Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I killed my Polks.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 AM
Voldemort
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I killed my Polks.

We took a beautiful trip down to Mount Magazine National Park in South central Arkansas this past week. Mount Magazine is the highest point in Arkansas and has great views.
Anyway, when I installed my UltraNutz Special (Soundstream amp/Polk MM651's) and I set the gains to my type of music. 60's and 70's rock. We listened to my music via blue tooth for a better part of the trip. Then my wife asked is she could sinc her iPhone to the blue tooth and listen to some of her music. BIG MISTAKE!!
She listens to that hippity-hoppity hip hop mumbo jumbo crap that has a lot of bass in it. We both ride with ear plugs in so it cuts down on the wind noise. I can hear the radio and the engine better with them in. Well, obviously not good enough.
We were on the road for about an hour and a half then pulled in for a break and noticed the music sounded like crap. I thought it was just her music. Both speakers blown. I have never blown any speaker in my life. I just installed these in January and this was our first trip.
Do the Polks have a warranty? I through the box away though.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Primetime_2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Polks have 1 year warranty. I registered mine on their website

Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

in the case of listening to this type of music, I highly suggest whatever speaker you put in there, regardless of brand or size that you set the crossover pooint on the amp to 80 and flip the switch to HP mode. This will keep all low end bass out of these speakers

Old 05-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Voldemort
Tourer

I have a email sent into Polk because I can't remember if I registered my speakers. I have the receipt of purchase but I don't remember if I registered them. I am at work right now and can't remember where I bought them but it is on line and pretty much everyone else has gotten them there too.

When I put the new speakers in I will look to see what settings I have on the amp.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Primetime_2
Tourer

i had to return mine because something was loose inside one speaker when I shook it. Nutz said to replace it, but amazons rules are I have to return the whole works so if you bought from a non authorized polk dealer, they told me they can't help me! Just a heads up.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Primetime_2
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
in the case of listening to this type of music, I highly suggest whatever speaker you put in there, regardless of brand or size that you set the crossover pooint on the amp to 80 and flip the switch to HP mode. This will keep all low end bass out of these speakers
how should I set mine up Nutz if I wanna play music through my MP3?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Voldemort
Tourer

I emailed Polk on my registration/warranty questions yesterday morning. Still no response. I too bought them from a "unauthorized" dealer. If you save close to $100 on a pair why not! I guess I should have bought their extended warranty package like I did on the pair I bought last night off of eBay for $135.99 and $20.99 for a three year warranty. Lesson learned. I'm going to take Ultra's advice and set my amp up on the HP mode. You can't hear the bass going down the road anyway.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Primetime_2
Tourer

Originally Posted by Voldemort
I emailed Polk on my registration/warranty questions yesterday morning. Still no response. I too bought them from a "unauthorized" dealer. If you save close to $100 on a pair why not! I guess I should have bought their extended warranty package like I did on the pair I bought last night off of eBay for $135.99 and $20.99 for a three year warranty. Lesson learned. I'm going to take Ultra's advice and set my amp up on the HP mode. You can't hear the bass going down the road anyway.
I'd call them, it seems to me almost every business I email lately thinks that's a 48 hour window for answering! Frustrating to say the least! But I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing they told me.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 AM
mhill0826
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine from Amazon and the left speaker went out in about a week. All i had to do was send them back, i had a credit within five days. I bought them again from same seller, Global something or another. I didn't register them with Polk, just sent them back. Amazon has a 30 day automatic replacement policy for most things/seller.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 AM
WDE
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I apparently killed mine also.

SS-PN4 amp with MM651 in front and rear. Both gains were set with a DMM to 24.5V (@10 o'clock position).

About 2 hours onto a 4 hour trip, I noticed the front did not appear to be working, just the tweeter. I figured the outside wires worked loose, as I had and issue with them coming off during my repeated removal/replacement of the faring trying to tuck all the wires back in. I adjusted the fader and made do with the rears.

Upon return and pulling the faring, all the wires were attached. The left speaker would come on when jiggling the input splice to the harness, but nothing on the right. The right speaker showed no continuity in the +/- main. After pulling the right speaker, the tweeter stalk was frozen at about a 40 degree angle. The backside of the speaker also appeared to be moved out of alignment with polyfill melted to it. The left speaker tweeter stalk was @15 degrees off. I was running just above half volume with the AVC activated, listening to regular rock/country type music. I heard no distortion or anything else to indicate a problem.

Am I correct in assuming the AVC overpowered the speaker causing bad things to happen?

If I reinstall a new set on MM651s (I'm assuming this is not a warranty issue), how do I keep this from happening again? Lower gain setting? Set gain at max volume to compensate for AVC?

Last edited by WDE; 05-29-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: I killed my Polks.