Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I killed my Polks.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Those pics are really weird, I've been running my 651s for a year now and I don't have any issues. Something really strange going on for the tweeters to look like that!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:24 PM
mhill0826
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
ok guys.. those that have failed speakers... I just got off the phone with Mike aka Voldemort and I think I know what's going on. I've got a call into a guy at Polk to see if he can assist us with this.

Mike confirmed for me that the angle at which the tweeter was directed angles the tweeter towards the ground. This makes me suspicious of the glue being used on the tweeter posts not being adequate and the vibration causing them to come loose and therefore shorting out the speakers.

Can anyone else with the "angled tweeter" issue confirm that their tweeters were also angled downward?
My tweeter posts actually angled in toward the middle of the bike, which confused me because that's not going with gravity even. They went from dead center to angled about 1/4" in. I base this on how off center the post was from the speaker grill opening for the tweeter. I had one speaker go bad. In the bike for just a few days. The post was still rock solid though, I couldn't move it with modest finger pressure.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 PM
WDE
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone else with the "angled tweeter" issue confirm that their tweeters were also angled downward?
Had to go check (changed original response which is quoted below). Both front ones were angled down ("mm" toward the inside). Unknown on the rears.

Different picture of all 4 with the grills put on as a reference. Both front speakers are on the right of the picture.

Attached Thumbnails I killed my Polks.-dsc02519.jpg  

Last edited by WDE; 05-31-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 PM
mhill0826
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WDE
I can confirm the front 2 were as they were installed with the "mm" on the tweeter toward the outside.
Mine looked just like the bottom two. Mine were mounted with the "mm" toward the inside.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 PM
WDE
Advanced

Great customer service from Amazon, they really came through. Full refund, free shipping back, and will re-imburse for 1 day shipping should I order a replacement through them. Can't really ask for more under the circumstance.

Hello,

I'm sorry about the problem you had with your Polk Audio AA2651-A MM651 6.5-Inch Coax Speaker. I've checked your order and see it was placed with FireBall, a seller on our website. Because FireBall's inventory is constantly changing, we can't replace items sold by them that are Fulfilled by Amazon.

I've requested a full refund of $249.90 for the item. This refund will appear as a credit on your MasterCard in the next 2-3 business days. Once processed, you'll be able to see the refund request here:

To return the defective Polk Audio AA2651-A MM651 6.5-Inch Coax Speaker for a refund, first click the following link to print your return mailing label:

RETURN LABEL PAGE:

When you return the item, follow the instructions listed on the mailing label page. If you don't have a printer, write back by going to the URL below:

If you'd still like to purchase this item, I encourage you to return to our website and place a new order. To make up for the inconvenience, please place a new order with Amazon retailer via One-Day Shipping and write back to us with order number, we'll either waive or refund the shipping cost.

Please be advised that we're only able to refund the shipping charges of orders which are sold and shipped by Amazon.com directly or fulfilled by Amazon.

I've provided the current listing for this item below:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C3P6FI

One of our aims at Amazon.com is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we haven't met that standard. I'm truly sorry, and I hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Ranjith S

All ready received a follow-up email confirming the refund which will post in a few days. Think I'll drink a beer or 12 with cheers toward Amazon.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Primetime_2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WDE
Great customer service from Amazon, they really came through. Full refund, free shipping back, and will re-imburse for 1 day shipping should I order a replacement through them. Can't really ask for more under the circumstance.

Hello,

I'm sorry about the problem you had with your Polk Audio AA2651-A MM651 6.5-Inch Coax Speaker. I've checked your order and see it was placed with FireBall, a seller on our website. Because FireBall's inventory is constantly changing, we can't replace items sold by them that are Fulfilled by Amazon.

I've requested a full refund of $249.90 for the item. This refund will appear as a credit on your MasterCard in the next 2-3 business days. Once processed, you'll be able to see the refund request here:

To return the defective Polk Audio AA2651-A MM651 6.5-Inch Coax Speaker for a refund, first click the following link to print your return mailing label:

RETURN LABEL PAGE:

When you return the item, follow the instructions listed on the mailing label page. If you don't have a printer, write back by going to the URL below:

If you'd still like to purchase this item, I encourage you to return to our website and place a new order. To make up for the inconvenience, please place a new order with Amazon retailer via One-Day Shipping and write back to us with order number, we'll either waive or refund the shipping cost.

Please be advised that we're only able to refund the shipping charges of orders which are sold and shipped by Amazon.com directly or fulfilled by Amazon.

I've provided the current listing for this item below:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C3P6FI

One of our aims at Amazon.com is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we haven't met that standard. I'm truly sorry, and I hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Best regards,
Ranjith S

All ready received a follow-up email confirming the refund which will post in a few days. Think I'll drink a beer or 12 with cheers toward Amazon.

wish they would have offered me that! I gotta get mine sent back first then they'll give me back my money + you got 1 day shipping on the new ones! Damn good negotiater

Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 PM
WDE
Advanced

Mike confirmed for me that the angle at which the tweeter was directed angles the tweeter towards the ground. This makes me suspicious of the glue being used on the tweeter posts not being adequate and the vibration causing them to come loose and therefore shorting out the speakers.
Don't know if this will help solve the mystery but the angled tweeter stalks are not still dangling loose. Mine are firmly angled in place and will not budge.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Voldemort
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WDE
Had to go check (changed original response which is quoted below). Both front ones were angled down ("mm" toward the inside). Unknown on the rears.

Different picture of all 4 with the grills put on as a reference. Both front speakers are on the right of the picture.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you had four speakers installed? Two in fairing
and two in rear pods? And did you have the Polk grills installed in all four? Or just the rear? My though is that the Polk grills kept the tweeter stalks from coming all the way out. But, in my opinion the rear area by the speaker pods does not vibrate near enough to shake them loose. The handle bar/fairing area on the other hand vibrates a lot at idle. So if your tweeter stalks were at a angle in the rear maybe something else is at play. I wish we could find out if this tweeter thing is happening in autos as well.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Voldemort
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[attach]I killed my Polks.-image.jpg

I killed my Polks.-image-2-.jpg[/attach]\

Here are a couple pics of my tweeter stalks.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:23 AM
OLD MXR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a set that looks just like Voldemort. I called polk and they said that I was over powering the speakers and never heard of the tweeter post melting. Since I've changed them out I cut my gains down on my amp and don't listen to it over half way. I still can it here it fine at 80 mph

Quick Reply: I killed my Polks.