Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I killed my Polks.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 PM
WDE
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me ask another stupid question about setting the gains with a DMM:

Do you do it with or without the motor running?

While playing around with it, I noticed the voltage shot up 4-5 volts from around 24.4 to 28-29 when I cranked the motor and had it running. I don't know if this is already figured into the original calculation.

This whole things has warped my head. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing indeed. I stink at electronics and need a beer.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

you are WAY over-thinking this whole thing....

set your gains with your bike off and be done with it...

Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Primetime_2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WDE
Let me ask another stupid question about setting the gains with a DMM:

Do you do it with or without the motor running?

While playing around with it, I noticed the voltage shot up 4-5 volts from around 24.4 to 28-29 when I cranked the motor and had it running. I don't know if this is already figured into the original calculation.

This whole things has warped my head. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing indeed. I stink at electronics and need a beer.
I have my gain at 1 which is the lowest setting, but if I crank it up like 3-4 lines shy of max she is pumping hard, and that way if someone else rides mine and cranks it up I won't have 2 tweeters laying on my tank!

Old 06-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Meanfarmer
Intermediate

I killed 3 polks admittedly my fault after getting too crazy with them. The tweeter stalks have deformed on them as well. It looks like the glue melted and they unseated. Makes me wonder if it really was my fault.

On another note, thanks ultra for all your help, I could not have done my system without your help and all the info you provide. I don't want to forget all the others on this forum either. Thank you all.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM
STL14
Advanced

I just noticed that the MM on one of the tweeters in my lowers has rotated 180 degrees. It was also angled in towards the engine. I re-centered it but it didn't seem to want to rotate and I didn't want to force it. Should the tweeter rotate? I assume its due to vibration or am I experiencing a busted mount as well?

Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rbferg
NEVER set the AVC past two bars!
Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
The AVC should be set no higher than 2 bars on stock radios
Glad I read this. I wouldn't have guessed but guess I should have. I've got it at 3 and will have to go drop it to 2. Is everyone sure 2 is good or would it be better to drop it to 1?

Last edited by Dew Me; 06-10-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by WDE
The backside of the speaker also appeared to be moved out of alignment with polyfill melted to it.
I blew one like this as well. It was a MM6501 (so no tweeter) but the pollyfill was melted to the back of the speaker, the plastic basket was melted, and the magnet was tilted at an angle. Sucker stank too!!! That smell has more staying power than skunk juice!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

You pump thumping bass into a 6.5" speaker and it's going to fail. They simply can't handle it even though they're rated down to 40hz. This is where the crossover of the amp comes into play. If you're going to be playing this kind of music it's probably a good idea to set the crossover switch to HP on any of these amps and set your crossover frequency to about 100hz.
*confused* Never really played with crossovers. Set it to HP and 100hz? Wouldn't that block the highest highs? I thought we were talking about blocking bass? Wouldn't that be blocking LP and setting at something low? Like 40, or 50, or so? I noticed a lot of bass coming out of my 6.5 components and am wondering if maybe I should be blocking some of it.

that's a damn good question and to further that; why Amazon is listed on the Authorized list and on the Unauthorized list.
Looks like in a roundabout way this has been answered, but the difference is whether it comes straight from Amazons fulfillment center (authorized) or THROUGH Amazon but shipped by a third party (unauthorized)

Last edited by Dew Me; 06-10-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dew Me
*confused* Never really played with crossovers. Set it to HP and 100hz? Wouldn't that block the highest highs? I thought we were talking about blocking bass? Wouldn't that be blocking LP and setting at something low? Like 40, or 50, or so? I noticed a lot of bass coming out of my 6.5 components and am wondering if maybe I should be blocking some of it.
When you set the cross-over to HP, all freq below the freq that you set are not passed to the speaker. For instance, if you set it to 100hz, all freq below that will not pass to the speaker. Also, I'm using the RF/Polk combo and I've had no trouble setting the AVC at two bars, just don't go any higher. I'd be willing to bet allot of folks are having trouble with the Polk's because they're setting the amp to AP and cranking them with the AVC set to high. I've got my RF amp set to HP and the freq between 60-70hz, sounds great, especially at highway speed where you lose all the lows anyway.

Last edited by rbferg; 06-10-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rbferg
When you set the cross-over to HP, all freq below the freq that you set are not passed to the speaker. For instance, if you set it to 100hz, all freq below that will not pass to the speaker. Also, I'm using the RF/Polk combo and I've had no trouble setting the AVC at two bars, just don't go any higher. I'd be willing to bet allot of folks are having trouble with the Polk's because they're setting the amp to AP and cranking them with the AVC set to high. I've got my RF amp set to HP and the freq between 60-70hz, sounds great, especially at highway speed where you lose all the lows anyway.
Sounds great. Thanks! I'll go with the 60-70hz like you are doing. Powering my system up for the first time today I could FEEL the bass from my MM6501's. I've got nothing against feeling bass and have had some serious subs in my cars, but am concerned about longevity of a 6.5 pumping that much bass.

Quick Reply: I killed my Polks.