just from the HU to troubleshoot if it's the amp or speaker?

If that works - Then try each amp if the speaker is good. You'll also get a chance to reseat all the wires in case something was loose or not in good contact.

Of course this only happens after you've already wired everything and zip tied it all down with nice wire dressing... Some long 14-16g "patch cord" wires to bypass and run each direct might be worth creating to test if so.

HTH - GL!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Braveheart1222
Advanced

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
What kind of bike do you have ??

I mounted 2 amps in the tourpack, and routed the wiring through the rear speaker pods, to conceal the wires.

2013 roadglide ultra

Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Braveheart1222
Advanced

Originally Posted by sl33py
can you selectively power each speaker just from the HU to troubleshoot if it's the amp or speaker?

If that works - Then try each amp if the speaker is good. You'll also get a chance to reseat all the wires in case something was loose or not in good contact.

Of course this only happens after you've already wired everything and zip tied it all down with nice wire dressing... Some long 14-16g "patch cord" wires to bypass and run each direct might be worth creating to test if so.

HTH - GL!
Thats always the case... I will tear it done this evening...

Old 06-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Braveheart1222
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
sounds like a clipping amp to me. Possibly shorted a speaker wire...
climping... can that be fixed... or i need to replace the amps? this is happening on all speakers

Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Braveheart1222
climping... can that be fixed... or i need to replace the amps? this is happening on all speakers
clipping is usually the direct result of a shorted speaker wire (when I say shorted I mean shorted to ground as it touching metal somewhere), shorted RCA cable, or a shorted speaker voice coil and if you catch it soon enough it won't damage the amp. In your case because of the lowers comment above, I think I'd take it apart and find out where those speaker wires are shorting.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Braveheart1222
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
clipping is usually the direct result of a shorted speaker wire (when I say shorted I mean shorted to ground as it touching metal somewhere), shorted RCA cable, or a shorted speaker voice coil and if you catch it soon enough it won't damage the amp. In your case because of the lowers comment above, I think I'd take it apart and find out where those speaker wires are shorting.
ughhhhhhhhhh.... Thanks

Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

got a question for you please..

All speakers listed below are 4 ohm speakers. Why are you wiring your speakers in series which effectively doubles the ohm load to 8 ohms (in your configuration) and lowers the output of the amp. Both the orion amps you're referring to are stable at 2 ohms and so are the SS amps. So with that said, why don't you simply wire your front speakers, lowers and fairing in parallel (+ to + and - to -).

Originally Posted by Braveheart1222
Clarion VZ401 (7" flipout)
cadence 6.5 coaxials acoustics momentum cs3.65
CDT M6 mid/bass 6.5
RF T**** 6x9's in the bags
Orion amps (CO6004 and C06002) These will be replaced wth SS520
8 gauge positive (wired to the battery positive post
10 ground (wired to the battery negative post)? sure I need to change this to a 8 gauge...

Everything was fine all last week, after running wires for the lowers and testing.. (surprising that this setup sounded as good and clear as it did.. was very unsure about the Amps and Cadence 6.5...) now all the speakers just make a popping sound... no music...all the amp fuses are intact... but, I didn't add anything new... just re-routed the wires for the lowers....????

CDT & 6x9 are powered by the 2 channel (maybe first mistake)
Cadence are powered by the 4 channel as another set of 6.5 will be used in the lowers... (my thought would be to power the cadence with the 4 channel only using the front channel on the amp (wired in a series)?

when I get those SS520 the goal would be to wire them the same for the fronts (series) on using two channels... and for the rear using the second SS amp wire them seperate 6x9 on the front channel and CDTs on the rear channel (maybe setting them as Low pass for the CDTs... (thoughts?)

2nd question for those of you that mounted amps in you saddlebags... how did you route your wires to keep them hidden as much as possible...

Quick Reply: Out of the blue, just popping sound coming out of all the speakers